Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*Smacks forehead*

I love the constant need people have to blame scientists and weather forecasters for not properly getting weather/geological phenomenons right.

It's called guessing, people. Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it's not. They don't have crystal balls and do not control the actual storm or earthquake or flood or whatever.

That's absolutely insane. I hope they manage to fight and overturn that ruling.

Oh look, we've gone back to a time when it was okay to jail people for suggesting the Earth revolved around the sun.

Scientists found guilty for earthquake deaths

I read about this earlier today. If it's not overturned on appeals they can say goodbye to that earthquake warning committee all together. Who in their right mind would sign up knowing that they could get thrown in jail if they're wrong?

And check out these quotes

"This is a historic sentence, above all for the victims," said Wania della Vigna, a lawyer who represents 11 plaintiffs, including the family of an Israeli student who died when a student residence collapsed on top of him.
"It also marks a step forward for the justice system and I hope it will lead to change, not only in Italy but across the world," she said.

Aldo Scimia, whose mother was killed, wept as the verdict was read out.
"We cannot call this a victory. It's a tragedy, whatever way you look at it, it won't bring our loved ones back," he said. "I continue to call this a massacre at the hand of the state, but at least now we hope that our children may live safer lives," he said.

I mean, sorry for your loss, but fuck me. A massacre at the hand of the state. This truly is absolutely disgusting.

How is it a massacre at the hand of the state? Did the government cause the earthquake?

One could argue they are at fault for not building stronger houses. But then again, nobody bitched about that before the quake, so why would they have bothered?

With that in mind, those who died from the sinking of the Titanic did not get justice from the iceberg that struck it.

Really, you can't put nature on trial, which is what this case is about.

(CNN) -- Murder-suicides, by their very nature, leave a mountain of unanswered questions. When the killer pulls the trigger first on his victim and then himself, he takes with him to the grave the reasons that compelled the angry, desperate act.

Not so in the case of Radcliffe Haughton.

What prompted the 45-year-old former Marine to open fire at a suburban Milwaukee salon Sunday -- killing his wife and two other women, and wounding four others -- was foreshadowed in no uncertain terms by his estranged wife just three days earlier.

At a restraining order hearing Thursday, the wife, Zina, begged the court for protection, saying her husband would surely kill her.

With her voice shaking, she outlined how he'd threatened to throw acid in her face. How he accused her of cheating on him. How his red hot jealousy terrorized her "every waking moment."

"Things have gotten so bad. We need to separate," she said at the hearing, according to a recording obtained by CNN affiliate WISN. "We need a divorce before you hurt me. I don't want to die."

The judge sided with her. Haughton was ordered to stay away from his wife for the next four years. He was forbidden from possessing a gun.

But on Saturday, he bought a .40-caliber handgun from a private seller. Wisconsin law only requires background checks for purchases from a dealer.

And he waited.

The next day he took her life.

At the bizarre Thursday hearing, Haughton acted as his own attorney -- cross-examining his wife, asking questions that the judge refused to allow.

Haughton said his wife's infidelity was to blame for their failing marriage.

"I have been involved with Zina Haughton for most of my adult life. This is the woman that I love," he said.

"Things have not always been the best that they could have been but I can stand before the court, stand before God and say that I love her. I love her unconditionally. This situation was brought about by infidelity."

The wife said the abuse began long before the infidelity accusations.

She detailed a night when she said Haughton pulled a gun on her. It accidentally discharged. The bullet narrowly missed her and her daughter.

"For 20 years, we've fought. He's hit me. We've fought. But since May 29, the evening that he thinks I cheated on him, just the threats have gotten so bad, and like I said, I don't want to die," she said.

Police in the area say they had a long history of run-ins with Haughton, a general manager of a local Land Rover dealership.

"Since 2001, the Brown Deer Police Department has responded to calls for service regarding the Haughtons, ranging from animal complaints to domestic violence related cases," the Brown Deer Police said in a statement.

The police reports seemed to speak of a man who was destined to harm his wife.

In January 2011, Haughton was accused of throwing his wife's clothes out of their home during an argument and then pouring tomato juice on her car.

When police arrived, Haughton locked himself in the home and officers thought they saw Haughton holding a "long barreled" gun in the direction of his wife, according to a police report. Charges were eventually dropped in that case.

On October 4 this year, police say, Haughton slashed his wife's tires outside the salon.

After that incident, the wife applied for the restraining order.

"He threatened to throw acid in my face, burn me and my family with gas. His threats terrorize my every waking moment," she said in the request obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

On Saturday, Haughton walked into the two-story Azana Spa in Brookfield, outside Milwaukee, where his wife was a stylist. He was screaming.

"He yelled 'Everybody!' Get down. Get down,'" Betty Brunner, a customer in the salon, told WISN.

"And as I went to get down, Zina walked to the reception desk, and said, 'Calm down, sir. There are good people here."

Haughton grabbed his wife and pushed her behind a wall, Brunner said.

Then the bullets flew.

Brunner considers Haughton's wife a hero for confronting her husband and making sure to move him away from most of the customers.

She says she wonders how Zina Haughton stayed so calm in the face of death.

If the court hearing is any indication, perhaps she knew it was just a matter of time.

This made me ill. What a tragedy.

At the bizarre Thursday hearing, Haughton acted as his own attorney -- cross-examining his wife, asking questions that the judge refused to allow.

Oy.

Haughton said his wife's infidelity was to blame for their failing marriage.

Yep. She's the reason it failed. Nothing to do with your insanely violent temper or anything like that.

Also, stories like this really make me think that restraining orders are kind of bullshit. If someone is this violent and harassing, they're not going to follow a court order and go, "Oh, okay, judge, I'll be sure to count how many feet away I am from her should I see her out and about" or whatever. If they've been that frightening in their stalking and harassing and whatnot, they should be in jail. Then maybe these shooting stories wouldn't happen.

Anywho, yeah, it's been about a month, I think, since we've had a story about a mass shooting, looks like we're continuing right on schedule with that :|. Tell me again when a good time to start talking and getting serious about gun control is?

Yoshi did it

yoshi-volcanic-cloud.jpg

With that in mind, those who died from the sinking of the Titanic did not get justice from the iceberg that struck it.

Really, you can't put nature on trial, which is what this case is about.

Do you really blame the iceberg, though, or the lack of lifeboats?

New York (CNN) - A Manhattan mother returned home early Thursday evening to find two of her young children stabbed to death in a bathtub, as their nanny lay bleeding nearby, police said.

The mother, 38, had just returned around 5:30 p.m. to the family apartment on Manhattan's West Side with her 3-year-old daughter, who she had just taken to swimming lessons, police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

All the lights were out in the residence, so she went downstairs to ask the doorman whether her two other children and their nanny had gone outside. After the doorman said they had not, the mother went back upstairs and started looking around, Kelly said.

Peering into a bathroom, she let out a scream upon finding her 1-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter stabbed to death in the bathtub, according to Kelly.

The children's 50-year-old nanny was on the bathroom floor unconscious and bleeding from what appeared to be self-inflicted stab wounds to her neck, Kelly said. A kitchen knife sat next to her, according to police spokesman Paul Browne.

A neighbor, Sandy Marcus, told CNN that she called 911 after hearing the mother's screams. Another neighbor recalled it was hard to ascertain what was going on since "everybody was screaming."

The children were taken to Roosevelt Hospital and pronounced dead.

The father of the children is Kevin Krim, an executive with CNBC , several officials familiar with the investigation said.

The nanny is at St. Luke's Hospital, also in New York, in critical but stable condition, according to Kelly. No charges have been filed yet in the case, he added.

Klein described the family at the center of the horror as "all-American" and "lovely."

"It's like something you read about in the papers, in some distant country, but never on your floor," she said.

The police officer recorded details like the woman’s date of birth, height, weight and bra size. He made note of certain materials, like chloroform and rope.

And then the officer, Gilberto Valle, a six-year veteran of the New York Police Department, created a document on his computer, calling it a blueprint for “Abducting and Cooking.”

Cree. PY.

In February, Officer Valle offered to kidnap a woman on an unnamed person’s behalf for a price: “$5,000 and she is all yours,” the officer wrote to that person, according to the complaint.

Officer Valle appeared to be under the impression that the person he was communicating with intended to rape the woman, according to the complaint.

“She will be alive,” he wrote. “I think I would rather not get involved in the rape. You paid for her. She is all yours, and I don’t want to be tempted the next time I abduct a girl.”

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Wow. WOW. "Fucked up" doesn't even begin to describe this story. Thank goodness they caught him before he carried any of this psycho stuff out.

EDIT: Also, I know that defense lawyers have to try and find some reason to explain away their client's actions, but..."sexual fantasies"? Really? That's the best you can come up with?

The scary thing is, he had access to a database that listed where some women lived and used that information to stalk them. So he had his list of victims ready, and it sounds like it was only a matter of time before he acted.

One local news program showed the emails he sent with a co-conspirator, and they showed too much of them. I was getting freaked out and I think the anchor was too live on air.

The nanny story is just awful. Those kids were absolutely beautiful. :(

It really makes you wonder who to trust your babies with. Supposedly the nanny was one of the family and they even vacationed with her in the Dominican Republic. How more heartbreaking to know your own kids were killed by someone you trusted. :(

I was scared to come in this thread for fear of seeing the nanny story again. I've been trying to block it from my memory.

And while September 11 is a recent memory that many still live with, the attacks are a distant reference to schoolchildren today. As the event and its subsequent war have become "recent history," The Atlantic's Conor Friedersdorf took to examine how high schoolers are learning about 9/11 and the years following.
His general findings: the threat of terrorism can be eliminated, the Patriot Act was not controversial and Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.
Friedersdorf's analysis is decidedly unscientific, looking only at one history textbook: a 2003 edition of The American Vision by Professors Joyce Appleby, Alan Brinkley, Albert Broussard, James McPhereson, and Donald Ritchie. Still, the book is one of the most used American history textbooks in schools for 11th graders.
He criticizes the book's flat portrayal of 9/11, perhaps misleading students to believe that the day's attacks killed more people than the invasion of Normandy.

High Schools Teaching The War On Terror: The Atlantic Looks At A History Textbook

:tsk:

Is it sad that I'm not all that surprised by that news?

In Louisiana, for example, one commonly used textbook teaches students "the accumulated wisdom of the past from a biblical worldview."

*Smacks forehead*

The bit about kids not knowing a lot about Lincoln was pretty crazy, too. The cherry-picking of what people deem "worthy" or "factual" information to teach our schoolchildren that's been going on in recent times is truly disturbing.

This may not be about murder or the like, but it still disgusts me and I'm sure anyone who thinks Thanksgiving is a day to spend time with family - not shop!

Ideally, Casey St. Clair would be spending Thanksgiving relaxing and eating dinner with her boyfriend and his family. Instead, the part-time Target employee and substitute teacher will worknextThursday night during the early kickoff of the big-box retailer's Black Friday sale. Stores will open at 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving this year, reflecting a wider shift in the retail industry toward getting a head start on the biggest shopping day of the year.
Wal-Mart workers plan Black Friday walkout
As it stands now, Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, Sears and KMart will be the first large retail chains to open their doors for bargain hunters at 8 p.m. Many other chains are open Thanksgiving Day, but their Black Friday sales don't start until midnight or Friday morning.
St. Clair, who lives in Corona, California, is scheduled to work Wednesday from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. She'll return Thanksgiving Day before 9 p.m. and work until 5:15 on Friday morning. She has to sleep at some point, so traveling 45 minutes each way for Thanksgiving dinner is out.
"It shouldn't have to be a rushed affair, slipping in to eat some turkey and taking a piece of pie for the road," said St. Clair, who plans to have dinner at home with her boyfriend before going to work.

Retail employees fight "Black Friday creep" - CNN.com

Really, this is horrible. And it has nothing to do with corporate greed, its the fault of rampant materialism in this country. Is it really more important to get that flat screen TV half-off than enjoy some family time? And let's not forget the wacky shoppers who trample each other and workers to death in order to get those items.

Despite what this article says, I truly believe that in a few years time, stores will be open on Christmas Day. This is really a shame because I remember when I worked in retail, Thanksgiving was the calm before the storm and Christmas was the calm after the storm. Will retail workers ever get a break?

Despite what this article says, I truly believe that in a few years time, stores will be open on Christmas Day.

I think there already have been some places open on that day, unfortunately. But yeah, I do fear it'll become even more common as time goes on.

Will retail workers ever get a break?

I don't know. I agree with you that opening stores as early as they have been and having it spill into the holidays themselves is absolutely ridiculous. My mom worked in retail and she remembered customers on certain holidays coming in and saying, "I think it's just awful they make you work on days like this." My mom always wanted to say, "Well, you know, if people like you didn't come in here today I wouldn't HAVE to be here!"

And it's not just the insane hours that are a problem, it's also how obnoxious and rude some of the customers can be. People freaking out at the idea of having to have a receipt to return something, or people getting mad because you're out of something (yeah, gee, imagine that, we sell out of hot, popular products quickly! Shocker!), getting mad at you for following store policy as required, as though you were the one who created it just to make customers' lives difficult, in some stores they seem to not understand how coupons work or misread coupons (or sometimes claim something is on sale when it's really not) or whatever, the insane fights and other violent activity that breaks out among people at stores over a product...

The more we build up the "importance" of the holiday rush and make it a big deal, the more this craziness will continue, and it's not healthy or safe or rational for anyone. It really needs to stop-I sometimes wonder if all retail workers shouldn't band together one year and sign an agreement to refuse to work on the holidays or something. There's got to be something that can be done about this.

Anywho, luckily, I do have Thanksgiving off, but I am working the day after. Though our store isn't opening as ungodly early as some places are (7, I think, is when we'll open). Here's hoping it all goes smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom