FACEBOOK ruined my life ! ! !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can understand in some ways why businesses prefer their employees not respond to stuff like that-for the employees' own protection, avoiding potentially nasty confrontations, that sort of thing.

But at the same time, it seems stupid and pointless to create a Facebook or Twitter account for a business and then expect your employees to not participate, or be restrictive in how they participate. If you want to avoid that problem altogether, don't join the social networking world. But if you do join, then expect that sometimes things like this will happen.

And it doesn't sound like she was at all nasty in her responses, she sounds very calm and reasonable (a hell of a lot more reasonable than I or others likely would be, 'cause dear sweet god, those viewers' comments shared are mind-numbingly stupid), so I don't see the problem. If she was cussing them out or making threats on them and their families or something, that'd be one thing and I could definitely see the business getting bothered about that. But I do think she has the right to stick up for herself, especially when confronted with horrifically racist comments like that.

I dunno. Maybe a warning at best, or talking with her about the policy and seeing if there's any allowable exceptions she can use or something. I wouldn't have fired her over this.

Hey everybody, water is wet and fire is hot!

"You were right, Deep! Tell your sister you were right!"

-Anakin Skywalker
Return of the Facebook

This story kind of reminds me of the book publishing world where it is imperative for authors to not respond to bad reviews of their books. However, there are some who do anyway with bad consequences.

It just looks unprofessional to respond to negativity, even it is an ignorant, racist comment. Obviously with social media, companies and individuals with businesses need to adjust to the unpleasantness that comes with the territory. Its a new world for everyone.

The sad thing is, it isn't unprofessional to address criticism, especially criticism that may be reputation damaging. It shouldn't be considered as such. It's how you go about it that's important.

Back
Top Bottom