FACEBOOK ruined my life ! ! !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably shouldn't bag out the biggest daily metropolitan paper in the State on Twitter given I'm a journo. But it's hard not to when they tweet promoting a story about Kesha tweeting a photo of herself urinating. I feel like they need to be called out.

I cannot decide which is worse:

1. People saying stupid self-destroying things on facebook

or

2. The evolving prurient 'gotcha' culture that would apparently have us all be white as the blown snow, above all reproach in every particular.

Anyhow, Facebook hasn't ruined my life but that's only because I posted under a false identity. well, and because I don't really even post because it's a complete, boring, waste of time.

Jessica-Leandra-thumb-400xauto-35175.jpg

“Highlight of my weekend? Almost punching an #Engen petrol assistant.
No tolerance for rude African monkeys whatsoever,” the tweet read.

tshidi2.jpg

“I wish All White People were killed when you sang ‘Kill the Boer’ we wouldn’t be experiencing Jessica Leandra’s racism now.”
(Mokaba popularized the song, “Shoot the Boer,” a reference to white farmers.)

South Africa atwitter over racism-twinged tweets by a pair of models - latimes.com

‘Racism on social media a concern’ - Politics | IOL News | IOL.co.za

Social media makes it delightfully easy to spot the idiots, misogynists and racists. While it is depressing, it is also helpful to identify people to avoid, ignore and/or shame.

Social media makes it delightfully easy to spot the idiots, misogynists and racists. While it is depressing, it is also helpful to identify people to avoid, ignore and/or shame.

I love social media because I love the interaction it brings. I moved nearly 3,000 miles away from my home town where I had pretty much built my world. Now my only way of communicating with those people is through social media. A facebook status can spark a conversation about something interesting, just like Twitter can, without the awkward "so uh, hello, how have you been, uh, what's up" "Not much I'm good, you" conversation starters.

I've often heard that social media is for the self involved, but some of the most self involved people I've ever met were vehemently against using any type of social media. My boss was just saying the other day that more and more employers are starting to take social media inactivity as a sign that someone is anti-social and/or hiding things.

My boss was just saying the other day that more and more employers are starting to take social media inactivity as a sign that someone is anti-social and/or hiding things.

And that's a good thing? See my allusion above to growing conformism.

Good thing I am my boss.

And in the broader sense, I'd worry about anyone who doesn't have something to hide. What kind of person has the metaphorical drapes open 24/7?

I've often heard that social media is for the self involved, but some of the most self involved people I've ever met were vehemently against using any type of social media. My boss was just saying the other day that more and more employers are starting to take social media inactivity as a sign that someone is anti-social and/or hiding things.

What company, business is this where you and your boss work ?

And in the broader sense, I'd worry about anyone who doesn't have something to hide. What kind of person has the metaphorical drapes open 24/7?

There's having a private life and then there's being so private that you don't even want to have people being able to know you exist. I guess in the mind of an employer, that's weird. I do agree with the notion that there is a such thing as hiding too much, and there is a such thing as sharing too much. But where those lines can be drawn in regards to social media, I have no idea. My facebook is invisible except to a very specific group/region of people, and I view that as private enough. If an employer demanded they see my facebook though, they can forget it. I'd rather work for someone else that respects my desire to keep private things private.

I don't think she said it was a good thing. Just a thing.
:up:

What company, business is this where you and your boss work ?

It's very small and I am very sure you have never heard of it. My boss is the owner of the business.

I love social media because I love the interaction it brings.

I'm not sure if you're just taking my comment as a jumping off point to say why you love it, or if you read my comment as "I hate social media."

I don't. I mean, I find Twitter annoying, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of Facebook.

People have always been idiots; social media just allows them to be more public about it. Social media makes it easier to spot the idiots. ;)

Researchers at Harvard have gotten to the bottom of why so many of us are compelled to share our every thought, movement, like and want through mediums like Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram and Pinterest.

In a series of experiments, the researchers found that the act of disclosing information about oneself activates the same sensation of pleasure in the brain that we get from eating food, getting money or having sex.

Social media = masturbation. I have known this from the beginning. I stated it.

Now, science confirms it.

Study helps explain why we over-share on Facebook, Twitter - latimes.com

Social media = masturbation. I have known this from the beginning. I stated it.

Now, science confirms it.

Study helps explain why we over-share on Facebook, Twitter - latimes.com

Well that's over simplying it a bit. The experiment wasn't really related to social media, it was related to people talking about themselves a lot, and enjoying interaction with other people (something psychologists already knew). I believe people want to discuss aspects of their lives in order to relate to other people, and that social media is just one way of doing this.

For part of the study they hooked up test subjects to an MRI machine and watched the participants' brain activity as they answered questions about their own opinions and questions about other people's opinions.

The researchers found that the brain regions associated with reward -- the nucleus accumbens (NAcc) and the ventral tegmental area (VTA) -- were strongly engaged when people were talking about themselves, and less engaged when they were talking about someone else.

They also found that the test subjects would turn down money (just a few cents) to talk about someone else, in order to enjoy the more pleasurable sensation of talking about themselves.

The above shows that gossip is less interesting than talking about your own self.

For the second part of the study, the researchers wanted to find out how important having an audience is to listen to one's self-disclosure.

"We didn't know if self-disclosure was rewarding because you get to think about yourself and thinking about yourself is rewarding, or if it is important to have an audience," Tamir said.

As anyone with 700 Facebook friends might have guessed, the researchers found greater reward activity in the brains of people when they got to share their thoughts with a friend or family member, and less of a reward sensation when they were told their thoughts would be kept private.

And here is where it shows that talking to people in general is rewarding, not just social media.

I'm not sure if you're just taking my comment as a jumping off point to say why you love it, or if you read my comment as "I hate social media."

I don't. I mean, I find Twitter annoying, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of Facebook.

People have always been idiots; social media just allows them to be more public about it. Social media makes it easier to spot the idiots. ;)

No I was more or less expanding on what you said, haha. It's a great way to spot idiots, good entertainment, and a great way to interact with people.

So that guy Severin, played by Andrew Garfield in Social Network, renounced his US citizenship in order to pay less in taxes on his big Facebook IPO windfall.

this is lovely

Fun New Facebook Feature: Pay $2 To Get Your Friends' Attention - Forbes

FB better go public soon, this $2 fee will lead investors to think it might actually make some money,

Here's how it works: you'll get an option of highlighting a status message beside the "like" and "comment" options by a status box. If you choose the option, a pop-up window appears, asking for a payment. Payments must be made with a credit card or PayPal -- no virtual Currency Credits accepted.

highlight.jpg

During the test period, prices will vary -- from free to $2 -- as Facebook feels up its members to find the best price point for the feature.

Posts that you highlight will appear higher in news feeds, stay visible longer, and appear to more friends and subscribers. Otherwise, they won't stand out from other messages in a friend's news feed so it won't be obvious that you're hooking for eyeballs.

The listen-to-me-I-paid-for-this feature stems from recent analyses that show that only 12 percent of a member's friends actually see their status updates. By the way, businesses don't do much better on the social network. Only 16 percent of their posts are seen by their followers.

Here's how it works: you'll get an option of highlighting a status message beside the "like" and "comment" options by a status box. If you choose the option, a pop-up window appears, asking for a payment. Payments must be made with a credit card or PayPal -- no virtual Currency Credits accepted.

highlight.jpg

During the test period, prices will vary -- from free to $2 -- as Facebook feels up its members to find the best price point for the feature.

Posts that you highlight will appear higher in news feeds, stay visible longer, and appear to more friends and subscribers. Otherwise, they won't stand out from other messages in a friend's news feed so it won't be obvious that you're hooking for eyeballs.

The listen-to-me-I-paid-for-this feature stems from recent analyses that show that only 12 percent of a member's friends actually see their status updates. By the way, businesses don't do much better on the social network. Only 16 percent of their posts are seen by their followers.

That's odd, because I never have a problem seeing posts on my facebook wall. I've tweaked my Facebook wall quite a bit though and I know if you don't have the settings right posts might not show up.

I am sure your posts are showing up at the top of your page, and I remember you said you preferred writing stuff about yourself and not other people.
So, I am sure you get satisfaction, when you see your own posts.

I am sure your posts are showing up at the top of your page, and I remember you said you preferred writing stuff about yourself and not other people.
So, I am sure you get satisfaction, when you see your own posts.

No, I meant the posts of the people I intend to follow. Local businesses, friends, etc. If I haven't seen someone in awhile I check their page just in case and my main wall is almost always up to date on what others are posting.

So that guy Severin, played by Andrew Garfield in Social Network, renounced his US citizenship in order to pay less in taxes on his big Facebook IPO windfall.
Pure business brilliance, use the US population to earn billions and retire to Singapore where you do not pay any capital gain taxes.

This FB stock is a loser for investors.

Zuckerberg's greed and vanity got the best of him. They should have priced this at the 30-32 dollar range.

40 minutes to close and it is at 38.31 up 31 cents.

SEC to probe Nasdaq following glitches in Facebook IPO - latimes.com

opened at 42, late???

shot up to 45, then kept going down, the last half hour was at 38.00- 38.02 range, it very easily could have been a broken IPO, closing below open price,
but Morgan Stanly jumped in and bought heavy, to have it close around 38.20

not saying this is a fraud, a ponzi scheme. but it certainly is not above board.

Facebook's stock price will definitely go up for a substantial long period of time since its IPO. Many investors have expressed the concern of the company's future and potential revenue in the long run, any kind of technological advantage over social networking can easily kill the company in the long run.

Sure, we are talking in the long term but financial endeavors within Facebook are not always necessarily categorized as long-term investments. $16 billion dollars raised so far is nothing compared to giants like Google, Microsoft or eBay.

Internet attention span, and general attention span, is very short lived these days. Facebook is overexposed and people will eventually tire of it and want the next best thing. The only people who will get richer from it are Zuckerberg (and now Mrs. Z), Facebook employees and founders, and Bono and friends/partners. No average investor ever will.

Back
Top Bottom