Eyeful of breast-feeding mom sparks outrage - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Eyeful of breast-feeding mom sparks outrage

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but feel free to move it if it is.

I just wondered what you all thought of this picture?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14065706/

Personally, I am disgusted that anyone would think of breastfeeding as something that should be hidden.

I breastfed my 3 babies for between 1 - 2 years each. I fed them whenever they needed to be fed, regardless of where I was. I would have been horrified if anyone told me that they were offended by the fact that I was feeding my baby the way nature intended!

I think this photo is soooo beautiful. There's nothing better than seeing your beautiful baby gazing up at you while they are feeding! Seeing that picture brings back wonderful memories for me from when my kids were that little!

How could anyone be offended by it?

Old 07-28-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Re: Eyeful of breast-feeding mom sparks outrage

Quote:
Originally posted by OceanGirl
I'm not sure if this is the right forum

I think this photo is soooo beautiful.

How could anyone be offended by it?

right fourm,

if dread will come back

this thread could do it

Old 07-28-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Anyone who finds this offensive has issues...

This is the most natural action known to man...
Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:02 AM
To paraphrase a dodgy song from the 80s...

That's what boobs are for.

I find the photograph to be tasteful, and I think it's sad that so many people feel that breasts in this context are dirty, inappropriate, or sexual. In my ideal world, people wouldn't be so scared of an exposed breast here or there. Bodies are beautiful, not something to hide or look at with disdain, disgust, or shame.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:02 AM
I'm amazed that people would find that photo offensive. Especially the target audience of that particular magazine!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:02 PM
my overall appearance is more offensive than that photograph
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Precisely given the target audience! Bloody hell!
I know there will be people even in this forum who are going to skirt around the issue of being discreet about breastfeeding and that it does not belong in public. So, due to their thinking it is their business, I am throwing my boobs out there for discussion. After all, if it is someone else's business, then let's discuss them and it! I'm still feeding my second. I almost weened, but then retracted and am back to my little bonding moments. I'm really hesitant to give it up largely due to not feeding my first substantially being such a contributor to the postnatal depression I had. Oh yes, fellas, breastfeeding is an incredibly emotional issue for new mothers. It makes your clinical opinion so much more worth it. Truly! Nothing says "I have a worthwhile opinion that I am entitled to express" than being a complete stranger - and a man to boot! In typical Interference.com style, let me divulge altogether too much information on my first experience. See, being a new first time mum, I had no idea what to do. The nurses in my area are almost violently gung-ho about breastfeeding. They're an odd breed of midwife. They put the fear of God into you. So I left the hospital with the fear of God and no idea how really to feed. I became engorged, found myself surrounded by people who didn't allow me to feel it was natural, I lacked the confidence to say "bugger you all - I decided to feed my baby the best food available and if you dont like it then there's the door". It killed me. Because of the lack of support and it was their not knowing (rather than being cold or indifferent intentionally), I missed out on that bonding and I fell apart. Now I've thankfully learned how to tell someone to fuck off if they dont like it. Breast milk is called white gold for a very good reason. Dont be a dick and not help support this very wonderful aspect of motherhood.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
The Fly

Just thought I would add this little pearler :

Quote:
One mother who didn't like the cover explains she was concerned about her 13-year-old son seeing it.

"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast — it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."

I can't even begin to understand how a MOTHER could see breasts as a sexual thing!!! And as for being concerned about her son seeing it, then maybe she should have explained to him what breasts are FOR!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 AM
I've missed out on the past breast-feeding discussions around here but when I became a new mom a couple of years ago I was shocked at how controversial an issue it (still) is...particularly among new moms!

Kudos to the magazine editors for putting a beautiful, tasteful photo on the cover to continue public debate (and get some attention for themselves of course lol).

Angela. I know exactly what it is like not to get the right kind of support the first time around, even from lactation consultants...which was another huge shock...how could that be?

It's funny how everyone will agree breast is best for the health of babies yet do little or nothing to support nursing mothers except to expect them to hide behind closed doors at home. Absolutely pathetic.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:02 AM
perhaps this thread will help dig up Dread ...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #11
The Fly

AliEnvy, I was actually really lucky with my lactation consultant. It was because of her that my breastfeeding was so successful, so am really thankful to her for that.

I agree that it is ridiculous that it is fact that breast is best, but when it comes to the crunch, people still want it to be hidden away.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
The Fly

Excuse my ignorance, but what is dread???
Old 07-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:02 PM
A man with a mamma fixation.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by OceanGirl
Excuse my ignorance, but what is dread???
Dreadsox, he's a regular. Loves his boobies His wife is one patient woman It's all in fun with him, though.

And thanks Ali
Old 07-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 AM
All men have mamma fixations lol...just in varying degrees.