Father Of Dead Marine Has To Pay Fred Phelps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not really sure that the basis of this lawsuit is sound, but I'm happy that people are offering to step up and help this family pay the fees.

I would donate if I wasn't flat broke. :(

I hate those people. Fred Phelps and his band of merry a'holes are going to hell. :angry:

How can Fred Phelps and his cult call themselves Christians? I believe in Jesus. And would never hurt others the way these nut jobs have. Please don't think that all Christians are like this. We are not. I don't hate gay folks, soldiers, or anyone else for that matter. It is not what Jesus taught. These so called Christians need to read the New Testament. The message is simple..."Love one another as I have loved you."

I saw this on Yahoo a few minutes ago. Cheers to O'Reilly for helping this guy out, but the fact that Phelps gets $16,000 at all is still disgusting.

While I'm not fiercely patriotic, I'm a former Army officer who's served in Iraq and Afghanistan. And I plan on protesting Phelps' funeral.

I'm gonna throw a goddamned party at Fred Phelps' funeral. He had scheduled a protest at my school when I directed The Laramie Project and called me and all of my administration "fag enablers" but the chicken shit didn't show up! :lol:

BTW, his church is not "accepted" by most of the religious community - he's been defrocked or excommunicated or whatever, I'm pretty sure.

Really?

Phelps disrupts this poor family's funeral and gets paid for it? Really?

Wow. Days like this, I really really hate America. Protest if you want to, but dammit, have the respect for a grieving family to NOT do this while they are burying their child. Phelps should be paying these people, not the other way around.

BTW, his church is not "accepted" by most of the religious community - he's been defrocked or excommunicated or whatever, I'm pretty sure.

Christianity-based cults always baffle me. They come up with some crap that completely contradicts 2000 years of teachings and somehow sucker people into following their whacked out ideas.

I'm not really sure that the basis of this lawsuit is sound.

you are correct, you have a background in law and understand how these things work

if they had just ignored Phelps or had a counter protest directed at them, they would have had a much better result, the lawsuit was ill-advised from the get go.

The judge who ordered the father to pay Phelps should be hung on a meathook! Period!!!

Lighten up, Francis.

As anitram said, there are legal guidelines that judges can't ignore or change just because they or you vehemently dislike one or more of the parties involved.

I think the "church" is really just his family.

I think so too.....and maybe a few other misguided souls. This is what traditional Christians, Protestant and Catholic would call a cult. As someone stated above. Phelps' teachings goes against what other Christians believe. He has taken 2000 years of doctrine and twisted it into his way of thinking.

Traditional Protestants and Catholics believe that all can share in the Kingdom of Heaven. Not just Christians. This is where the idea of "Grace" comes in.

My question is, where was Obama intervening on this? He intervened on that guy getting accosted by the police in Boston or wherever, but why hasn't he stepped in for this?

My question is, where was Obama intervening on this? He intervened on that guy getting accosted by the police in Boston or wherever, but why hasn't he stepped in for this?

Intervening in what? A correct legal decision?

Intervening in what? A correct legal decision?

He stepped in with that Boston thing to say the police acted "stupidly", or whatever he said.

I think it's entirely unfair for this father to have to pay for Phelps' court costs. It was a funeral. Granted, they have a right to protest, but it's just wrong for the father to have to pay for the court costs.

Where was Obama to say the court acted "stupidly" in the ruling of their case?

My point is, if he's going to get involved with the legal system for one thing, you do it for everything, otherwise don't get involved.

Where was Obama to say the court acted "stupidly" in the ruling of their case?

Why would he do that when there are clearly set out rules for awarding costs and the judge followed them?

These cases are nothing alike; the police had discretion with respect to the laying of charges in the Boston case. There was nothing of the sort here.

Apples and oranges.

Intervening in the Boston incident was one of the stupidest things Obama has ever done,
along with getting hooked up with that crook when he bought his house.

I think he leaned from those two mistakes.

The judge who ordered the father to pay Phelps should be hung on a meathook! Period!!!
I think it's entirely unfair for this father to have to pay for Phelps' court costs. It was a funeral. Granted, they have a right to protest, but it's just wrong for the father to have to pay for the court costs.
There's no clause in the statute that says the legal process is suspended just because someone's the fucking scum of the earth.

The judge was in the right. His hands were tied by the laws he upholds.

There's no clause in the statute that says the legal process is suspended just because someone's the fucking scum of the earth.

The judge was in the right. His hands were tied by the laws he upholds.
"I will seek someone who understands that justice isn't about some abstract legal theory or footnote in a casebook; it is also about how our laws affect the daily realities of people's lives, whether they can make a living and care for their families, whether they feel safe in their homes and welcome in their own nation. I view that quality of empathy, of understanding and identifying with people's hopes and struggles, as an essential ingredient for arriving at just decisions and outcomes."
--Candidate Obama
Isn't Obama all about empathy over "abstract legal theory" from the bench?

I'm still in favor of the ole separation of powers thingy. I shudder to think what could have happened with the previous administration, so I'll continue to support no executive interference in the judiciary with this administration.

I saw on my local news last night that the Westboro church is planning a demonstration at the sight. Where the coal miners were killed due to a methane gas explosion in West Virginia.

Very nice folks in W.V. I have traveled/vacationed there, several times. But, they will not put up with the Phelps family BS and will send them packing, back to Texas.

Albert Snyder won't have to pay these lunatics one cent. The people of The Sate of Maryland will pick up the tab. We think it is horrible what he and his family has had to endure. We believe in freedom of religion, but freedom always walks hand in hand with respect.

I didn't want to put it in the thread about her death but I feel sick..I just read that they're planning to picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral.

Disgusting sickos.

Whatever. Jesus Christ himself could float down from heaven to give a speech, and they'd picket that, too.

GOD HATES MESSIAHS!

Back
Top Bottom