Father Of Dead Marine Has To Pay Fred Phelps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Talk about a WTF court decision. Just outrageous.

BALTIMORE (AP) — The father of a Marine killed in Iraq and whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters was ordered to pay the protesters' appeal costs, his lawyers said Monday.

On Friday, Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered Snyder to pay $16,510 to Fred Phelps. Phelps is the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, which conducted protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

The two-page decision supplied by attorneys for Albert Snyder of York, Pa., offered no details on how the court came to its decision.

Attorneys also said Snyder is struggling to come up with fees associated with filing a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court.

The decision adds "insult to injury," said Sean Summers, one of Snyder's lawyers.

The high court agreed to consider whether the protesters' message is protected by the First Amendment or limited by the competing privacy and religious rights of the mourners.

I was going to post it but I figured it would just get deleted. If it does you just search his son's name and it will come up.

Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder

snydermatthewa.jpg

"He was a hero and he was the love of my life." - Albert Snyder, Matthew's father

Matthew Snyder, of Finksburg, Maryland, died from a non combat-related vehicle accident in Al Anbar province, Iraq. He was assigned to Combat Service Support Group-1, 1st Marine Logistics Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Twentynine Palms, California. Died on March 3, 2006. Matthew was 20 years old.

Matthew graduated from Westminster High School in 2003. After graduation, he enlisted in the Marines on October 14, 2003, and was stationed at Camp Lejeune, N.C. In August of 2004, Matthew was assigned to Combat Logistics Batallion-7, Twentynine Palms, Calif. as a generator mechanic.

I would donate if I wasn't flat broke. :(

I hate those people. Fred Phelps and his band of merry a'holes are going to hell. :angry:

How sad. This will be encouragement and even justification for more ugly, hateful, bullying behavior.

Apparently we're all off the hook. Bill O'Reilly says he's going to pay the fine. I can't seem to find a reliable source, but the Google had all kinds of stories.

Go Bill.

It's fucked up that I had to write that, but I wrote it.

Apparently we're all off the hook. Bill O'Reilly says he's going to pay the fine. I can't seem to find a reliable source, but the Google had all kinds of stories.

Go Bill.

It's fucked up that I had to write that, but I wrote it.

On the bright side, just about everyone from all political sides finds these assholes vile.

It might not be much, but it's a start on finding common ground.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Steve Fermier and Fox News Channel

Offers from "thousands" of emailers and callers have come in to cover the legal fees associated with the litigation against Westboro Baptist Church in a lawsuit by the father of a Maryland Marine killed in Iraq.

Bill O'Reilly of Fox News Channel made the offer to pay more than $16,000 on his program last night.

O'Reilly said he is behind Albert Snyder of York County 100 percent...and would pick up the tab for the appeals that has been ordered by a federal court.

This week on WBAL Snyder said he can't afford the fees which amount to over $16-thousand.

Those include the expenses billed to the church group.

He is hoping that the court will allow him to put the money in an escrow account until the appeal is heard and settled by the US Supreme Court which has agreed to hear the case.

Snyder sued the Westboro Baptist Church and its pastor after the group picketed his son's funeral.

Snyder said he calculates his legal and other fees will total well over $120-thousand even if he wins the case.

Attorney Sean Summers said the offers from "thousands" total enough to cover the fees connected with the upcoming US Supreme Court case.

That case is set to be heard in October.

You know, I don't like O'Reilly, but this is one of the most decent things he's done. I like him for that. :)

I saw this on Yahoo a few minutes ago. Cheers to O'Reilly for helping this guy out, but the fact that Phelps gets $16,000 at all is still disgusting.

While I'm not fiercely patriotic, I'm a former Army officer who's served in Iraq and Afghanistan. And I plan on protesting Phelps' funeral.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, why were Phelps and Co. Protesting his funeral in the first place?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, why were Phelps and Co. Protesting his funeral in the first place?

According to that "church": “Military funerals have become pagan orgies of idolatrous blasphemy, where they pray to the dunghill gods of Sodom and play taps to a fallen fool.”

Wow.

Because they're the biggest bunch of dickheads and will protest anywhere and anyone if they think it will give them an ounce of attention.

According to that "church": “Military funerals have become pagan orgies of idolatrous blasphemy, where they pray to the dunghill gods of Sodom and play taps to a fallen fool.”

Wow.

Oh.

Ok.

Right...

Jesus, I'm tired of people making me even slightly embarrassed to be associated with any church whatsoever. These people make me far more than slightly.

From ketnbc.com:

"Fred Phelps, preaches that American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan are punishment for the nation’s tolerance of homosexuality. (He was among those banned from Britain last year for fostering hatred or extremism.)"

This sounds like a cult, not a church. Seems like the media is scared to use that term.

If it makes you feel any better, I think Phelps and co are the only people who would dare consider themselves any sort of "church."

Ha. As I typed that, I thought "I hope no one comes and posts a link showing that they're an actual church and gets goverment money or something."

This church is just like an other church, only more so.

It is only a question of degree.

How so? If you say that because they condemn homosexuality, well there are quite a few churches that welcome homosexuals into their church and even marry them. The Episcopalians are one of them.

Back
Top Bottom