Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Since Trayvon, a high school junior who wanted to be a pilot, was black and Zimmerman is white, Crump said race is "the 600 pound elephant in the room."
That's putting it mildly.

Just read about that story a little while ago. Race of the people involved aside, if the kid was just walking...that's not a crime. If this Zimmerman guy was that concerned about the kid, he should've just sat in his car, kept an eye out, and kept his phone near him so that if the kid DID start showing any sort of "unusual" behavior or started threatening him or whatever, he could then call the police and then maybe confront the kid if he absolutely needed to.

Otherwise, yeah, this sounds like a guy on something of a power trip leading to a very tragic ending. Quite sad.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

People love stories about someone winning the lottery and then giving the money away. They're less likely to feel fondly about Amanda Clayton, who won $1 million in the Michigan State Lottery but is still collecting food stamps.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told Local 4 news in Detroit.
Pointing out that; since she has the means to pay it would be wrong for her to expect others to purchase her food. = The obvious

Pointing out that; since she has the means to pay it would be wrong for her to expect others to purchase her contraception, especially if it was against their religious convictions. = War on Women

Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #198
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Pointing out that; since she has the means to pay it would be wrong for her to expect others to purchase her contraception, especially if it was against their religious convictions. = War on Women
Why this constant elementary school breakdown?

My religious beliefs didn't coincide with the Iraq war, why was I expected to pay for it?

We can go simpleton all day long.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Pointing out that; since she has the means to pay it would be wrong for her to expect others to purchase her food. = The obvious

Nope, that analogy doesn't fly here.

The story isn't about the appropriateness of taxpayer funded food assistance, it's about whether the woman was an appropriate recipient of that assistance. The PROBLEM is not the assistance but the person receiving it.

Further, you have never argued that contraceptives should be made available only to those who can't afford it.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

The Bridge card issue isn't just about lottery winners. It's been a hot topic here for a while and this is just the icing on the cake. Most of the media attention has been over the fact that there were some 30,000 college students abusing the Bridge card system because of a loophole in how they are awarded.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #201
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Pointing out that; since she has the means to pay it would be wrong for her to expect others to purchase her contraception, ONLY if it was against their religious convictions = ignorant savagery
fixed that for you.

Now it fits in the thread too
Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Nope, that analogy doesn't fly here.
The story isn't about the appropriateness of taxpayer funded food assistance, it's about whether the woman was an appropriate recipient of that assistance. The PROBLEM is not the assistance but the person receiving it.
I think that's correct. But I guess birth control will literally be like a six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon ( or Rush Limbaugh) now.

I'll have to check to see if Sandra Fluke is really secretly a millionaire college student expecting the govt to fund her slutty sex life. Someone should get on that case. I bet she gets food stamps too, Obama probably hooked her up with those after he called her.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

I'm actually wondering whether some people here understand the concept of insurance at all.

We ALL pay for medications for people who could probably oftentimes afford it.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
But they're not hos on our dime. And that would be just the women.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Further, you have never argued that contraceptives should be made available only to those who can't afford it.
1) There's a myriad of services and agencies that provide contraceptives to women at no or little cost. The mandate was never about increasing accessibility.

2) The mandate isn't means tested. So the wives and daughters of "fat cat" bankers and Scarlett Johansson (i.e., the 1%) get free birth control pills too. I'll have to ask the guy working overnight at Circle K what he thinks about his paying for birth control for the rich.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Please. You know better. Now you're just trolling.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I'm actually wondering whether some people here understand the concept of insurance at all.

Were we ever mandated to do so before? My health insurance covers contraception and I'm perfectly fine with that even though I no longer use it.

This is about respecting the First Amendment and about allowing free enterprise to pass on "free" services as a cost containment strategy rather than being mandated by a heavy-handed government to do so.

We now return control of this thread to the rest of you.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
1) There's a myriad of services and agencies that provide contraceptives to women at no or little cost. The mandate was never about increasing accessibility.

2) The mandate isn't means tested. So the wives and daughters of "fat cat" bankers and Scarlett Johansson (i.e., the 1%) get free birth control pills too. I'll have to ask the guy working overnight at Circle K what he thinks about his paying for birth control for the rich.
... But it's not about the fucking rich. Should I be pissed that cancer treatments are covered by insurance for Michael Douglas, since, hey, he can afford that?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
fixed that for you.

Now it fits in the thread too
So... prior to ObamaCare and this HHS mandate, say 2009, we were living in "ignorant savagery"?

That's an interesting take.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Allowing religion to dictate law is ignorant. This is not a Christian nation.