Feel ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rape probably is not ever funny

but if one is going to be upset or outraged, they should be consistent

girls2.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

Dunham uses rape for laughs, quite often

and some people are calling Girls, the best new series.

There's a difference between making a joke about rape and directing a rape "joke" at a particular person who is right there in the flesh. And it's hilarious to frame the "joke" so it almost sounds like a threat.

If he was going for turning a heckle into a joke, as would be expected, he missed the mark by light years.

If he was going for turning a heckle into a joke, as would be expected, he missed the mark by light years.

This. The only offensive thing about the whole situation is how unfunny Tosh was. Not because of the subject matter, but because it was probably the first 'joke' that would've popped into a 14 year old's head in the same situation. I'm not saying all jokes need to be super nuanced, but that was just unfunny. I don't really expect someone who's claim to fame is showing other people's funny internet videos to have any off the cuff rape zingers though

and some people are calling Girls, the best new series.

I don't watch a lot of shows so I have no idea what other "new series" there are but I don't really like Girls and no matter how many times I read about how realistic it is, I still don't find it so (and I lived and worked in Manhattan at a similar age (maybe 4 or so years older than they are on the show).

And yes, Tosh was painfully unfunny.

I'm disgusted that every time a comedian "offends" someone, rather than simply not listen/watch that comedian, we as a nation now have decided that we will hunt the comedian down like a witch and burn them at the stake.

Great comedy toes the line of good taste. It always has, it always will. That is Tosh's whole schtick. If shock humor offends you, why the fuck did you buy a ticket to see Daniel Tosh? Stay at home and what your Friends box set. Nothing will offend you there.

She went to see another comedian, she had no idea who Tosh was. And I'm the first person to defend a comedian's right to say fucked up shit (I'm a huge Louis CK fan) but Tosh isn't funny and from the sounds of it he was going out of his way to be a dick. I've laughed at many a rape joke before, but what he said crossed a line in my opinion.

I should clarify, I'm not talking about it being used explicitly about someone being violently raped by someone else which I think most people would struggle to find funny. But I've laughed at it in reference to a sporting team that has been smashed, for example. Or clips like these:

rape! - YouTube

Louis C K - Fun with a girl - YouTube

Family Guy - Prostate Exam - YouTube

George Carlin- Rape - YouTube

I think that last one, as well as being funny (to me) in particular explains it kinda well... "it all depends on how you construct the joke". It sounds like Tosh was just banging on about how rape is always hilarious, no matter the context, for minute or so, and then when the woman heckled, he said "wouldn't it be funny if this woman just got raped by like five guys right now?" Which, to me, is not funny.

But I've laughed at it in reference to a sporting team that has been smashed, for example.

That's the kind of shit that helps keep "allowing" rape to be a punchline. There is no need to compare ANYTHING to sexual assault. It lessens what it truly is.

And that's not a slam at you, cobbler (because I know I've laughed at stuff that would make me seem like a total hypocrite .... but I feel guilty afterwards!), but a general comment about how it's so prevalent for stupid shit that is decidedly not rape to be compared to rape - and it's always done in a joking manner.

She went to see another comedian, she had no idea who Tosh was.

Yeah. She went to see Dane Cook. I don't know how well known he is where you live, but he's popular among many here in the States, and from what I understand about his standup, he isn't exactly innocent, either. I don't know if he's ever made rape-y style jokes, but he's definitely got the frat boy juvenile type humor.

Besides that, even if you don't know the comedian you're going to see...most comedy often has offensive elements to it. Most comedians are going to talk about stuff that is uncomfortable at best, downright insulting or offensive to somebody at worst. It's a risk you take.

All that being said, however, what Tosh said was indeed really stupid. There are ways to deal with people who interrupt your set. That is not one of the ways. And I'm pretty liberal with most comedy, but I agree that there are certain subjects that, were I a comedian, I'd just prefer to stay the hell away from because they're sick and disturbing, not funny.

As for the other stories...to financeguy's UK one, very sad indeed, such a shame.

And to the one indra posted: Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That made me sick to my stomach. Bastard, indeed. Throw him in a dingy jail cell and never let him see the light of day ever again. Ugh.

To me that's more disturbing than the Tosh thing. Those people are far more dangerous.

Sarah Silverman has done rape jokes too. Women shouldn't do it either. If you're going to try to justify it as some sort of "taking ownership of it", well not that many people are going to see it that way. If you actually even have that kind of intention. I get it, comedy these days has to be shock jocky. But there should still be some innate human decency left in this world. I don't believe in censoring them at all, I can just choose not to watch them or give them any of my money. I'm not a prude about raunchy comedy, dirty words, whatever. But I will never think rape is funny or an appropriate method for a man to verbally attack a woman.

BoMac said:
I'm not singling you out here, but I just don't understand this. I'm all for edgy humour, but I don't think that rape is funny no matter what context.

What makes the offense taken by people who think rape jokes are inappropriate more important than the offense taken by people who think any other kind of joke is offensive? Should jokes about murder be out of bounds too? What about jokes about cancer? Aids? Lupus (god dammit, Otto)? Diabeetus? Being poor? Being fat? Anorexic? By all means, it's your right to be offended, but where does it say things that specifically offend you need to be stopped? (General 'you', not Bomac 'you'). And the whole silly game of "Oh, I'm so offended, I need to make him make a public apology to me" is juvenile

"Pick 'Em Out and Knock 'Em Out,"

Prosecutors said the teens spotted Mora about 5 a.m. last Tuesday in a West Rogers Park alley. Malik Jones, 16, announced, "I think I'm gonna knock out this (expletive)," then started the video recorder on his cellphone and handed it to Nicholas Ayala, 17, Assistant State's Attorney Terry Clancy said at a bond hearing. Ayala handed the phone to Anthony Malcolm, 18, prosecutors said.

As the three surrounded Mora, Jones asked him if he had any money in his pockets, Clancy said. When Mora did not respond, Jones punched him in the jaw, she said. Mora fell, hitting the back of his head on the concrete with a loud crack that could be heard on the video, according to Clancy.

Jones moments later rifled $60 from Mora's wallet, prosecutors said.

"All three left the area laughing about victimizing the old man," Clancy said.

About three hours passed before a passer-by found Mora unconscious but breathing. He died the next day of blunt trauma, according to the medical examiner.

The recording of Mora's beating was later put on Jones' Facebook page, according to Clancy. A witness who told police he was assaulted by Jones last month shared the video with others until it was eventually seen by a co-worker of the victim's son, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors: 62-year-old's death just a game for 3 teens - chicagotribune.com

Jive Turkey said:
What makes the offense taken by people who think rape jokes are inappropriate more important than the offense taken by people who think any other kind of joke is offensive? Should jokes about murder be out of bounds too? What about jokes about cancer? Aids? Lupus (god dammit, Otto)? Diabeetus? Being poor? Being fat? Anorexic? By all means, it's your right to be offended, but where does it say things that specifically offend you need to be stopped? (General 'you', not Bomac 'you'). And the whole silly game of "Oh, I'm so offended, I need to make him make a public apology to me" is juvenile

Thank you.

As the great Kyle Broflovski once said... "it's either all okay, or none of it is."

Comedy is an art form. Just like not every art form is for everyone, not every type of comedy is for everyone. But this whole outrage thing we have going as a nation these days is so childish it's sickening.

Acting is an art form. Christian Bale is getting ready to make, rough estimate, 30 trillion dollars this weekend alone.

Nobody tried to blacklist Bale because of the character he played in American Psycho. Nobody forced him to apologize for it. Some people enjoyed it, others did not. But he was allowed to continue his career because, well, it would be asinine to shut him down simply for doing what an actor does... act. No mob tactics were used... no threatening of companies, advertisers, promoters, etc.

Likewise, it's asinine to try and blacklist a shock comic for being shocking.

And here..we..go

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

During a radio interview on The Heritage Foundation's "Istook Live!" show, Gohmert was asked why he believes such senseless acts of violence take place. Gohmert responded by talking about the weakening of Christian values in the country.

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of a derelict takes place," Gohmert said.

"Some of us happen to believe that when our founders talked about guarding our virtue and freedom, that that was important," he said. "Whether it's John Adams saying our Constitution was made only for moral and religious people ... Ben Franklin, only a virtuous people are capable of freedom, as nations become corrupt and vicious they have more need of masters. We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country."

Ernest Istook, the host of the show and a former Oklahoma congressman, jumped in to clarify that nobody knows the motivation of the alleged Aurora gunman. Gohmert said that may be true, but suggested the shootings were still "a terrorist act" that could have been avoided if the country placed a higher value on God.

"People say ... where was God in all of this?" Gohmert said. "We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

Gohmert also said the tragedy could have been lessened if someone else in the movie theater had been carrying a gun and took down the lone shooter. Istook noted that Colorado laws allow people to carry concealed guns.

"It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?" he asked.

Stuff like that pushes me more and more towards the militant atheist brigade, something I've done my best to avoid.

Stuff like that pushes me more and more towards the militant atheist brigade, something I've done my best to avoid.

That's a person who is twisting religion and God, he doesn't represent all people of faith. I understand why you feel that way, but I don't want to be lumped in with people like him either. It's really not fair, I don't mean that against you.

It's disgusting and despicable for anyone to try to capitalize on this tragedy, and to seize on it for their own twisted purposes.

Just another radical exploiting a tragedy for their political gain and/or rhetoric. :rolleyes: One had nothing to do with the other at all.

Another mass shooting, another time that follows filled with assorted loons, politicians, tv talking heads et al who will have their usual rants and raves and cries for action. Then it will all go away until the next one, and there will continue to be next ones. Lather, rinse, repeat :|

And here..we..go

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

Maybe the 3-month-old baby should have been packing heat.

What a flat-out straight-up terrible person.

Back
Top Bottom