Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

"No shoes, no shirt, no service."

If someone walks into Burger King without a shirt and/or shoes on they will not be served. That's standard.

I've always wanted to know if that sign meant that I could walk in without pants and still get served.

Wasn't there a similar flap a dozen years ago with Deborah Norville? Granted her mammary gland wasn't quite as "in your face" as on the cover of this magazine, but still...funny how far we (haven't) come.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 AM
In the new Vogue model Angela Lindvall is photographed breastfeeding her 14 month old son

I'll just post the link in case there's some sort of issue with posting the picture. I think it's beautiful

http://s2.supload.com/files/default/...gueus08062.jpg

On that same blog they mention that it's World Breastfeeding Week this week, and they also discuss the Babytalk cover issue

One comment I thought was telling..

"I remember when my firstborn was a baby, we had some friends over. We were sitting around, watchin (I kid you not) MTV (gimme a break, we were babies ourselves). My son started fussing to nurse, so I got up to leave the room. One of the guys, WHO WAS SITTING THERE, STARING AT BOOBS ON TV, said to me as I made my way out of the room, "Thank you, on the behalf of all of us, for leaving to DO THAT."

Some people will never understand."

Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:44 AM
your link does not work
Old 08-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Okay, I think I get what Nbc has been trying to say.

He's talking about the concept of "appropriateness" if I understand him correctly.

It's not about what's right or wrong, just what's appropriate at a particular time. One would never argue that eating is wrong, but it would be inappropriate for the best man to be munching on a sandwhich during the vows.

So the question is: Is there ever a time when breastfeeding is in "inappropriate." Some people might argue that breastfeeding in public is "inappropriate." There are those who may find it "icky" apart from any sexual connotations. Some people are just hypersensitive about anything body-oriented, I guess. And issues of "modesty" can come up outside of sex. I remember when Gen. Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the Enola Gay, returned to Saipan and Tinian for the first time since World War II. I was volunteering with the film crew following him around. We were taping a breakfast he was having with the governor and the instructions from the director were "Don't shoot him eating. This guy doesn't want the whole world watching him eat his eggs."

But again, this is all cultural conditioning and I think it would be good to change the "cultural conditioning" in this country when it comes to the issue of breastfeeding.

This still doesn't address the issue of the picture that started this thread. I think the picture is very modest and tasteful and I'm still amazed by the fuss over it.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #125
The Fly

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
"No shoes, no shirt, no service."

If someone walks into Burger King without a shirt and/or shoes on they will not be served. That's standard.

I can't ever remember seeing a breasting mother walking into a restaurant topless.
But does this honestly mean that women aren't allowed to feed their babies while they are there? As you said, it's not as though breastfeeding women go topless, so how could they enforce a rule like that?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #126
The Fly

Quote:
It's not about what's right or wrong, just what's appropriate at a particular time. One would never argue that eating is wrong, but it would be inappropriate for the best man to be munching on a sandwhich during the vows.

So the question is: Is there ever a time when breastfeeding is in "inappropriate."
Breastfeeding isn't something you can just "put off" until a more appropriate time. When a baby is hungry, it wants to be fed NOW - not when everyone around it feels comfortable with it. I'm sure the same people who would refuse to allow a mother to breastfeed her baby would be the same ones who would complain because the baby was crying too loudly because it was hungry!

Breastfeeding is never inappropriate. It is a necessity.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by OceanGirl

But does this honestly mean that women aren't allowed to feed their babies while they are there? As you said, it's not as though breastfeeding women go topless, so how could they enforce a rule like that?
I've never heard of it being applied to breastfeeding women.

Breastfeeding or not, I don't think wearing a shirt is too much to ask.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I would tend to agree with you. However, I was pointing out what I think was nbcrusader's point. It remains to be seen whether he will confirm whether I gothis perspective right.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

A good summation, but simplification of cultural norms down to appropriateness can result in the poor analysis that suggests breastfeeding is inappropriate. That is not what is being suggested.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:

Silly human beings
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No, it has nothing to do with breastfeeding. Just because a woman is breastfeeding doesn't mean we should encourage her walking in and out of shops and restaurants completely topless.

It's more so people don't walk into grocery stores barefoot and shirtless, grossing out other customers. Also, as dumb as it sounds, not wearing shoes is actually a liability. You know some barefoot dumbass would slip on an oil spill at a gas station and try to sue the company for damages.

The "no shirt, no shoes, no service" sign is usually posted at a low-key place like a gas station, convenience store, or fast food joint. At other places, it's pretty much a given that people will be clothed to some extent.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #132
The Fly

Quote:
I've never heard of it being applied to breastfeeding women.
I wouldn't have automatically assumed that it applied to breastfeeding women. I was just going by what nbcrusader said in his post -

Quote:
Yes, you can pull out a sexual aspect in modesty. What comes to mind is the "No shirt - No service" rules that prevent Bubba from eating at the diner. Nothing sexual there. Yet, an expectation of modesty as part of the public setting.

And, no, Bubba is not a victim here.
I just figured by the wording that it meant that this rule prevented mothers' from breastfeeding their babies at all. I obviously misinterpreted nbc's post!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:05 AM   #133
Refugee

An interesting article that's somewhat on-topic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...9&in_a_source=
Old 08-02-2006, 04:40 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
A good summation, but simplification of cultural norms down to appropriateness can result in the poor analysis that suggests breastfeeding is inappropriate. That is not what is being suggested.
But you were suggesting that there might be certain locations or times at which breastfeeding would be inappropriate, correct?

Or do you agree with the summation that breastfeeding is never inappropriate? And if you do agree with that summation, what would your concerns be about the cover that prompted this thread, or do you have any concerns about the cover?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:15 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

To the contrary, I believe the objections regarding breastfeeding deal with the manner in which it is conducted, not location or even the act itself.

As noted before, most public breastfeeding is done in a modest fashion - it is not even noticed.