Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #241
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:34 AM
It'd be pretty unpleasant to eat a zero-carbohydrate diet--you'd literally only be eating meats and pure fats; no vegetables, dairy, nuts, fruits, starches etc. Besides, safely simulating the formula they use would require knowing the precise types of proteins and fats involved, as well as their relative proportions in the formula.

I find it weird that the woman quoted had as much time as she did in which to lose 10 pounds, yet chose to spend $1500 on this extreme approach instead. Surely if you're that determined in the first place, you could lose 10 pounds given that amount of time through a far more ordinary diet and exercise regimen such as what deep was describing.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #242
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
If that was me I'd rather go buy an off the rack regular dress and get married in that than put myself through that, and make that the focus of starting off my marriage. A marriage isn't about a lavish one day production. Ask Kim K. On second thought...
Haha, agreed. I too have never brought into the whole big, flashy, expensive wedding stuff. It often seems couples who are overly obsessive about how the wedding looks are the ones who wind up having trouble down the line, 'cause they forget about the fact that a wedding is supposed to focus on the fact that you're marrying someone you love and want to be with for the rest of your life.

As for these diets and such-if people are losing weight because their health is in danger if they don't change their habits, that's fine, I totally get that and support such efforts. Nothing wrong with showing proper concern about your health.

But to go on a diet simply to fit into some ideal of "hot" and "sexy" that people say you should aspire to? That I don't agree with. What these girls are doing just seems extreme and really dangerous, and could come back to haunt them later.

Plus, okay, so their goal is to be at a certain weight on their wedding date so they can fit into their dresses, and then...what? After the wedding, what happens next? It's likely that their weight will go back up again because they've already achieved their goal, so there's no more incentive left to keep them focused on staying healthy. And then they'll wonder what happened. And the cycle will continue.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 AM
I think the whole bride/wedding angle is just spin based on the woman they followed for that particular story.

To me this sounds extreme/weird/uncomfortable but in general I don't get our obsession with weight and I don't just mean people trying to lose weight but everyone feeling they have to comment on everyone else losing weight, if that makes sense. Weight is just a number; if someone else wants to lose 10 pounds what's it to you or I? So what if I like to be X-weight at X-BMI and my doctor is OK with that, it's really no one else's business and has nothing to do with fitting in a dress or being perceived as sexy or hot.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Wedding dresses are just another way to screw around with female body images. Most of the designer/expensive dresses run at least two sizes too small, and an average sized woman can actually be considered "plus" in a wedding dress. I'm sure it gets to some women that they can't fit into their usual size.

I don't care if anyone wants to lose weight but I think it's pathetic to resort to a feeding tube, or eating baby food (another one I've heard of) to fit into a smaller sized dress (which really isn't accurately sized) for your one "big day" in your life . Very unhealthy and messed up, just in my opinion
Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Wedding dresses are just another way to screw around with female body images.

It is what you make of it. I was the heaviest I've ever been when I got married and don't remember feeling fat or pressured to drop 20lbs for a dress, nor did I have a problem finding multiple dresses to choose from. I got a size 8 and that's what I was at that time, 8-10. I'm not a girly-girl and about as low/no maintenance as they come but we had fun looking at dresses and trying them on. That was the first dress I'd worn in years. To me wedding dresses were just...wedding dresses
Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
last year 10 humans were killed in the oceans by sharks looking for nourishment to survive

last year 72,000,000 sharks were killed by humans by having their top fins cut off to make shark-fin soup, an absolutely unnecessary, very expensive diet item
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #247
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

72 million?! Is that a typo? What's your source?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

I think it was James Cameron

Quote:
James Cameron, Sylvia Earle and John McCosker talk about the sights and creatures of the deep ocean.
I was listening to

sciencefriday.com - every day is science friday

at about 3:30 AM, and I thought that was what I believe I heard.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #249
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:34 AM
This WaPo article from 2007 says up to 73 million: Decline of Big Sharks Lets Small Predators Decimate Shellfish
As does this 2010 CBS piece reporting on a then-new UN report on the topic: Shark Fin Soup Demand Feeding Extinctions

Which are in the same ballpark. It sounds like they derive that figure from data on the international trade in shark products (by tonnage/kilos) kept per the CITES treaty. Most of it goes to China, where shark's fin soup is considered a "status food."

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Damn! With numbers like that, one would think all sharks will be extinct in a few years.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Sharks are like German Shepherds, they always get the bad rap
Old 04-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #252
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I think the whole bride/wedding angle is just spin based on the woman they followed for that particular story.

To me this sounds extreme/weird/uncomfortable but in general I don't get our obsession with weight and I don't just mean people trying to lose weight but everyone feeling they have to comment on everyone else losing weight, if that makes sense. Weight is just a number; if someone else wants to lose 10 pounds what's it to you or I? So what if I like to be X-weight at X-BMI and my doctor is OK with that, it's really no one else's business and has nothing to do with fitting in a dress or being perceived as sexy or hot.
I've always naturally been small. I feel healthy and my joint pain diminishes when I'm at a certain weight. I feel unhealthy, slow, and almost disabled when I gain weight, which is where I'm at right now. However since I'm still considered "normal" sized (a size 6) whenever I mention that I'm trying to eat better and exercise people will always jump on me about how I can't lose weight, I was so skinny before and blah blah blah. I hate it so I just stopped mentioning it. They don't know that my cholesterol is borderline high and my heart works way too hard to support my body at this weight. How can they? They're too busy making assumptions.

Unless someone is very obviously suffering from an eating disorder and needs medical attention, it's not anyone's right to criticize whether a person wants to lose or gain weight.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

By Carol Marquis, NBC News

LONDON -- Up to 35,000 elephants were killed last year for their tusks, the head of a charity told NBC News.

Charlie Mayhew, the chief executive of Tusk Trust, said: "What we have witnessed over the last 18 months or two years has been a significant escalation in the poaching of both rhino for rhino horn and elephant for ivory, fueled by sort of a dramatic increase in demand from consumers in the Far East.

"Last year we believe that as many as 35,000 elephants may have been slaughtered for their ivory," he added. "South Africa lost 434 rhino last year. This year we know that they've lost more than 170 rhino. That's more than an average of one every 15 hours and that is just South Africa alone."

A rhino horn is worth as much as $40,000 on the black market.

Britain's Prince William and Princess Catherine have thrown their star power behind the organization.

Speaking at the London premiere of documentary "African Cats," which was held in aid of Tusk Trust, the Prince said: "We must act now, coherently and together if the situation is to be reversed and our legacy -- our global, natural legacy -- preserved. Tomorrow will be too late."
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #254
Acrobat

Quote:
By Carol Marquis, NBC News

LONDON -- Up to 35,000 elephants were killed last year for their tusks, the head of a charity told NBC News.

Charlie Mayhew, the chief executive of Tusk Trust, said: "What we have witnessed over the last 18 months or two years has been a significant escalation in the poaching of both rhino for rhino horn and elephant for ivory, fueled by sort of a dramatic increase in demand from consumers in the Far East.

"Last year we believe that as many as 35,000 elephants may have been slaughtered for their ivory," he added. "South Africa lost 434 rhino last year. This year we know that they've lost more than 170 rhino. That's more than an average of one every 15 hours and that is just South Africa alone."

A rhino horn is worth as much as $40,000 on the black market.

Britain's Prince William and Princess Catherine have thrown their star power behind the organization.

Speaking at the London premiere of documentary "African Cats," which was held in aid of Tusk Trust, the Prince said: "We must act now, coherently and together if the situation is to be reversed and our legacy -- our global, natural legacy -- preserved. Tomorrow will be too late."
This kind of greed makes me sad
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

That woman who is accused of taking her kid into a tanning booth. She definitely has tanorexia. I've never been more happy to be Casper the ghost white