Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had to scroll very fast through that last thing :sad: I could still kind of see the picture

I think this is pretty disgusting-it is supposedly not a joke

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- The pouf is mightier than the pen when it comes to speaking fees at New Jersey's largest university.

The Rutgers University Programming Association paid Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi of the reality TV show "Jersey Shore" $32,000 Thursday to dish on her hairstyle, fist pumps, as well as the GTL – gym, tanning, laundry – lifestyle.

That's $2,000 more than the $30,000 the university is paying Nobel-winning novelist Toni Morrison to deliver Rutgers' commencement address in May.

Money for Polizzi's appearance came from the mandatory student activity fee.

Freshman Adham Abdel-Raouf told The Star-Ledger of Newark he thought the price was a bargain given Snooki's popularity. Another freshman, Dan Oliveto, said it was a waste of money.

Snooki's advice to students: "Study hard, but party harder."

^ My first reaction, which may not be the most constructive one, is that her parents stunningly, monumentally overestimated what her "love of fashion" and "aesthetic sense" (and I'm not denying those really are in there somewhere) could reliably be assumed to point to at her age. Basically, the classic parent-as-friend-and-soulmate mistake.

Last edited:
I just can't believe she is STILL on any of those types of sites. That just shocks me, and really makes it seem like she has some sort of pathological addiction. What is up with those parents too?

The whole "I'm nothing without the identity I've created on the internet" thing too. It was all very strange, scary, and sad.

NORTH ANDOVER (CBS Boston) — A North Andover girl who beat cancer by the time she turned 11 is now facing a new battle. Cyber bullies.

Justine Williams, who lost a leg in her battle against cancer, hopes coming forward will give other kids the courage to stand-up for themselves. Starting in February she started receiving dozens of threatening texts and phone calls.

Williams says the messages three or four times a day that would say things like, “I’m going to kill your animals,” and “Set a bomb off outside your house,” and “I’m going to rape you.”

She became scared and didn’t want to go school, then her grades started to suffer.

“She would say, ‘I just don’t feel right.’ And I thought of is she sick again? I didn’t know what was going on,” said Jane Williams, Justine’s mother. She went on to say that she was angry and frustrated and couldn’t believe someone would bully her daughter.

They contacted police and found out the bully was someone they knew. In fact, Justine considered this girl her best friend.

Police told the Williams her friend was using a website to mask her number and sometimes sent those texts while Skyping with Williams to watch her reaction.

The cyberbully was ordered to get counseling and perform community service. Williams’ father says it’s not nearly enough.

“If this is middle school what’s this person going to be like in high school?” asked Michael Williams.

The Williams family isn’t identifying the bully in this case. The District Attorney’s office worked with Jane Williams to come up with the punishment in this case.

The school pulled the bully out of Williams’ classes and made sure the two have little to no contact.

ABC News

By JESSICA HOPPER
April 20, 2011

A slumber party in Minnesota ended in tragedy when two eighth grade girls fulfilled a suicide pact, killing themselves and leaving behind suicide notes telling their families that they loved them.

The bodies of best friends Haylee Fentress and Paige Moravetz, both 14, were discovered Saturday by Fentress' mother, Tracy Morrison.

Haylee's aunt, Robin Settle, said the girl had recently moved to the rural town of Lynd, Minn., and had complained to her family that she felt ostracized and bullied. Settle also said there are indications that the girls had planned their deaths for a long time, even including funeral details in a good-bye note.

"I'm shocked and I'm mad and I'm sad...I don't understand the mentality of kids torturing other kids, kids having to go through this. They don't think they have anywhere to go to," Settle told ABC News.com.

Settle said that her niece, Haylee, had been the victim of bullying after moving to Minnesota from Indiana with her mother and 8-year-old brother.

"She was made fun of for being overweight, her red hair," Settle said. "She posted on my [Facebook] wall that she really wanted to come back...that the people were mean and cruel and she didn't fit in."

Even though Haylee wasn't severely overweight, she was so uncomfortable about her size that she rarely ate in public at school, Settle said.

Paige was Haylee's closest friend.

"They were best friends. Haylee started school here about a year ago and over the course of the year, they'd become best friends," said Brett Behnke, Paige's uncle.

Paige played hockey and was teaching Haylee to skate, Behnke said.

"She had a big, round face and a smile that's intoxicating, just a charmer," Behnke said of his niece.

The two girls were so close, Haylee had hyphenated her last name on Facebook to include Paige's last name.

Haylee was recently expelled from school for defending Paige during a fight in school, Settle said.

Calls and emails to the Marshall School District to confirm this were not returned.

"That was really weighing on her, missing her friends and being excluded from school. She felt like she was defending herself and her friend," Settle said.

Minnesota Teens Leave Behind Suicide Notes

The girls died three days after Paige's mother and stepdad left for a 10-day vacation to Hawaii. Paige spent the night at Haylee's home.

"Her and Paige got really close. I think they've had this plan for some time," Settle said.

Sometime after 1 a.m. on Saturday, Haylee left a Facebook post for her cousin, Jessica, wishing her a happy birthday. After leaving a post on her cousin's wall, Haylee called her closest friend in Indiana, Settle said. Around 6 a.m., Haylee's mother found the girls.

"They did hang themselves. My sister found them. She's a medical assistant. She attempted to resuscitate them," Settle said.

Those efforts to resuscitate the girls failed.

The girls also left behind letters.

"She just didn't want anybody to be sad for her. She wanted everybody to pray for her and that's the gist of it," Behnke said of Paige's note.

Haylee's letter was to her mother and detailed plans for her funeral, Settle said.

"She requested everything pink and princess and butterflies," Settle said.

A funeral will be held Thursday for Haylee and a second one will be held for Haylee on Saturday in Indiana. Paige's funeral is scheduled for today.

"She was actually one of the most giving loving girls you would ever meet... She just loved everyone unconditionally...She couldn't stand people to be made fun of, tortured, teased. She stood up for the underdogs and she was one herself," Settle said.

I just can't believe she is STILL on any of those types of sites. That just shocks me, and really makes it seem like she has some sort of pathological addiction. What is up with those parents too?

The whole "I'm nothing without the identity I've created on the internet" thing too. It was all very strange, scary, and sad.

Just read that article in RS. Sad. I think your assessment is about right.

A transgender woman brutally beaten at a Baltimore County McDonald's spoke out on Saturday, saying that the attack was "definitely a hate crime" and that she's been afraid to leave the house ever since.

"They said, 'That's a dude, that's a dude and she's in the female bathroom,'" said Chrissy Lee Polis, who's 22 and says she stopped at the Rosedale restaurant to use the restroom. "They spit in my face."

A worker at the restaurant taped Monday's attack and created a graphic video that eventually went viral on Friday. After the video garnered hundreds of thousands of views on websites, McDonald's issued a statement condemning the incident and on Saturday, fired the worker that taped it.

The video shows two women — one of them a 14-year-old girl — repeatedly kicking and punching Polis in the head as an employee and a patron try to intervene. Others can be heard laughing, and men are seen standing idly by.

Toward the end of the video, one of the suspects lands a punishing blow to the victim's head, and Polis appears to have a seizure. A man's voice tells the women to run because police are coming.

"I knew they were taping me, I told the guy to stop," Polis said. "They didn't help me. They didn't do nothing for me."
McDonald's attack victim speaks out - baltimoresun.com

NY Daily News, April 27
Eight horses--one just a week old and another ready to give birth--died in a raging barn fire in Ohio that lawmen think was set because of hatred for gays.

Brent Whitehouse of McConnelsville said an orange glow outside his home on Easter night drew him to the horror. "I ran out there, but the doors of my barn wouldn't open and suddenly, flames were shooting up through the roof. That barn was gone in five minutes," he told the Zanesville Times Recorder. The flames were so hot a tractor inside the barn melted.

Still visible on the remains of the gutted barn's walls Tuesday were spray-painted epithets such as "f-gs are freaks" and "burn in hell," the newspaper reported. Because Whitehouse is gay and fire marshals determined the blaze was arson, the scrawlings were enough for authorities to launch an investigation into whether a hate crime had been committed.

The value of the horses was said to be in hundreds of thousands of dollars but Whitehouse, who owns an insurance company in the tiny village in southeastern Ohio, was hurt far more by the loss of Elvis, Barney, Love, Bella and Ethel, Floyd and Princess and her week-old foal, Buddy. "The barn I can rebuild, but the bond I had with those horses can't be replaced," said Whitehouse. "Whoever did this had to walk right by all those horses, including the baby, and didn't care that they were killing a gentle, loving animal. I just don't understand someone wanting to kill innocent animals. It's like killing a child."

Of the messages on the barn, Whitehouse could only shake his head and say, "They were hateful."

Last edited:
Kansas state Rep compares getting pregnant from rape to getting a flat tire.

Banning insurance coverage of abortion–in the new state exchanges as well as the private market–has been a favorite anti-choice tactic ever since health care reform. A couple weeks ago, Kansas became the latest state to pass a bill prohibiting all private insurance companies in the state from covering abortion care, except when the woman’s life is at risk.

Women will be free to buy separate riders if they anticipate needing an abortion in the future because, obviously, just like cancer and car accidents, an unintended pregnancy is something that they should be able to see coming. There was some disagreement in the Kansas House, however, as to whether that’s a reasonable expectation. The McPherson Sentinet reports:

And Rep. Barbara Bollier, a Mission Hills Republican who supports abortion rights, questioned whether women would buy abortion-only policies long before they have crisis or unwanted pregnancies or are rape victims.

During the House’s debate, Rep. Pete DeGraaf, a Mulvane Republican who supports the bill, told her: “We do need to plan ahead, don’t we, in life?”

Bollier asked him, “And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with a pregnancy?”

DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, “I have spare tire on my car.”

“I also have life insurance,” he added. “I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for.”

110519_childbrides1_highres_00054495.jpg

what therefore God did join together, let not man put asunder

The Young and the Betrothed - An FP Slide Show | Foreign Policy

komonews.com

TAHUYA, Wash. - A man was airlifted to the hospital after being shot in the torso with a hunting bow by his teenage daughter on Wednesday evening.

The incident unfolded at a home in the 300 block of NE Tee Lake Road in Tahuya in unincorporated Mason County around 8 p.m.

Mason County sheriff's spokesman William Adam said Tony Iovinelli was shot by his 15-year-old daughter after he took away her cell phone as a disciplinary measure. The girl refused to let her wounded father use the phone, forcing him to crawl to a neighbor's home, Adam said.

Neighbor Dave Blackwood said as Iovinelli came to his house with an arrow shot into his side.

"It went straight sideways," he said of the arrow. "It was parallel to his arm, right into his body."

As the two waited for help to arrive, Blackwood said his injured neighbor recounted the incident.

"He said that he was in his house and all of a sudden, he felt something. And he was shot in the side of the chest, and it was his daughter," he said. "He pushed her away and tried to get the phone. And she evidently had taken the phone so he couldn't call 911."

The 35-year-old victim was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in serious condition.

The girl ran from the home with the bow and at least 35 arrows, but was later found by a SWAT team in the woods behind her house. The team surrounded the girl, and took her into custody without incident.

After she was apprehended, the girl was found to be despondent with a serious medical issue, Adam said.

She was taken to Mary Bridge Hospital in Tacoma to be checked out, and is expected to be there a few days.

Since her father is the girl's only known family member, the girl will not be brought before any court until after being released from the hospital and medically cleared to be detained in juvenile detention.

abcnews.com

By SUSANNA KIM
June 15, 2011

Companies with fewer than 50 employees may offer little legal protection for employees requiring medical leave. Carl Sorabella of Natick, Mass., learned that the hard way.

Sorabella, an accountant, said after he told his employer his wife had lung cancer and would need a modified schedule to deal with it, he received a termination letter the following week.

"This is not an unprecedented situation," David Frank, a legal analyst with Lawyers Weekly, told ABC affiliate WCVB.

Frank said the termination is likely legal in part because laws protect firms that employ fewer than 50 people. Sorabella said his former company had about 20 employees.

The Family and Medical Leave Act, for example, only applies to private employers with 50 or more employees working within 75 miles of the worksite. That federal law gives employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per year for serious health conditions or to care for an immediate family member with a serious health condition.

"The reality of life is that it is a lot more difficult for a small company to deal with a situation where an employee is going to be out of work for an extended period of time than it is for a larger company," Frank said.

"When I told my boss, she said 'We were thinking about laying you off.' I thought, 'You can't do that,'" Sorabella told WCVB.

Sorabella, 43, says he offered to work evenings and weekends while he accompanies his wife, 44, during testing and treatments.

"Ultimately she said don't worry about it and come in on Monday, and when I came in on Monday I got a letter that I would be laid off," he said. Sorabella said the letter stated he was being laid off due to "workforce modifications." But one week after he was fired, he says he saw a listing for his job on the company website.

"She said, 'It's business. I'm running a company here, and I need to make sure the department runs.' And I argued that I would make sure the company runs," Sorabella said.

Sorabella, who had worked for the company for 14 years, says he had even received a raise in November.

In an e-mail, vice president of Haynes Management Mary Butler told WCVB "this is a private personnel matter and we are not going to comment publicly."

The company did not immediately respond to a request for additional comment.

Sorabella said he is speaking with an attorney and may look to the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, but he said there is almost no recourse for a small business.

"The company is considered a small company even though they have millions of dollars in annual sales," Sorabella said.

Kathy Sorabella, 44, said she was just as shocked as her husband when he was laid off. She said he was a diligent employee who went to work early and left late.

"He was one of these company guys," she said, adding that they did not have children.

Adding to their financial difficulties is their $60,000 worth of graduate school loans from Kathy's studies in psychotherapy. Kathy, currently undergoing chemotherapy, said she is considering trying to obtain a part-time job despite her nausea and loss of appetite. Kathy Sorabella said her cancer had not spread as far as initially believed, though she will not know if she has a year or 10 years to live until her next CAT scan in three months.

For now, Sorabella and his wife are surviving on his unemployment and her disability insurance while he looks for work.

"Now we're just spending time with each other," said Kathy. "This has been a horrific situation."

Rebecca Rose, the grandmother of a terminally ill child who gained attention after a neighbor harassed her on Facebook last year, told Trenton police on Thursday that she's still being targeted.
“I’m done. This is my life ... this is my dead daughter, my handicapped daughter who can’t even sit outside without (being called) a retard...this is my life,” Rebecca Rose told Trenton Patch on Friday.
Rose, a grandmother of a terminally ill 7-year-old girl, spoke out Friday about what she told police is constant harassment aimed at her and her granddaughter that has been going on for years.
The harassment, she said, is coming from Facebook posts, attributed to a handle that appears to be associated with her former neighbor Jennifer Petkov, 33. Jennifer Petkov made national news last year after she taunted the dying girl on Facebook.

Petkovs' Neighbor Tells Trenton Police: ‘I Can’t Take It Anymore’ - Trenton, MI Patch

Its stories like these that make me a) lose faith in humanity b) consider free speech restrictions online.

There are absolutely no words to describe this.....

Police: Florida teen killed parents with hammer, hosted house party - CNN.com

What do they mean by "alleged" murder weapon? It was lying between the bodies for gods sake - I'm sure the PARENTS didn't put it there....

And why SECOND-degree murder?? Are we to assume that he hit them with a hammer but didn't intend for them to die??

The mind boggles at the American justice system.....

YEESH!
:sad:

That's just beyond terrifying.

As for the second degree murder, he has been arrested and booked, not indicted or sentenced.

somal.jpg

Banadir Hospital, Mogadishu (Tyler Hicks/NYT)

New York Times, Aug. 1
The Shabab Islamist insurgent group, which controls much of southern Somalia, is blocking starving people from fleeing the country and setting up a cantonment camp where it is imprisoning displaced people who were trying to escape Shabab territory. The group is widely blamed for causing a famine in Somalia by forcing out many Western aid organizations, depriving drought victims of desperately needed food. The situation is growing bleaker by the day, with tens of thousands of Somalis already dead and more than 500,000 children on the brink of starvation.

Every morning, emaciated parents with emaciated children stagger into Banadir Hospital, a shell of a building with floors that stink of diesel fuel because that is all the nurses have to fight off the flies. Babies are dying because of the lack of equipment and medicine. Some get hooked up to adult-size intravenous drips—pediatric versions are hard to find—and their compromised bodies cannot handle the volume of fluid. Most parents do not have money for medicine, so entire families sit on old-fashioned cholera beds, with basketball-size holes cut out of the middle, taking turns going to the bathroom as diarrhea streams out of them.

...Aid groups are trying to scale up their operations, and the United Nations has begun airlifting emergency food. But many seasoned aid officials are speaking in grim tones because one of Africa’s worst humanitarian disasters in decades has struck one of the most inaccessible countries on earth. Somalia, especially the southern third where the famine is, has been considered a no-go zone for years, a lawless caldron that has claimed the lives of dozens of aid workers, peacekeepers and American soldiers, going back to the “Black Hawk Down” battle in 1993, spelling a legacy that has scared off many international organizations.

...People from those areas who were interviewed in Mogadishu say Shabab fighters are blocking rivers to steal water from impoverished villagers and divert it to commercial farmers who pay them taxes. The Shabab are intercepting displaced people who are trying to reach Mogadishu and forcing them to stay in a Shabab-run camp about 25 miles outside the city. The camp now holds several thousand people and receives only a trickle of food...Several drought victims who have succeeded in making it to Mogadishu said that the Shabab were threatening to kill anyone who left their areas, either for refugee camps in Kenya and Ethiopia, or for government zones in Somalia, and that the only way out was to sneak away at night and avoid the main roads.

...The magnitude of suffering could shift the political landscape, which has been dominated by chaos since 1991, when clan warlords overthrew the central government and then tore apart the country. The Transitional Federal Government—the 15th attempt at a government—is trying to assert itself and beat back the Shabab, and the famine and attendant relief effort could mean an enormous opportunity.

...[M]any aid organizations are reluctant to venture into Shabab areas because of the obvious dangers—the Shabab have killed dozens of aid workers—and because of American government restrictions. In 2008, the State Department declared the Shabab a terrorist group, making it a crime to provide material assistance to them. Aid officials say the restrictions have had a chilling effect because it is nearly impossible to guarantee that the Shabab will not skim off some of the aid delivered in their areas.

DALLAS (AP) — A 10-year-old Dallas-area boy who died of dehydration after his father and stepmother kept water from him was being punished for wetting the bed, authorities say.

The boy, Johnathan James died July 25 after water was kept from him for five days while temperatures soared to 100 degrees or more each day, police said. The boy's dad, Michael Ray James, and stepmother, Tina Alberson, both 42, were jailed after being charged Thursday with injury to a child causing serious bodily injury.

Johnathan's twin brother, Joseph James, and a 12-year-old stepbrother were not injured and are staying with relatives.

Attorneys for the dad and stepmother did not immediately return calls seeking comment left at their offices Saturday night.

Joseph told the Dallas Morning News (Boy who died of dehydration was punished for wetting bed | Dallas-Fort Worth Crime News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News) that his parents put Johnathan in a room without air conditioning and told him to stand by the window. Joseph said that on the day Johnathan died he had peanut butter stuck in his throat but his parents wouldn't let him wash it down.

"They still wouldn't let him have water," Joseph said.

Joseph told the newspaper he wanted to help his brother but was worried he would face similar punishment.

"I wanted to do something, but I couldn't," Joseph said. "I couldn't do nothing because I would get in trouble."

Police documents show the boy suffered until he collapsed at his father's Red Bird home and hit his head on the floor. He was taken to a hospital, and authorities say Michael James told authorities there that Jonathan was sick. Medical staff were unable to revive the child.

The boys' grandmother, Sue Shotwell, said Jonathan was easy-going and never held a grudge.

"This kid, if you know Jonathan, he could forgive you for no matter what you did," Shotwell said. "You could ground him, and he would say 'I love you, Mimi.'"

Back
Top Bottom