Extremists open fire at Paris satirical newspaper, kill 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i would say the reasons were ideology (not to be confused with a whole religion or race) and the resulting radicalisation of the most vulnerable, marginalised by racism itself, ghettoization, discrimination and unfair treatment in French society (ironically, all of which were issues that Charlie Hebdo criticised and called the authorities out on)

the Charlie Hebdo attack was a specific punitive action by an ideology and the supermarket attack was an antisemitic attack again by an ideology, the first apparently carried out by Al Quaida and the second ISIS, both profiteering from the plight of marginalised and stigmatised young people in France

interesting response from Luc Besson, open letter to young French Muslims...

Luc Besson writes open letter to young Muslims after Charlie Hebdo killings | World news | The Guardian

France is suddenly concerned about its Jews, just b/c there was a violent attack on them? How hypocritical. I can't help wondering what the response to the kosher shop attack would have been had it occurred in the white-hot political heat of last August. I'll bet a large swath of French society would have shrugged its shoulders and said: "Terrible and regrettable, but you reap what you sow. An eye for an eye. Score one for those poor Palestinian schoolkids today." Yes, a response like that would have been perfectly believable.

France is wondering why Jewish immigration to Israel is rising? WTF? Try looking in the mirror? Was NOBODY but Newsweek magazine (who did a cover story on this very subject) noting what was going on with Europe's Jews last August, when innocent ordinary Jews, all over the European continent, that had nothing whatsoever to do the Israeli-Palestinian conflict were getting the full brunt of abuse in many countries? Being treated as if *they* were the IDF? Such guilt by association doesn't happen to most foreign ethnic populations in most conflicts. I'll bet most people didn't bother to ask what side of the conflict those everyday Jews in the street were on, before they decided to hurl verbal abuse at them in the street, spray-paint the synagogues, damage their property, or (in the case of one sweet-looking little elderly Christian lady in a Scottish department store) refuse to give them customer service (before hurling time-honored anti-semetic slurs at them....the words were actually"you filthy murdering Jew" .) Banning them en masse from social events, theater shows, fund-raising charities etc. Making them feel like pariahs at the very least, and killing them or damaging their property at the most. Such extreme reactions are not born b/c you turned on the TV one day and saw awful things. It comes instead from something latent, something deep-rooted, something not easy to expel from the cultural memory.
And don't anyone try to deny these things happened or are still happening on such a grand scale, there is so much eyewitness testimony from Jews to whom these things have actually happened, in Jewish publications, far from global media outlets. I had a talk with a Jewish co-worker a couple months ago and there is a lot of fear. She said the climate for Jews over there is like the '30's right now. And this isn't your usual knee-jerk reaction to any blip of perceived persecution. It's a wave of fear on a whole 'nother scale, indeed the worst since the '30s.

If the Jews kill innocent Palestinians (in Europe's eyes, there no difference between an Israeli and a Europen Jew, apparently--all its domestic population might as well be IDF) then they deserve to be harassed. But when they're the victims of Muslim terrorists in Europe, they're all of a sudden objects of sympathy. It's a complicated situation, to say the least.

France is suddenly concerned about its Jews, just b/c there was a violent attack on them? How hypocritical. I can't help wondering what the response to the kosher shop attack would have been had it occurred in the white-hot political heat of last August. I'll bet a large swath of French society would have shrugged its shoulders and said: "Terrible and regrettable, but you reap what you sow. An eye for an eye. Score one for those poor Palestinian schoolkids today." Yes, a response like that would have been perfectly believable.

France is wondering why Jewish immigration to Israel is rising? WTF? Try looking in the mirror? Was NOBODY but Newsweek magazine (who did a cover story on this very subject) noting what was going on with Europe's Jews last August, when innocent ordinary Jews, all over the European continent, that had nothing whatsoever to do the Israeli-Palestinian conflict were getting the full brunt of abuse in many countries? Being treated as if *they* were the IDF? Such guilt by association doesn't happen to most foreign ethnic populations in most conflicts. I'll bet most people didn't bother to ask what side of the conflict those everyday Jews in the street were on, before they decided to hurl verbal abuse at them in the street, spray-paint the synagogues, damage their property, or (in the case of one sweet-looking little elderly Christian lady in a Scottish department store) refuse to give them customer service (before hurling time-honored anti-semetic slurs at them....the words were actually"you filthy murdering Jew" .) Banning them en masse from social events, theater shows, fund-raising charities etc. Making them feel like pariahs at the very least, and killing them or damaging their property at the most. Such extreme reactions are not born b/c you turned on the TV one day and saw awful things. It comes instead from something latent, something deep-rooted, something not easy to expel from the cultural memory.
And don't anyone try to deny these things happened or are still happening on such a grand scale, there is so much eyewitness testimony from Jews to whom these things have actually happened, in Jewish publications, far from global media outlets. I had a talk with a Jewish co-worker a couple months ago and there is a lot of fear. She said the climate for Jews over there is like the '30's right now. And this isn't your usual knee-jerk reaction to any blip of perceived persecution. It's a wave of fear on a whole 'nother scale, indeed the worst since the '30s.

If the Jews kill innocent Palestinians (in Europe's eyes, there no difference between an Israeli and a Europen Jew, apparently--all its domestic population might as well be IDF) then they deserve to be harassed. But when they're the victims of Muslim terrorists in Europe, they're all of a sudden objects of sympathy. It's a complicated situation, to say the least.

You say "France is suddenly concerned about its Jews..."

You really are totally and utterly clueless...

Your post is probably the most despicable and uninformed load of crap I have ever read in here! Congrats!

You say "France is suddenly concerned about its Jews..."

You really are totally and utterly clueless...

Your post is probably the most despicable and uninformed load of crap I have ever read in here! Congrats!

You know, there are more graceful ways of handling opinions you don't like.

You need to find a way of doing so without slinging insults.

You know, there are more graceful ways of handling opinions you don't like.

You need to find a way of doing so without slinging insults.

Sorry Diemen, but i have seen far worse in Interference

Besides, that wasn't an "opinion", more like misinformation stated as fact. I have no patience when insulting baseless facts like these are thrown around so will add the poster to my ignore list to keep the peace

There have been various attacks over the past years, and France has had attention for the every time. Heck, even the Dutch press covered these events. So to say that France is 'suddenly' concerned about the jews is pretty uninformed...

There have been various attacks over the past years, and France has had attention for the every time. Heck, even the Dutch press covered these events. So to say that France is 'suddenly' concerned about the jews is pretty uninformed...

Thanks GG!
antisemitism, even "just" verbal abuse, is enshrined in French law and is treated as a crime, so "hypocrisy" is not even close!!

an informed article on the situation facing the Jewish community in France, very long but well worth the read for the historical context:

The threat to France’s Jews | Natasha Lehrer | News | The Guardian

the current situation is very much a sectarian problem between the Muslim and Jewish communities here, whereas "old-school" antisemitism is (thankfully) declining, is associated with the far right stupids, and is punished very harshly by the government, so to tar a whole country with the antisemitic brush and call us hypocritical is quite odious.

President Hollande came under fire recently for attempting to ban Pro-Palestinian protests in Paris, due to fear of violent clashes on French soil, saying he did not wish to bring outside wars into France, as our different communities should live together peacefully, united by the primordial French value of "laicite" (secularism) (which i know is difficult for nations like the US and UK which embrace "multiculturalism" to understand), but it is these outside conflicts that are threatening to tear apart the Jewish and Muslim communities in France

Manuel Valls (Prime Minister)
has said many times – most recently with extraordinary and moving passion at the Assemblée Nationale – the destiny of the Jews of France is inextricably tied up with that of France itself: “Without the Jews of France, France will no longer be France … When the Jews of France are under attack, France is under attack, and universal values are under attack.”

hope this is a better effort Diemen - next time i will wait a few hours so as to cool off before responding to a post like that, but as the only person in this thread who lives in France, and given the recent events here with everything the country stands for under attack, i took great offence to the unfair, uninformed and incorrect assumptions in that post

Yep, apparently all now freed and gunman has surrendered to police... Not clear whether it was just an armed robbery attempt or connected to last week's events, but whatever it was tensions are running high here especially with the latest events in Belgium and more suspects also arrested by French police last night...

So Belgium just managed to prevent an attack by arresting one returned Syria warrior and killing two. shit's getting awfully close. :( Either us or Germany will be next.

Back
Top Bottom