FACEBOOK ruined my life ! ! !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a Facebook? There is a place where you can post things for everyone (if your page is public), or at least your friends (if your page is private). And then there is a chat and message feature which only goes between you and a person you are chatting with. The latter is not the business of your employer, but would be accessible if they were to have your password.

risky though - do you remember not so long ago, maybe a year or so ago, there was a technical glitch which caused a whole load of chat conversations to actually go public so everyone could see! that caused a WHOLE LOAD of problems lol :D

and yeah totally unacceptable for anyone to demand your password, no chance!

if a company's going to demand my facebook password, i don't want to work for them. if they're going to violate this right of privacy, they're clearly not a good company to work for in the first place and i'd be afraid as to what other rights they'd trample on. this is the time when laws need to start getting put in place guaranteeing us some sort of privacy online, where employers and prospective employers can't just start demanding passwords or demanding we log in and let them snoop through our stuff. i've never badmouthed a company i've worked for on facebook at any point. not on a status, not even in a private message to someone else. but if an employer can't ascertain that i'm mature and trustworthy, too bad. trust works both ways and if they want me to trust them, they also need to trust me.

The notification-based society fueled by social networks is a terrible productivity suck.

It's interesting that our society has changed from not having enough information about things we care about to having much too much information about these things--and the need to limit our intake by force.

I check personal email once a day.

I don't respond to regular email for a day or two (or three) so that I prevent the expectation of instant reply for my personal contacts.

I get one email a day from a service that summarizes my social network notifications.

I have maybe two or three apps on my smartphone that send me notifications, and only for critical updates.

That's it.

Dfit00 said:
Zuckerberg is not a prime example of how a successful entrepreneur should act like, moreover... to dress like.

This sentence makes my brain hurt

If you read the article, the guy wanted to work for a lobbying firm. If he is bashing the firm or industry all over social networks, than why should they not have a right to know. No one has to to have a FB page. And nothing on FB is really provate. Post a racist joke, or some other such thing. And sure enough one of your friends, or friends of friends will copy it and pass it on.

If one posts a racist joke or some other such thing and another friend shares, they deserve the bullshit (if any) that they get. Deep, if you're gonna have a dialogue about Facebook, then I think you're gonna have to bite the bullet and register. Otherwise you just sound like an outsider who has no idea what they're talking about. Facebook definitely relies on common sense. If one exhibits it, they won't have a problem. If they don't, then things can definitely get interesting.

Deep, if you're gonna have a dialogue about Facebook, then I think you're gonna have to bite the bullet and register. Otherwise you just sound like an outsider who has no idea what they're talking about.

well, not my life, I don't social network

stating that I don't social network does not mean I am not registered.
I have been using it for some time. I review a few applications a year. Sometimes I go to Facebook (without asking for passwords) it is surprising how much you can learn about someone from FB. I will admit FB has influenced me, somewhat, on approving or turning down applicants.

I registered early on, to check it out.

41398_1362293003_8523_n.jpg

One account in my dog's name (tied to her yahoo email account) has about 20 friends, they are mostly family, nieces and nephews, siblings and a couple of long time friends. I find it a bit useful to keep updated with some of the family happenings. Though I get way too much junk or silly stuff. But then again what do you expect from 12, 13 year old girls? I never really post anything myself. If I want to talk to someone. I will email or call.

I have used this account to contact people I do not know to tell them I found their wallet, driver's license or got a piece of mail or package that belongs to them send to my address by mistake. FB is good for that.

The other account I have is my name, tied to my gmail account. That account has one friend, my dog, and about 40 friend requests that have been ignored. If they look at my account, they will see it is mostly not complete, has no postings and the only one friend that has a picture of a dog. They should get that I am not an active FBer.

with the 2 accounts, I have been able to see how FB works. What friending allows others to see, etc. Except, Zuckerman and FB can change that anytime they want, they have and will do that to suit themselves and their interests, not mine or yours.

And unlike an email the is tied to your internet provider, that you are paying for, you have no rights and or expectations of privacy.

As a gmail user, I realize that I am at the mercy of Google, I always write my emails, with the thought that others can see them, so I don't write anything that would embarrass or upset me too much if it was forwarded. If I want to have a confidential conversation I do that on the phone or in person.

Ok, so you're on Facebook. Good. You're in the club. :lol: I mostly use Facebook to play games like Jeopardy, Family Feud and Mob Wars. But, I also use it to wish people a happy birthday or something. I hide the posts of people who are drama queens. I've got no tolerance for that shit.

MSNBC (Technolog), Mar. 31
A shady iPhone app called Girls Around Me has just lost its best asset: The use of Foursquare's location-based services, crucial to the app being effective when it comes to literally finding girls by those on the hunt.

Foursquare said Friday it yanked access to Girls Around Me developer SMS Services o_O.o. because the app violates Foursquare's API (application program interface) policy. Specifically, Foursquare told Cult of Mac, which first wrote about the app Friday: "We have a policy against aggregating information across venues using our API, to prevent situations like this where someone would present an inappropriate overview of a series of locations."

"Inappropriate" is a diplomatic word for Girls Around Me, whose developers are based in Russia. As The Next Web wrote, it's "an incredibly creepy app that allows anyone to locate nearby girls based on public Foursquare checkins and Facebook data." The app worked by finding nearby "girls" whose Facebook profiles are publicly visible and who have checked into locations using Foursquare. Facebook, too, is now wary, telling the Cult of Mac late Friday that it's also investigating the app. We've asked Facebook for comment, and will update this post when we hear back.

Girls Around Me, which was released last December, was pretty much an under-the-radar app, one of hundreds of thousands in Apple's App Store, until Friday. In his piece for Cult of Mac, John Brownlee described showing the app to his friends and their horrified reactions:
"How does it know where these girls are? Do you know all these girls? Is it plucking data from your address book or something?" another friend asked.
“Not at all. These are all girls with publicly visible Facebook profiles who have checked into these locations recently using Foursquare. Girls Around Me then shows you a map where all the girls in your area trackable by Foursquare area. If there’s more than one girl at a location, you see the number of girls there in a red bubble. Click on that, and you can see pictures of all the girls who are at that location at any given time. The pictures you are seeing are their social network profile pictures.”​
"As sleazy as this app seemed," he wrote, the app isn't "actually doing anything wrong."
Sure, on the surface, it looks like a hook-up app like Grindr for potential stalkers and date rapists, but all that Girls Around Me is really doing is using public APIs from Google Maps, Facebook and Foursquare and mashing them all up together, so you could see who had checked-in at locations in your area, and learn more about them. Moreover, the girls (and men!) shown in Girls Around Me all had the power to opt out of this information being visible to strangers, but whether out of ignorance, apathy or laziness, they had all neglected to do so. This was all public information. Nothing Girls Around Me does violates any of Apple’s policies.​
Indeed, Girls Around Me remains available from the Apple's App Store. We've asked Apple for comment on how it was that the app got approved at all, and will update the story should we hear back. I did try to get the app to work, but that was post-Foursquare rejection, and the app would not download.

Girls Around Me shouldn't be used for pickups, Brownlee says, but rather for education: "I can think of no better way to get a person to realize that they should understand their Facebook privacy settings then pulling out this app," he wrote.

He wouldn't have been discharged if he didn't do it :shrug: it's not facebook's fault.

I am not saying these people do not bring these things on themselves

but, ten years ago, without Facebook in existence this guy would still be in the service, ( I could write Facebook plus stupidity, in a lot of these)

the case where those nutjobs killed someone for unfriending their daughter?

if that whole clan never joined or posted on Facebook, that mess would not have happened.

but, ten years ago, without Facebook in existence this guy would still be in the service, ( I could write Facebook plus stupidity, in a lot of these)

For all of them.

If this soldier had found another very public platform to say these things 10 years ago the same exact thing would happen.

What kind of public platform existed in 2002 that equalized the same level of popularity and reputation as Facebook?

What kind of public platform existed in 2002 that equalized the same level of popularity and reputation as Facebook?

that's my point, with FB, Twitter a random thought posted, not well thought out can ruin someone's life.

If that same person made an ignorant statement to a group of friends in person, he may just loss a few friends,
or the next day he can go back and say, "What I said was stupid, it sounds bigoted, that's not what I want to support, I want to take it back, I don't mean that."

yes, there are some pros and cons to FB, I don't really use it.
I do have 3 accounts. Sometimes I look at profiles, I see people with not much social life, or too many real friends with 1000 FB friends.

Also, many people I do know post remarks that cause me to 'think less' of them. And these are people I have known for years, that would never say things in public that they post on FB.

E-mails. Lots of people ruined themselves with e-mails, especially by inadvertently pressing the reply all button.

yes, there is some comparison there , but it is a complete different system, with different intended purposes

I am replying to an email I received last night in person today, when I walk my dog.

This person has forwarded emails that have been published online or in our local newspaper. I'll knock on their front door and try and catch them at home.

that's my point, with FB, Twitter a random thought posted, not well thought out can ruin someone's life.

If that same person made an ignorant statement to a group of friends in person, he may just loss a few friends,
or the next day he can go back and say, "What I said was stupid, it sounds bigoted, that's not what I want to support, I want to take it back, I don't mean that."

Any means of recordable history will act the same way. That's why one must always be careful of what they put in writing or say in front of a camera. Facebook may be more accessible, but that's the only difference. You could write something in a high school term paper and it might bite you in the ass decades later. You may be caught on camera during a news segment where they are interviewing locals about the hit and run they just witnessed. You may be stupid enough to put yourself on reality TV. You may be drunk at a college party where your friend is playing around with his phone video and he puts it on youtube.

Once it's documented it can always come back to haunt you. And on top of that if you're a government employee, politician, educator, minister, or any other profession where you are placed under a slightly to extremely bigger microscope you have to be even more careful.

Why do people think facebook is immune to this? I have no clue. Your term paper from high school may be destroyed, but if you place something on the internet just consider it eternal and for the world to see.

Any means of recordable history will act the same way. That's why one must always be careful of what they put in writing or say in front of a camera. Facebook may be more accessible, but that's the only difference. You could write something in a high school term paper and it might bite you in the ass decades later. You may be caught on camera during a news segment where they are interviewing locals about the hit and run they just witnessed. You may be stupid enough to put yourself on reality TV. You may be drunk at a college party where your friend is playing around with his phone video and he puts it on youtube.

Once it's documented it can always come back to haunt you. And on top of that if you're a government employee, politician, educator, minister, or any other profession where you are placed under a slightly to extremely bigger microscope you have to be even more careful.

Why do people think facebook is immune to this? I have no clue. Your term paper from high school may be destroyed, but if you place something on the internet just consider it eternal and for the world to see.

Nothing is immune to it. I've always been a very open book and it has gotten me into trouble more than once. I look back to forums I was on ten years ago and I can't believe some of the stuff I said. It would get me in trouble in modern times. Thankfully I've almost always been meticulous about keeping anonymity online and the dumb things I said are under alt accounts that nobody knows exist.

And of course, it's not just admittance to crimes, or unpopular opinions that can bite you in the butt later. It's other forum members. A friend of mine was so universally hated on a forum (for something he didn't even do!) that they dedicated a web page to what a horrible person he was. He never did any of the things they claimed, but if you search for his username, it shows up on page 1. He had to ditch the username entirely because he was getting into trouble when people tried to look his username up and found this huge, slanderous page about what a terrible person he was.

The only thing he did that they were able to get "proof" of was freak out and tell them off. The entire log of him doing that is on that web page. It wasn't exactly his best side, but the people reading don't realize this is after months of harassment. It doesn't matter of course, because he snapped online, and now there's a log of it. It's a scary thing to deal with.

And some people think that for things like that, you can just go to the police on libel charges. Not the case. The police usually can't be bothered to deal with "trivial" arguments on the internet, regardless of libel or harassment laws broken during these arguments. It's not exactly easy to police the internet.

And on top of that if you're a government employee, politician, educator, minister, or any other profession where you are placed under a slightly to extremely bigger microscope you have to be even more careful.

This is why I'm always amused by the "scandals" that so many of those sorts of people find themselves in and how "shocked" they are that this stuff got out. Some people intentionally create the scandal, yes, but others, I think, are just really ignorant and don't seem to get how the internet and techology in general works.

Thankfully, I don't believe I've truly embarrassed myself all that much online-I may have said a few dumb things here and there, gotten into a few silly debates, that sort of thing, but my internet experience is pretty tame. I like to go by the general rule of thumb: If you wouldn't say it/do it in front of *Insert guiding moral figure you hold in high regard here*, it's probably not a good idea to say it/do it online.

Back
Top Bottom