FACEBOOK ruined my life ! ! !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
well, not my life, I don't social network

but for sure somebody's life got ruined today by FACEBOOK, I constantly read about these things

also:
TWITTER wrecked my whole universe !!!

I have to go, when I get back I will post some of the sad stories I have heard about.

tumblr_lgqs8zgrlA1qak56k.jpg

"...Kelly claims he has many black friends."

:lol:

"...Kelly claims he has many black friends."

:lol:

One of my favorite cliches.

But I read a new one last week and it's had me laughing ever since. I wish I had screen saved it for it's been erased since then. There was some guy who was posting on a comments section of an article(these things are the cesspool of the internet yet there sometimes better than any soap opera), and he was just going on and on with these weird random homophobic attacks. He was talking about how if we "quarantined" all the gays in the 70's we wouldn't have an AIDs epedemic. I mean just some horrible awful stuff. But he kept insisting that he's not homophobic. And his final post, I shit you not:

I'm not a homophobe in fact I considered myself gay for awhile.

So maybe this is the new "I have black friends".

Facebook is a tricky thing. I think people forget to use common sense. It can be amusing though. I have had coworkers and friends posting things that have come back to bite them. Facebook and stupidity do not mix.

The essence of the problem is advertising.

As long as there are people using Facebook constantly, the more advertising flow will keep up, thereby making millions of dollars and Mark Zuckerberg richer.

Zuckerberg is not a prime example of how a successful entrepreneur should act like, moreover... to dress like.

Dfit00 said:
The essence of the problem is advertising.

As long as there are people using Facebook constantly, the more advertising flow will keep up, thereby making millions of dollars and Mark Zuckerberg richer.

Why is any of this a problem?

Oh hell no, I'd refuse. You expect them to look at it, fine I have nothing to hide. You expect, especially government jobs that they will do an extensive background check, fine, but actually asking for login info? Absolutely not.

Anyone who says they would refuse probably is not in a financial bind. I would probably do it, because if I didn't I could be unemployed.

I have been unemployed and in a bind, and I turned down jobs that weren't right for me. It's very difficult not knowing if there is something else around the corner. I didn't say it would be easy but a person has to draw their lines.

That article about password privacy and the student talked about employers demanding passwords. Makes me happy to be a relic and not be on Facebook.

That will probably become standard, unless the law can overturn it.

That would really piss me off. I'm more aware of what I say now, since I've got most of the office on Facebook, but there's a line.

I agree Cobbler. I have many coworkers and families that I work with on FB, so I watch what I say, and I have my friends divided into groups so that I can control who sees what (and who has to put up with my U2 ramblings. :shifty:)

I would never have a problem with my employer seeing my page, but to demand my password, which would give them access to private emails and such, goes too far, IMO.

If you read the article, the guy wanted to work for a lobbying firm. If he is bashing the firm or industry all over social networks, than why should they not have a right to know. No one has to to have a FB page. And nothing on FB is really provate. Post a racist joke, or some other such thing. And sure enough one of your friends, or friends of friends will copy it and pass it on.

deep said:
If you read the article, the guy wanted to work for a lobbying firm. If he is bashing the firm or industry all over social networks, than why should they not have a right to know. No one has to to have a FB page. And nothing on FB is really provate. Post a racist joke, or some other such thing. And sure enough one of your friends, or friends of friends will copy it and pass it on.

But your messages ARE private.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a Facebook? There is a place where you can post things for everyone (if your page is public), or at least your friends (if your page is private). And then there is a chat and message feature which only goes between you and a person you are chatting with. The latter is not the business of your employer, but would be accessible if they were to have your password.

Yes, fine for an employer to be interested in what you are blasting out publicly or semi-publicly, especially if it's a more sensitive business/industry/role, but asking for passwords and access to the private side of facebook is exactly the same as asking for your gmail password or something, ie, fuck off, absolutely no reason why that would be necessary and its certainly not acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom