Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for the topic at hand, I do have a bit of curiosity about something, not that I have any plans, mind you, but I do wonder about something. Maybe we could start a thread for birthing practices after all, but I digress, here's the question: These "water births", my only familiarity with them comes from the show King of the Hill, actually. While I'm sure the show was a fount of factual information, I had read an article on Cracked once (man, I am batting 1.000 on great sources here), that discussed the idea that the current practices for giving birth in hospitals (e.g. in the horizontal) are completely backwards from the way women should be giving birth.

Is that correct? Is it (scientifically speaking) better to give birth in a more....for lack of a better word...squatted position? And is that the idea behind water births?
Standard practice in hospitals uses the 'semi lithotomy' position, which is sitting slightly reclined with the knees elevated in the same way they are for a pelvic exams. There are several reasons why this is not a great position to deliver. Your pelvic bones naturally have quite a bit of flex, mostly in the back around the tailbone. Sitting on the tailbone eliminates that flex and narrows the outlet. Moving to a forward leaning position actually allows the pelvic outlet to enlarge by something like 30%. Also semi lithotomy directs the weight of the baby's head on the perineum, increasing the incidence of tears. All those things tend to make babies slow descending and can contribute to interventions like episiotomy and vaccuum extractions, but hospitals like to use it because it's very easy for the doc to see, keeps the orientation looking the same as the medical textbook and all. It's very unusual for a woman to deliver in any other position in hospital. I know that I was bodily hoisted into it at my first birth.

Most women, if not directed otherwise, end up giving birth in some sort of upright or forward leaning posture. Hands and knees is a very common spontaneous position, which makes sense because it's the least amount of pressure for her. Sometimes if there is a really big baby with a very tight fit you end up with the woman in a very deep squat like on a stool or with a squat bar, but often you have to ask her to do it. That position puts a lot of pressure on the perineum and can increase tearing but gives the widest spread of the hip bones.

Water birth helps with those things in several ways. It's really, really relaxing so it helps with the pain a lot. It makes those forward leaning positions easier because of the lack of gravity. The warmth helps the soft tissue to stretch. For many women the privacy the water gives is a big deal- the woman is not totally exposed, and it encourages the docs to keep their hands off. Some medical staff get very handsy, often 'checking' a woman too often, sometimes without asking or even notifying her that they are going to, and some women find it impossible to focus and relax that way.

As for drugs, I think it would depend. Waterbirth and epidurals, spinal blocks or pudendal nerve blocks totally don't mix. I suppose you could have demerol/numbane if you were having a waterbirth in hospital, but most midwives or birth centers wouldn't offer it. But movement and the water (and touch) are really effective pain relief themselves, so it depends what you want.

That was really long, but if mods want to move this to a birth practices thread that's fine with me.

Also, nathan, I am sorry for the loss of your baby and also so sorry that you didn't get a little more humane respect in here about it. I get that people like to discuss, but I totally don't get the uncaring aggression within this forum. I don't understand why disagreement needs to sound so much like personal opposition.

Also, nathan, I am sorry for the loss of your baby and also so sorry that you didn't get a little more humane respect in here about it. I get that people like to discuss, but I totally don't get the uncaring aggression within this forum. I don't understand why disagreement needs to sound so much like personal opposition.

How did he get no humane respect here? No one laughed at what happened to one of his kids or insult him. I really don't know how you can say that.

Does FYM get aggressive here? Sure, it does. It always has been. Does it get personal? Yeah, if you offend someone, say something that doesn't make sense, or if you take a comment the wrong way. This is no different from many online forums.

It sounds like you are hijacking Nathan's posts so you can complain that FYM doesn't go the way you want it to go. That sounds very selfish.

Am I seeing things, or are they wearing ICP makeup?

insane-clown-posse.jpg

God, the implications of them doing that are so scary. What if they're reusing the same needle, or one thing...

Trans woman invents a revolutionary golf club. Grantland journalist decides she's a little bit strange and decides to "investigate" her private life, because he's a "reporter". Despite her protests, he threatens to out her as a trans woman with a few inconsistencies in her story. She kills herself, and the journalist seems completely oblivious to the fact that he's likely contributed to her suicide. He seems to think the "story" is worth telling. What the fuck does someone's gender have to do with a golf club?

Read and vomit.

Dr. V’s Magical Putter ?

No, the story I just read about this little boy killed in Louisiana is the absolute worst thing I've ever heard in my life. I'm actually feeling a little bit physically ill right now. This may not be the first time I've heard this story, I see it originally happened in 2011 and there was just sentencing this last week.

Didn't Fred Nile go on a bit of a rampage too, that her depression was a result of an abortion that happened 14 or so years ago?

slender man

tumblr_mi3zsofXyh1rk6ceho1_500.png

Once in the forest, the girls arranged a game of hide-and-seek, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports:

Geyser was the first "seeker," and Weier and the victim hid. Weier told the victim where to hide and told her to lie facedown in the dirt. The girl refused. Weier then pushed the victim and sat on her, thinking Geyser could stab her. But the victim began to yell and complain that she couldn't breathe. She was attracting attention, so Weier got off her.

Geyser gave Weier the knife, but Weier said she told Geyser she was too squeamish and gave it back.

Weier said that once Geyser got the knife back, Geyser told Weier, "I'm not going to until you tell me to." Weier said she started walking away from Geyser and then told her, "Go ballistic, go crazy." Geyser said she would go ballistic, and Weier said, "Now."

"I hate you. I trusted you," the victim reportedly screamed before the girls left her for dead. Somehow, she survived and was discovered by a cyclist who called 911:

Back
Top Bottom