Father Storms Bus, Confronts Disabled Daughter's Bullies - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 07:52 AM
if you are angry enough, nothing will stop you saying or doing what you genuingly feel like saying or doing.

even if its wrong.

its your own expression.

even if there are regrets after.

its a matter of not thinking straight - going for it - then thinking straight.

what a sad story to read, I feel his pain in trying to protect. pent up anger. anyone is capable.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:52 PM
he'll get off..

Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post

He should also hire a PI and have the harrassment taped and sue the parents of the harassers and school district.

<>
Did this father also build a time machine?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Since the bus has a recorder, they may have the footage of the harassment. If you replaced "taped" with "tapes" it works just fine....not sure that's what he meant, but...just doing my part to be bipartisan and shit.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

One thing that my parents always emphasized when I was a kid was to never ever make fun of disabled kids or adults. If I had ever been caught doing anything of the sort I can only imagine what would have happened to me. I think parents need to start talking to their kids about that from a very early age. "Different" takes so many forms-if kids are going to bully everyone they consider different then there's no hope for stopping bullying. It is a learned behavior. Also many kids who would never bully when they're on their own will bully in a group.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Mrs Springsteen

you mean, in your last sentance, a bully in a group - its all about status/power?

do you think a bully cannot go solo because of no 'back up'?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1 View Post

you mean, in your last sentance, a bully in a group - its all about status/power?

do you think a bully cannot go solo because of no 'back up'?
Yes like that

Maybe some kids also go along with it out of fear of being bullied themselves.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

I reckon there are kids in such a gang, who yes, are not happy about it, but go along, as you say.........to me those are the kids who do break away at some point.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
has a

Local Time: 12:52 AM
So, is anyone familiar with the anti-bullying legislation that is being discussed in Congress right now?

(I should be, I think Sen. Franken is one of the authors)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofsorrow View Post
what nonsense. kids learn what their parents teach them. if the parents don't teach respect, manners and decency then we end up with worthless little bastards like the ones that bullied this girl. it is not human nature to abuse another human being. that is a learned behavior.
Nice opening sentence, chief

I think you've forgotten what it was like to be a kid. Children have very little capacity for empathy. As Mrs Springsteen said especially in a group, making jokes about others comes very naturally. Sure, kids learn from their parents, but an even bigger influence for them when they're at school is the other children. There's a bit of a mob mentality. I would argue that it most certainly is human nature for children to recognize differences in other people and unfortunately, sometimes act on that in an inappropriate way. The fact that you're labelling a bunch of 10 year olds 'worthless bastards' because of the way they act shows you know very little about the way a child's brain works. These kids are still learning how to be human beings. Not only that, but they dont even have a fully developed brain to help them out. Cut them a little slack. I'm sure you did some assholish things when you were a kid too

And for the record, I'm not speaking for myself; I was very shy and soft spoken as a kid and by no means a bully; More likely the bullied, than the bully. But just like everyone else at that age, was very self centered and probably also did some assholish things. human nature
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I agree with Jive
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I think you've forgotten what it was like to be a kid.
yeah i've forgotten the years off endless torture, emotional and mental anguish i suffered at the hands off other children. nice call on that one the JT.

Quote:
Children have very little capacity for empathy. As Mrs Springsteen said especially in a group, making jokes about others comes very naturally. Sure, kids learn from their parents, but an even bigger influence for them when they're at school is the other children.
a parents is the biggest influence on the child, not their peers. i can come to your house and bring you living proof off this "theory", one of them being my own daughter.

Quote:
There's a bit of a mob mentality. I would argue that it most certainly is human nature for children to recognize differences in other people and unfortunately, sometimes act on that in an inappropriate way.
you are right about the "mob mentality" bit, but it is not human nature to act like a bully.

Quote:
The fact that you're labelling a bunch of 10 year olds 'worthless bastards' because of the way they act shows you know very little about the way a child's brain works.
your right again, just ask my own kid.

Quote:
I'm sure you did some assholish things when you were a kid too
no doubt about that, but i never once bullied or put down another for their disabilities. steal the VP's golf cart and put it on the roof? yeah i did that. spray paint sabbath rules all over the biology attrium? yeah that was me. set the 20+ turtles they had loose in the hallway? guess who? throw bologna at the football team during pep rallies?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #28
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
throw bologna at the football team during pep rallies?
That's something a bully would do.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
yeah i've forgotten the years off endless torture, emotional and mental anguish i suffered at the hands off other children. nice call on that one the JT.
Dont take this the wrong way, but I got that impression.

But that's not what I really meant. What I mean by forgetting what it's like to be a kid is in the way they view the world. How your mind worked at that time. They're selfish in the most pure sense of the word. It's not that they're consciously being jerks, they just lack the ability to put themselves in the shoes of others. So while it might not be natural to bully others (I'd probably argue that point too, but that might stray a bit from the topic at hand), it certainly is easy for them to join in and feed off each other without considering the affect it has

Quote:

a parents is the biggest influence on the child, not their peers. i can come to your house and bring you living proof off this "theory", one of them being my own daughter.

Only when they're very young. It's been shown that as they grow older, the influence of parents is significantly less than that of their peers. It's possible your daughter could be an exception to the rule (Much to your delight, no doubt)

Quote:

your right again, just ask my own kid.
Just because you have a kid doesnt make you an expert. I dont mean that in a 11 year old assholish way, either

Quote:

no doubt about that, but i never once bullied or put down another for their disabilities. steal the VP's golf cart and put it on the roof? yeah i did that. spray paint sabbath rules all over the biology attrium? yeah that was me. set the 20+ turtles they had loose in the hallway? guess who? throw bologna at the football team during pep rallies?
I can appreciate all of this behaviour Lord knows I've been involved in more than my share of mischief. But I can only assume you were much older than the 11 year olds in this story and probably had a much better sense of the consequences.
I'm not saying what they did was right. I'm just saying they're kids being the little jerks that kids can sometimes be. To immediately assume they all have bad parents is being very quick to make judgments.

I'll also add that I dont think the father of the little girl that got bullied should face any repercussions. He was just sticking up for his daughter and I'd like to think that's something that any of us would do (he might've gone a little far in threatening the bus driver, but meh, no harm no foul)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Did this father also build a time machine?
No, but he could subpoena the tapes on the bus.

thank u,
<>