Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fairfield is such a sleepy/boring place too. That seems to be the case often, it can happen anywhere.

Can't believe there's been a worse shooting than Columbine/Virginia Tech, and at an elementary school no less. So disgusting.

I remember at my school they put these card swipe things so you couldn't get inside without a student/teacher ID. Everyone was like "why? nothing happens here." Every school should do this now.

My CNN app has the pic of the kids leaving the school. They must take that down, it is too heartwrenching to see them so terrified.

I know you're never going to stop bad people from finding a way to get guns, but they have to make it as hard as possible to get automatic military style guns.

A small gun that holds 6 rounds or whatever is fine if people want to keep it in their house or if a woman wants it in her purse if she has to go somewhere alone, but these mass shootings are far different from that. Its always people who have mental problems who get powerful rifles and machine guns that can hold a ton of rounds, and multiple ones at that. I mean, the Aurora shooter bought rounds ONLINE. How can you buy ammo on the internet? Thats not right.

This makes me sick. I don't want to know it's real. I keep hoping the number 27 was an accident or something. Why would somebody do this? A massacre is one disgusting thing, but to children? Why?

Horrifying. Perverse. Right before the holidays, can't begin to imagine what those poor families are feeling right now.

Usual parroting of "now is not the time to talk about gun control". You're right, that day came and passed a long time ago. Seems like nobody in America, Obama very much included, has any kind of principled stand here. Sad.

CNN is saying the death toll is at 30 now.

NBC reports that one of the gunmen's father was found dead in New Jersey.

:scream:

Not only is this a gun control issue but also a mental health issue.

I want to own a gun and shoot for sport (no I do not hunt!) just as much as the next but there should be some rigorous checking and rechecking before allowing anybody to have one. I was surprised to see how easy it was in Florida to get both a rifles and handguns.

The details coming out of this story are getting more and more horrific.

There is no reason ANYONE should own an assault rifle for personal use. None. And for those saying it's too soon to talk gun control? Fuck You, it's to fucking late for those innocent children now isn't it. I'm getting angrier and angrier about this.

Also, they released the shooters name. Why?

Now there are reports that an entire class of kindergarteners were killed execution style!

The gunman, Ryan Lanza, first killed his father then went to Newtown and killed his mother who worked at the school.

Rot in hell you piece of shit.

I know you're never going to stop bad people from finding a way to get guns, but they have to make it as hard as possible to get automatic military style guns.

A small gun that holds 6 rounds or whatever is fine if people want to keep it in their house or if a woman wants it in her purse if she has to go somewhere alone, but these mass shootings are far different from that. Its always people who have mental problems who get powerful rifles and machine guns that can hold a ton of rounds, and multiple ones at that. I mean, the Aurora shooter bought rounds ONLINE. How can you buy ammo on the internet? Thats not right.

These are very popular recent gun control arguments, I think they're unfortunately a bit misguided. What difference does it make if someone buys ammo on the internet or goes to their local Walmart (one of the biggest retailers of ammunition in the nation)? It would be far easier for most to buy ammo locally than wait for it to arrive from the internet.

If someone is skilled with any sort of firearm, the entire reloading process can literally take seconds. The idea that the capacity of a magazine somehow makes a weapon any more dangerous is one of those things anyone experienced with firearms shakes their head in confusion at. In all honesty, higher capacity magazines actually make guns far more difficult to effectively handle, and drastically reduce the accuracy and reliability of most weapons. It's the reason the military themselves chooses to use standard sized magazines in all of their weapons, and most competitive sharpshooters choose weapons with smaller capacities.

A gun, in and of itself, is a dangerous weapon. The caliber, capacity, or location in which you can buy it does not make it any more or less dangerous. I've grown up around firearms since a young age, and am as avid a shooter or supposed "gun nut" as anyone, but I think laws designed to address the above issues are besides the point, and will not stop tragedies like what's happened today in any way. I absolutely agree that massive work needs to be done on gun control, and I think most of the efforts need to be placed on keeping guns out of the hands of those who would do things like this, not efforts that don't in any way make the said weapons less dangerous.

There's a ton that can be done, it just requires the ridiculously partisan country we live in to finally make concessions. The silly "nothing should be done" or "all guns should be outlawed" crap coming from either side is juvenile and unproductive. Everyone knows there's a problem, we know no one wants to upset the precedent set by the Bill of Rights, so do something about it inside of those constraints. Boo hoo if the government's costs with firearm and ammunition manufacturing companies will go up. Boo hoo if gun owners will have to take far more steps and time to acquire weapons and ammo. Freaking do something effective.

That all said, it still crushes me that these things continually happen in the US. What's wrong with our society and culture? Why does this stuff not happen in other countries where firearms are just as readily available? How could people do these sorts of things? It's horrible.

Maybe we should have a separate thread for this? Because this is a huge story and likely a major turning point in the gun control issue.

in the mean time

this man gets 1900 likes :up:

Police: Man Tries To Drown Wife In Dog Bowl After Fight Over Frozen Pizza � CBS Tampa

According to the police report, Debra Watson started watching the “12-12-12” benefit concert while her husband was in another room and he joined her after his show was over.

The two then got into a fight about the frozen pizza that was cooked after Richard Watson complained the crust was “raw” and flung his dinner plate on the floor. Debra Watson also threw her plate on the floor in response.

Police say that is when Richard Watson tackled his wife, grabbed her head, and shoved her face into the dog’s water bowl.

“She felt her life was going to end,” Orange City Commander Jason Sampsell told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

The paper reports that Debra was able to break free, but then her husband backed her against a corner and tried to strangle her.

Because this is a huge story and likely a major turning point in the gun control issue.

Huge story, yes. Turning point in the gun control issue, no, I seriously doubt it. In a week (or less) we'll all have moved on to more current stuff.

These are very popular recent gun control arguments, I think they're unfortunately a bit misguided. What difference does it make if someone buys ammo on the internet or goes to their local Walmart (one of the biggest retailers of ammunition in the nation)? It would be far easier for most to buy ammo locally than wait for it to arrive from the internet.

If someone is skilled with any sort of firearm, the entire reloading process can literally take seconds. The idea that the capacity of a magazine somehow makes a weapon any more dangerous is one of those things anyone experienced with firearms shakes their head in confusion at. In all honesty, higher capacity magazines actually make guns far more difficult to effectively handle, and drastically reduce the accuracy and reliability of most weapons. It's the reason the military themselves chooses to use standard sized magazines in all of their weapons, and most competitive sharpshooters choose weapons with smaller capacities.

A gun, in and of itself, is a dangerous weapon. The caliber, capacity, or location in which you can buy it does not make it any more or less dangerous. I've grown up around firearms since a young age, and am as avid a shooter or supposed "gun nut" as anyone, but I think laws designed to address the above issues are besides the point, and will not stop tragedies like what's happened today in any way. I absolutely agree that massive work needs to be done on gun control, and I think most of the efforts need to be placed on keeping guns out of the hands of those who would do things like this, not efforts that don't in any way make the said weapons less dangerous.

There's a ton that can be done, it just requires the ridiculously partisan country we live in to finally make concessions. The silly "nothing should be done" or "all guns should be outlawed" crap coming from either side is juvenile and unproductive. Everyone knows there's a problem, we know no one wants to upset the precedent set by the Bill of Rights, so do something about it inside of those constraints. Boo hoo if the government's costs with firearm and ammunition manufacturing companies will go up. Boo hoo if gun owners will have to take far more steps and time to acquire weapons and ammo. Freaking do something effective.

That all said, it still crushes me that these things continually happen in the US. What's wrong with our society and culture? Why does this stuff not happen in other countries where firearms are just as readily available? How could people do these sorts of things? It's horrible.

Well said. The only way to stop the crazies are to prevent them from being armed. Ultimately you can never be perfect, but it is way, way too easy to arm yourself.

Also -- has anyone considered the thought that maybe there are too many cops out there trying to pull you over for HOV violations and not enough stationed in schools? In high school (1200 students) we had generally one cop patrolling the campus. Its events like this and the 30some other school shootings that make me believe that schools should be a commonplace for police just as teachers, janitors, administration, and whatnot are.

I'm not sure about that. If this isn't a turning point, what possibly could be?

nothing

with each 'new' incident the arguments remain the same.

1. the gun was not the problem, the law breaker was
2. in Texas or (insert state here) people have the right to carry everywhere, and they will give examples of when a law abiding person used his gun to stop a bad person.
3. we have enough laws on books, we don't need new laws, we just need better enforcement
4. look what just happened in China 22 kids, not 18 were killied where guns are banned by a knife, people that want to kill will find a means to do so.
5. because bad people do bads things, we should not lose our Constitutional rights, why should bad people control what rights good people have

( I could probably write 10 more)

2012-12-14T173712Z_1364288230_GM1E8CF04D901_RTRMADP_3_USA-SHOOTING-CONNECTICUT.JPG

Days like this I wish I believed in Hell. A friend who's a reporter posted the shooters facebook and a video. I watched, and he was 4 years ago a normal college student.

They're saying to be careful with that though. This is a common name, so it might be premature. It could be him though. But usually its hard to know if someone is troubled just from pictures or a video. I bet there was something wrong with this person in the past, there are almost always warning signs.

deep said:
nothing

with each 'new' incident the arguments remain the same.

1. the gun was not the problem, the law breaker was
2. in Texas or (insert state here) people have the right to carry everywhere, and they will give examples of when a law abiding person used his gun to stop a bad person.
3. we have enough laws on books, we don't need new laws, we just need better enforcement
4. look what just happened in China 22 kids, not 18 were killied where guns are banned by a knife, people that want to kill will find a means to do so.
5. because bad people do bads things, we should not lose our Constitutional rights, why should bad people control what rights good people have

( I could probably write 10 more)

About the thing in China, I read that ~20 were wounded but none were killed.

Back
Top Bottom