Quote:
Originally posted by deep
your link does not work
I see it

Interesting article I found on Google

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/997

By Nancy M. Solomon
WEnews commentator

"As nursing mothers celebrate World Breastfeeding Week, a women's rights attorney says more states need to pass laws specifically protecting this natural practice that benefits infants, mothers and thus the community.

In June 2001, a woman in San Mateo, Calif., was asked to stop breastfeeding at a public pool. She was told that her actions violated public health codes and constituted indecent exposure and nudity. Pool staff later informed her that they were afraid her breast milk "might infect the pool water."

What many people do not know is that breastfeeding in public is legal in every state. A mother does not need to "cover up" or go somewhere more private. More than half of states have laws specifically protecting this right, but even in those that do not, it is still legal to breastfeed in public.

Breastfeeding laws fall generally into two categories. Some states simply exclude breastfeeding in public from the state's criminal laws regarding indecent exposure or obscenity, so that a woman cannot be charged criminally for nursing in public. In these states, a woman who is harassed for breastfeeding in public can sue under other laws, such as those prohibiting sex discrimination in places of public accommodation.

Other states, such as New York and California, offer stronger protection in the form of civil statutes protecting a woman's right to breastfeed in public. Under these laws, mothers may sue for civil rights violations if they are prevented from breastfeeding in public. Federal law also protects nursing mothers, although it only ensures them the right to breastfeed in public if they are on federal property.

Recognizing that discrimination against nursing mothers is a national issue with implications for our country's health, the American Medical Association in May adopted a resolution urging states to pass legislation protecting a mother's right to breastfeed in public. But any legislation passed should not merely make nursing in public an exception to a state's obscenity or indecent exposure laws, but should guarantee breastfeeding as a civil right.

When someone asks a woman to cover-up during breastfeeding or move to someplace more private, it is often because this person is sexualizing the act of breastfeeding rather than viewing it as a natural, nurturing act. What people do not realize is that many infants cannot eat while covered up and a nursing mother should not be made to feel embarrassed for feeding her child.

Too many women have been made to feel this way, including one woman who was asked to stop breastfeeding in the children's section of a Borders Books and Music store in Glendale, Calif. In 1999, the California Women's Law Center sued Borders on behalf of this nursing mother. Borders settled and agreed to educate its employees about the right to breastfeed in public.

Even after the Borders case, many people continue to harass breastfeeding mothers. Unfortunately, in states with no laws about breastfeeding in public, individual courts will determine the extent of a nursing mother's right.

For example, in Derungs v. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., a district court in Ohio held that discrimination against breastfeeding women is not sex discrimination in violation of Ohio's public accommodation laws. Ohio currently has no law protecting a woman's right to breastfeed in public and, so while a woman still has the right to do so, it is not illegal for someone to harass her for doing so."

Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Pool staff later informed her that they were afraid her breast milk "might infect the pool water."
wow.......just, wow. Yes, something that's so nutritious and is the sole form of food for the first year of a baby's life MUST contain and infectious parasite. Maybe we should ban men from the pool. Penises might leak and infect the pool water!!!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, breast milk must be right up there with menstrual blood and all those other unclean issues surrrounding women

Guys can pee in the pool but watch out for that breast milk!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Infect the pool water with what?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know, female cooties?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

I honestly can't believe somebody even made that statement with a straight face. One has to assume that person is essentially too stupid to live.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #142
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:19 AM

I'm sorry that I missed this earlier when I replied...

Quote:
Originally posted by Devlin

And still you miss the point: I have no problem with that concept. The REALITY (look it up, it's an interesting word)

I know you want to be particularly dense, however, so I'm done trying to explain the idea to you.
Devlin, that is extremely rude, and we don't allow people here to conduct themselves in such a manner. Please try to be more respectful of others.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #143
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:

In June 2001, a woman in San Mateo, Calif., was asked to stop breastfeeding at a public pool. She was told that her actions violated public health codes and constituted indecent exposure and nudity. Pool staff later informed her that they were afraid her breast milk "might infect the pool water."
eh???.. those people act like they were born from a glass tube... that's the weirdest thing i've ever heard

Quote:
Too many women have been made to feel this way, including one woman who was asked to stop breastfeeding in the children's section of a Borders Books and Music store in Glendale, Calif. In 1999, the California Women's Law Center sued Borders on behalf of this nursing mother. Borders settled and agreed to educate its employees about the right to breastfeed in public.
It is funny, but kids seem to understand the nature of breastfeeding better than many adult people with dirty things in mind...
Old 08-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

You rang?????

Knock Knock.....
Old 08-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Re: Eyeful of breast-feeding mom sparks outrage

Obviously I can't read. Blah..

The photo is not offensive to me but I have my issues with the whole breastfeeding debate.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Nbc, did you have an issue with the magazine cover shown on the first page of this thread?
Old 08-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

This is just a general comment, not directed at anyone here..

But sometimes it gets so confusing and bizarre in society in general that I have to wonder if some men, if some women have more of an issue with that Babytalk cover and with public breastfeeding than they do with something like "Girls Gone Wild".
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

But sometimes it gets so confusing and bizarre in society in general that I have to wonder if some men, if some women have more of an issue with that Babytalk cover and with public breastfeeding than they do with something like "Girls Gone Wild".
I think maybe people disassociate? Like, the more conservative, modest mothers really have nothing in common with Girls Gone Wild women - these ladies might as well be another species - but the bare breast and baby hits too close to home? That's not how I feel, but maybe some do?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:19 PM
I can't believe some people are stupid enough to think that breast milk will infect water. They put that in a baby's stomach, for goodness' sakes!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Quote:
This is just a general comment, not directed at anyone here..

We miss a number of factors in these two examples - including market exposure and personal impetus for response. Plenty of people may be offended by one thing or another, but they are not all the "squeeky wheel".