Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #316
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac

I'm not singling you out here, but I just don't understand this. I'm all for edgy humour, but I don't think that rape is funny no matter what context.
What makes the offense taken by people who think rape jokes are inappropriate more important than the offense taken by people who think any other kind of joke is offensive? Should jokes about murder be out of bounds too? What about jokes about cancer? Aids? Lupus (god dammit, Otto)? Diabeetus? Being poor? Being fat? Anorexic? By all means, it's your right to be offended, but where does it say things that specifically offend you need to be stopped? (General 'you', not Bomac 'you'). And the whole silly game of "Oh, I'm so offended, I need to make him make a public apology to me" is juvenile

Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #317
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I don't believe in censoring them at all, I can just choose not to watch them or give them any of my money.
This

Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #318
45:33

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Doesn't really fit the thread, but this is crap.

Latest Word on the Trail? I Take It Back
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #319
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
"Pick 'Em Out and Knock 'Em Out,"

Prosecutors said the teens spotted Mora about 5 a.m. last Tuesday in a West Rogers Park alley. Malik Jones, 16, announced, "I think I'm gonna knock out this (expletive)," then started the video recorder on his cellphone and handed it to Nicholas Ayala, 17, Assistant State's Attorney Terry Clancy said at a bond hearing. Ayala handed the phone to Anthony Malcolm, 18, prosecutors said.

As the three surrounded Mora, Jones asked him if he had any money in his pockets, Clancy said. When Mora did not respond, Jones punched him in the jaw, she said. Mora fell, hitting the back of his head on the concrete with a loud crack that could be heard on the video, according to Clancy.

Jones moments later rifled $60 from Mora's wallet, prosecutors said.

"All three left the area laughing about victimizing the old man," Clancy said.

About three hours passed before a passer-by found Mora unconscious but breathing. He died the next day of blunt trauma, according to the medical examiner.

The recording of Mora's beating was later put on Jones' Facebook page, according to Clancy. A witness who told police he was assaulted by Jones last month shared the video with others until it was eventually seen by a co-worker of the victim's son, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors: 62-year-old's death just a game for 3 teens - chicagotribune.com
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #320
ONE
love, blood, life

The Onion getting all meta on our asses

Daniel Tosh Chuckles Through Own Violent Rape | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Is there a chance we could get the creeps from deep's story together with the one from indra's and just have them all beat each other to death or something?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #322
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey

What makes the offense taken by people who think rape jokes are inappropriate more important than the offense taken by people who think any other kind of joke is offensive? Should jokes about murder be out of bounds too? What about jokes about cancer? Aids? Lupus (god dammit, Otto)? Diabeetus? Being poor? Being fat? Anorexic? By all means, it's your right to be offended, but where does it say things that specifically offend you need to be stopped? (General 'you', not Bomac 'you'). And the whole silly game of "Oh, I'm so offended, I need to make him make a public apology to me" is juvenile
Thank you.

As the great Kyle Broflovski once said... "it's either all okay, or none of it is."

Comedy is an art form. Just like not every art form is for everyone, not every type of comedy is for everyone. But this whole outrage thing we have going as a nation these days is so childish it's sickening.

Acting is an art form. Christian Bale is getting ready to make, rough estimate, 30 trillion dollars this weekend alone.

Nobody tried to blacklist Bale because of the character he played in American Psycho. Nobody forced him to apologize for it. Some people enjoyed it, others did not. But he was allowed to continue his career because, well, it would be asinine to shut him down simply for doing what an actor does... act. No mob tactics were used... no threatening of companies, advertisers, promoters, etc.

Likewise, it's asinine to try and blacklist a shock comic for being shocking.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #323
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 PM
And here..we..go

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

During a radio interview on The Heritage Foundation's "Istook Live!" show, Gohmert was asked why he believes such senseless acts of violence take place. Gohmert responded by talking about the weakening of Christian values in the country.

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of a derelict takes place," Gohmert said.

"Some of us happen to believe that when our founders talked about guarding our virtue and freedom, that that was important," he said. "Whether it's John Adams saying our Constitution was made only for moral and religious people ... Ben Franklin, only a virtuous people are capable of freedom, as nations become corrupt and vicious they have more need of masters. We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country."

Ernest Istook, the host of the show and a former Oklahoma congressman, jumped in to clarify that nobody knows the motivation of the alleged Aurora gunman. Gohmert said that may be true, but suggested the shootings were still "a terrorist act" that could have been avoided if the country placed a higher value on God.

"People say ... where was God in all of this?" Gohmert said. "We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

Gohmert also said the tragedy could have been lessened if someone else in the movie theater had been carrying a gun and took down the lone shooter. Istook noted that Colorado laws allow people to carry concealed guns.

"It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?" he asked.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #324
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Stuff like that pushes me more and more towards the militant atheist brigade, something I've done my best to avoid.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Stuff like that pushes me more and more towards the militant atheist brigade, something I've done my best to avoid.

That's a person who is twisting religion and God, he doesn't represent all people of faith. I understand why you feel that way, but I don't want to be lumped in with people like him either. It's really not fair, I don't mean that against you.

It's disgusting and despicable for anyone to try to capitalize on this tragedy, and to seize on it for their own twisted purposes.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #326
Blue Crack Supplier

Typical response to gun crime: get more guns! So pointless...
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #327
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just another radical exploiting a tragedy for their political gain and/or rhetoric. One had nothing to do with the other at all.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #328
Blue Crack Addict

Another mass shooting, another time that follows filled with assorted loons, politicians, tv talking heads et al who will have their usual rants and raves and cries for action. Then it will all go away until the next one, and there will continue to be next ones. Lather, rinse, repeat
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
And here..we..go

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.
Maybe the 3-month-old baby should have been packing heat.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #330
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
What a flat-out straight-up terrible person.