Extremists open fire at Paris satirical newspaper, kill 12 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Most people are championing freedom of expression in a secular society. There are obviously clear legal limits to that but freedom of expression most certainly DOES NOT stop where your religiously based offence starts. That's preposterous.

I for one am tired of special allowances being afforded to religion that we would not afford to anyone else. If there is a cartoon of Muhammad making out with a guy or of Piss Christ painting, who the hell cares?
If you'd bothered to properly read what I wrote, you'd realize you're responding to things I neither said nor implied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I won't comment on the absurdity of your "they are morons or Muslim-haters" because that's really beneath any sort of rational discourse.
Fantastic, since I have no interest in engaging your straw man either.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Not entirely related to the topic at hand, but somewhat:

One Tweet Perfectly Sums Up the Big Problem With How We Talk About Terrorism - Mic

Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post

One Tweet Perfectly Sums Up the Big Problem With How We Talk About Terrorism - Mic

That's a ridiculous article.

You can't compare someone dropping a pipe bomb outside a building that did no damage and didn't hurt anybody to a professional massacre of 12 people in the middle of one of the worlds biggest cities. OF COURSE the stories were covered differently because they aren't the same at all.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

oh fuck another new siege under way in Paris, 5 hostages held in a kosher store by the gunman suspected as having killed the policewoman in yesterday's attack (which has now been confirmed as related to the Charlie Hebdo attack)

meanwhile French security/military services have surrounded the Charlie Hebdo gunmen, who have at least one hostage, on the premises of a business a few miles outside of Paris
Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #95
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Arab newspapers around the world react to Charlie Hebdo attack
Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

The best article I have read so far can be found here:

http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-we-need/?_r=2

Some excerpts:

Quote:
I disagree slightly with Jonathan Chait’s formulation today that “one cannot defend the right [to blaspheme] without defending the practice.” If I devoted my next blog post to a scabrous, profanity-laced satire of the Buddha, I would not expect Chait or anyone else to immediately leap to my defense if the Times decided to delete the post and dismiss me from its ranks of columnists. If I ran a reactionary website that devoted itself to recycling pre-modern calumnies against Jewish law and ritual, my rights as an American would not be traduced if people picketed my offices and other journalists told me I had a moral obligation to desist. And similarly, in a cultural and political vacuum, it would be okay to think that some of the images (anti-Islamic and otherwise) that Charlie Hebdo regularly published, especially those chosen entirely for their shock value, contributed little enough to public discussion that the world would not suffer from their absence.

But we are not in a vacuum. We are in a situation where my third point applies, because the kind of blasphemy that Charlie Hebdo engaged in had deadly consequences, as everyone knew it could … and that kind of blasphemy is precisely the kind that needs to be defended, because it’s the kind that clearly serves a free society’s greater good. If a large enough group of someones is willing to kill you for saying something, then it’s something that almost certainly needs to be said, because otherwise the violent have veto power over liberal civilization, and when that scenario obtains it isn’t really a liberal civilization any more. Again, liberalism doesn’t depend on everyone offending everyone else all the time, and it’s okay to prefer a society where offense for its own sake is limited rather than pervasive. But when offenses are policed by murder, that’s when we need more of them, not less, because the murderers cannot be allowed for a single moment to think that their strategy can succeed.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post

They're covered differently because one was an attempt and one was an actual attack.

But there's no doubt that anyone, white, brown or green, who used religion as an excuse for violence is committing a terrorist act.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

"But when offenses are policed by murder, that’s when we need more of them, not less, because the murderers cannot be allowed for a single moment to think that their strategy can succeed."

Here's my problem with this type of reasoning: it's awfully easy to be super principled when you're writing from the safety of a home office or whatever. It's quite a different thing for people who are put in the line of danger for the sake of incendiary rhetoric.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:33 PM
The two brothers are dead. As is the gal who was holding hostages.

I prefer we take these people alive, if only to learn from them. They can't speak when they're dead. Instead we'll fill in their words for them (on both sides)
Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Don't think these folks were going to allow themselves to be taken alive.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #102
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
The two brothers are dead. As is the gal who was holding hostages.
There are conflicting reports saying that a male hostage taker was killed, but that the woman (responsible for the shooting death of the female police officer yesterday) got away in the confusion as hostages escaped.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
There are conflicting reports saying that a male hostage taker was killed, but that the woman (responsible for the shooting death of the female police officer yesterday) got away in the confusion as hostages escaped.
according to French reports, the male hostage taker in the store today was suspected as being the gunman who shot the policewoman in Montrouge yesterday, and he has been killed by police (he had already said to police today "you know who i am" which seemed to confirm his involvement in yesterday's shooting... i haven't seen any more info on the woman yet though, but she was apparently his former(?) partner and accomplice... the police have issued an appeal for information on both suspects (although one is now dead)...
Old 01-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #104
Galeonbroad

I haven't heard much on the woman yet either, though the other situations were covered thoroughly on the news.

Honestly? I'm glad these guys are dead. I doubt we could learn from them as they would not be willing to teach, while in prison they could be teaching future extremists or plot escape and hurt even more people. This way at least we can be sure that these nutjobs won't cause more fatalities. Shame there are probably thousands of extremists with similar thoughts we can't protect ourselves from though.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Shame there are probably thousands of extremists with similar thoughts we can't protect ourselves from though.
Trying to learn the reasons why they did it and how they got to that point in their lives certainly could have been very helpful in preventing future attacks, couldn't it? Can't do that now that they're dead.