Eyeful of breast-feeding mom sparks outrage - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #106
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I’m not sure we have a clear answer for why we are modest. Sex has been the predominate suggestion, but I think there is quite a bit more there. I’d ask the ladies, why would you go into a dressing room to try on a blouse if they were wearing a bra? No breast exposed. No overt sexual message. There seems to be more driving our own modesty, thus our desire (or expectation) for more modesty.

The examples of cheerleaders, VS ads and the like are really not the equivalent to the situation here.
the cheerleader example is as meritous as the change room one.

this thread gives me angina. or maybe it is the view by some that there is an element of overexposure in breastfeeding, or that the breast as a sexual icon cannot be seperated from a breast which has a baby attached. if anyone on here (which no one will freely admit to) has an issue with breastfeeding because they cant seperate it from a sexual setting then they need a shrink. a freudian one, if possible. if anyone thinks that breastfeeding creates a modesty or overexposure issue, then you need a damn opthalmologist.

is this where modern thinking has gotten us?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by OceanGirl

Is that an actual rule over there? Or is that an example you made up to make a point??

If you are serious, that is shocking! And yes, in a situation such as this, the baby WOULD be a victim.
"No shoes, no shirt, no service."

If someone walks into Burger King without a shirt and/or shoes on they will not be served. That's standard.

I can't ever remember seeing a breasting mother walking into a restaurant topless.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #108
War Child

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I think you've been missing the point yourself
and not by a little bit either

1. since you are aware where babies come from and
2. you're also aware that babies need food and
3. that mankind much like a lot of other animals provide this by having the mother breastfeed and
4. breastfeeding is the most healthy thing for the baby and
5. therefore a lot of people have been breastfed or are breastfeeding so

it's such a natural part of human life that I am baffled to learn that there is anything to feel uncomfortable about
And still you miss the point: I have no problem with that concept. The REALITY (look it up, it's an interesting word) is that I have, to date, never actually seen a woman breastfeed. It's a very wierd situation simply because I don't expect to see it. I'd get over it soon enough, though, if I saw it on a regular basis.

I know you want to be particularly dense, however, so I'm done trying to explain the idea to you.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #109
War Child

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

If you're not even a mother, how do you know they are denied the right to be sensual, sexy and earthy?
DOesn't matter - the comment that mothers are automatically not sexy has cropped up here. And how many countless scores of women feel unsexy because theiur husbands stop comiong after them like they're the last gold mine in the world the second they have a kid? Plenty of them. I've heard too many women complain about it to not know the sentiment exists.

Lackababies does not exclude my powers of observation.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #110
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:54 PM
So breastfeeding mothers need to stay home until child is done breastfeeding...this is what I'm gathering from some in here.

I'm honestly not surpised that some aren't suggesting burkas in here.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 PM

Saying that women should not be forced to breastfeed in private if they don't wish to, simply because some people can not separate sex and carnal thoughts from a faint glimpse of a breast, is not the same thing as saying that Moms are automatically not sexy. Moms are sexy, there's nothing sexier than the most important job on earth(along with fatherhood). And breastfeeding, or bottlefeeding, is a beautiful time in which to bond with a baby. It's the inability of the viewer of the faint glimpse of breast (or the picture referenced in the original article) to separate the two that is the issue. As the woman in the article claims- "a breast is a breast, it's a sexual thing". I think the implications of that and the article have already been explained in the thread.

Who said or even implied that mothers are automatically not sexy? That's not what people have been saying.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

there is a correlation to many fundamentalists beliefs
Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #113
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

if anyone thinks that breastfeeding creates a modesty or overexposure issue, then you need a damn opthalmologist.

is this where modern thinking has gotten us?
I still dont get why "modesty" has been brought to this topic in the first place .

I've seen a lot of mothers breastfeeding since I was little and that was the way I learned about the function of boobs, many of my (male) friends had the same experience, seeing their moms feeding their siblings or when they saw the new baby of some neighbor, so now they are able to respect the space of a breastfeeding mom, and they now that is quite different from a girl with a huge cleavage.

as I said before I still see women feeding their babies in public places. I've noticed that younger moms preffer to feed their babies in more private spaces , but they don't have any problem to feed their babies in front of their friends . The idea of someone telling them that moms should stay at home is just so absurb, and it turns breastfeeding into an unnatural thing . moms won't expose their boobs more than is necesary to feed their babies, and people should realize that the health of the babies and the special bond with their moms comes first.

About if moms are sexy or not.... I live in a culture where moms have an special place, and they deserve lots of respect (ask zidane ), obviously this idea comes with a "macho" attitude that has been left behind , so the word "sexy" wasn't the best adjetive to be used until a few time ago. I do believe that women look beautiful and sexy when they are pregnant and my friends say the same thing, because they are full of live.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #114
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Devlin

And still you miss the point: I have no problem with that concept. The REALITY (look it up, it's an interesting word) is that I have, to date, never actually seen a woman breastfeed. It's a very wierd situation simply because I don't expect to see it. I'd get over it soon enough, though, if I saw it on a regular basis.

I know you want to be particularly dense, however, so I'm done trying to explain the idea to you.
I hope my denseness doesn't offend you too much
your offensive style of posting doesn't do much for me though

I don't miss your point:
you have never seen anyone breastfeed

I am not sure what that is supposed to teach me though
I wouldn't reckon breastfeeding is an unnatural thing that should only be done in your own house just because you have never seen it happen

if it will take you a while to get used to seeing breastfeeding then I have to wonder what it will take for you to deal with seeing some stuff in this world that really is shocking and not something as natural as breastfeeding
Old 08-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

The REALITY (look it up, it's an interesting word) is that I have, to date, never actually seen a woman breastfeed.
"... a woman breastfeed. "

Neither have I.

I am told there are sites that sell dvds and videos for selected audiences.

I have however, observed many infants, breastfeeding, and it really is no big deal.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #116
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Neither have I.

I am told there are sites that sell dvds and videos for selected audiences.

I have however, observed many infants, breastfeeding, and it really is no big deal.
right now... are talking about the importance of breastfeeding in the news (caracol Network - Colombia) , and they are showing a mom feeding her baby . She's using one of those bra with removable cups.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #117
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:54 PM

Quote:

That doesn't mean I don't find it uncomfortable to glance over and find some random woman's breast partially exposed. In such a situation, I simply find something else to look at.
I agree.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy

right now... are talking about the importance of breastfeeding in the news (caracol Network - Colombia) , and they are showing a mom feeding her baby . She's using one of those bra with removable cups.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
So breastfeeding mothers need to stay home until child is done breastfeeding...this is what I'm gathering from some in here.

No, we were actually conducting a good discussion without such hyperbole.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Angelina Jolie wore a nursing bra on the People cover w/Shiloh and in the photos

http://www.parenting.com/parenting/babytalk/channel

"Do you have a favorite photo of you breastfeeding your baby? Mail it in, and we may print it in an upcoming issue. Send your photograph, along with your name and the name and age of your baby, to: Momspeak, Babytalk Magazine"