Explosions at the Boston Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boston.com

By Noah Bierman, Globe Staff

WASHINGTON -- US Senator Lindsey Graham said this morning that the FBI told him it was initially unaware that Tamerlan Tsarnaev had traveled to Russia early last year because of a clerical error: His name was misspelled.

“He went over to Russia, but apparently, when he got on the Aeroflot plane, they misspelled his name,” Graham, a South Carolina Republican said on Fox television this morning. “So it never went into the system that he actually went to Russia.”

Graham, a member of the Armed Services Committee, said in answer to a follow-up question that he did not know whether Tsarnaev, the 26-year-old terrorist suspect who died early Friday following a shootout with law enforcement, had misspelled his name on purpose.

The FBI “said Aeroflot gave us the information” that Tsarnaev had traveled there, Graham said, though he did not specify when that occurred. Tsarnaev had been flagged to the FBI by Russian authorities in 2011.

He also did not say where the name was misspelled and why his passport and US Customs and Border Protection information did not make it into government records.

Follow-up questions to Graham’s office were not immediately answered. The FBI could not be reached for comment immediately either.

There has been at least one other variant spelling of his family name. His uncle Ruslan, who lives in Maryland, spells the last name “Tsarni.”

Graham, who on Sunday strongly questioned the FBI’s handling of a tip from Russian officials about Tsarnaev, said he spoke with the agency’s deputy director Sunday night and is now satisfied with the response.

“Once the Russians made the request, the FBI did a good job at looking at him,” Graham said.

He said the FBI interviewed Tsarnaev, his parents, and his schoolmates and did a thorough record search to see if anything came up. The agency found nothing and then wrote Russian authorities back to see if they had further information, but did not receive a response, Graham said.

I'd like to know the context

most of the stuff I saw on the news, they were going around knocking on doors and just asking if anyone had seen anything suspicious
also, keep in mind suspect 2 went to frat parties on Monday, Tues, and Weds nights. Could that be one of the places where he had been at.

Also, if that is the worst that happened, and if it happened to me where a bombing at a marathon had recently happened I could over look it with a reasonable explanation.

If this was a regular occurrence just for being Muslim, black or French Canadian, that would be a different.

ok, I watched that crappy video a second time. They cleared 9 people, looked like mostly people in their 20s, and then secured the house. A helicopter was over head the whole time. I wonder if this was next to the boat incident? Makes sense they would clear out the neighboring homes.

ok, I watched that crappy video a second time. They cleared 9 people, looked like mostly people in their 20s, and then secured the house. A helicopter was over head the whole time. I wonder if this was next to the boat incident? Makes sense they would clear out the neighboring homes.

This was clearly much earlier in the day than the boat incident which happened as dusk fell, so that theory is out.

From what I've heard this is not typical of what happened at each residence, there was some reaction from residents that caused police to take extra precautions in this case. Many residents who spoke to the news locally have said police knocked on their doors, they answered and voluntarily allowed police to search their homes, check for unlocked basement doors/bulkheads etc. My guess is the folks in this residence weren't cooperating.

This video starts with police already in place, my assumption is before the camera rolled they had knocked and got no response then moved into a more secure stance not knowing if white hat was in the house holding folks at gun point or something along those lines.

I just did not think it was wide spread or else we would be hearing a whole lot more bitching. With 9 people in the house and no one answering the door, that would make one suspicious. Watching the video, once they check the people they don;t seem to be too agessive after that. My guess, there were some reasons for this incident. One can say I am giving law enforcement the benefit, in this situation, I am inclined to do that.

I haven't had the time to watch the video, but are there even any street signs in it to authenticate that it's in Watertown MA? Date and time stamps?

During the shelter in place order homes within a certain perimeter in Watertown were searched. You were supposed to answer your door for uniformed law enforcement officers-SWAT teams, police officers, etc. I assume perhaps if you didn't after given time to ID them and have them identify themselves, they would become more forceful. He could have had someone hostage, or someone could have been hiding him. The house parties he allegedly attended were near his college, I assume-which is not in Watertown.

Ironically, the boat he was found in behind the house-well neither was searched because they were outside this perimeter. I have big questions about that, since this boat is supposedly only about a half a mile from where the gunfight happened the night before. The one in which his brother was killed.

All residents I have seen interviewed who had their homes searched have all said that the police were polite and respectful. Of course that doesn't mean that they did everything that way. I've had a couple of negative experiences myself with police officers, both while I was being 100% a law abiding citizen. So I have seen how a couple of them can behave and that they can lie. Let alone historic, non personal experiences. Both have given me a healthy skepticism. But one random You Tube video, I'd need some more evidence and context- if it's authentic to that time and place.

I don't know what the law and protocol is when they're looking for the number one FBI most wanted. Who has assassinated a police officer by ambushing him and shooting him in the back of the head while he was sitting in a cruiser. And who was lobbing pressure cooker bombs and all kinds of ied and bullets at police, and ran over his brother while trying to mow down cops. Maybe while his brother was still alive.

If they were profiling people or abusing citizens who were following orders the way they'd been instructed to, yes I'd definitely have a problem with that.

I suppose one could be innocent of being the bomber
but be a weeds grow house farmer or have teen age girls chained up in the basement.

There are all kinds of non-bomber reasons for not wanting to let the police in.

Pete Williams was the only tv person I saw who had the correct information last week, that there had not been an arrest. Unlike John King, et al. It does sound like they had plenty of weapons and devices to carry out other attacks. Who knows how much they may have had stored elsewhere, in addition to what's been found. My guess is that they were being funded and supplied, no reported independent means of support so far.

A man who claims to have been carjacked by the men authorities suspect were responsible for the Boston bombings told authorities that the duo spared him because he "wasn't American," according to NBC News.

NBC's Pete Williams, who won plaudits for his timely and accurate coverage of the Boston attacks and the ensuing manhunt, said that NBC had exchanged emails with the victim, who described the suspects as “brutal but cautious.”

A report by Cambridge, Mass. police that has been seen by the Wall Street Journal, relayed the victim's description of his abduction:

"One of the brothers jumped out of a Honda Civic and reached in through the front passenger side window of the SUV, opened the door and pointed a silver colored semi-automatic pistol at the driver... Inside the car, the brothers declared to [the victim] that they were the Boston Marathon bombers."

Politico cited reports that a senior U.S. official told The New York Times that the Tsarnaev brothers may have been headed to New York City in the vehicle they hijacked Thursday, though any other planned attacks are not confirmed.

Williams said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that the carjacking victim had heard the suspects - who were speaking in a foreign language - use the word “Manhattan.”

The man who was the alleged victim of the Tsarnaev brothers' carjacking does not wish his name to be made public.

So what I'm reading about Tamerlan is that he was basically a huge piece of shit who was pretty violent and beat his girlfriends up and got his now-widow to convert to Islam. He may also have been behind a grisly triple homicide.

Also they're confirming that the bombings were "faith driven"

you-dont-say.jpeg

The religion of peace, people :down:

Calling these extremists Muslim is like calling the Westboro Baptist Church Christian. These terrorist organizations use religion to manipulate the vulnerable.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that most Muslims view such terrorist organisations the same way in which Christians view the WBC.

I was making a broader point that Islam breeds extremism and ultraconservatism. Although I'm sure I'll be painted as a bigot for saying that here.

I used to be very defensive towards Islam and thought their religion is just as peaceful as Christianity and that it's just the supposed few radical Jihadists that give it a bad name. Then I went to Afghanistan and saw Islamic society in person. It's so twisted. I feel so bad for women who have to live in these societies.

And it's not just there. Seriously, would anyone like to live in Iran? Or Pakistan? Syria, Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen.... the list goes on.

But I'm getting off topic, so heres this:

Celeste and Sydney get an inspiring visit from the Marines - YouTube

Should we begin to delve into white Christian anti-government zealots like McVeigh? Should we invade Oklahoma?

I never understood liberals immediate response to criticism towards Islam is to immediately bring up christian extremists. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about. But even so, they're not even comparable.

Not to the extent that Islam does.

The extremists in Christianity pales in numbers and general ideology to that of Islam.

People like to bring up the WBC a lot.... as sick as they are, and I have many personal reasons to despise them, they're not on some brutal crusade to kill the unbelievers. They may preach hate, but they do it peacefully.

The extremists in Christianity pales in numbers and general ideology to that of Islam.

People like to bring up the WBC a lot.... as sick as they are, and I have many personal reasons to despise them, they're not on some brutal crusade to kill the unbelievers. They may preach hate, but they do it peacefully.
No, not to the extent that Islam does, but I think that has much more to do with the geopolitics of the Middle East than it does with the actual values of Christianity vs. Islam.

Could it be that the economic conditions of these countries -- and their historic exploitation by the West -- is what has allowed more extreme forms of Islam to flourish there? And perhaps if a Christian country were as poor as Afghanistan you'd have the same hideous aspects of Christianity on display as well. Muslims in America are moderate and prosperous and successful immigrants.

No question, the treatment of women is deplorable. But I view Islam and Islamism as a symptom and not a cause.

Also, the WBC wants me dead, so there's that.

No, not to the extent that Islam does, but I think that has much more to do with the geopolitics of the Middle East than it does with the actual values of Christianity vs. Islam

Geopolitics definitely don't help, but these two brothers spent most of their lives here in America. Their radicalization took place while they were here.

Back
Top Bottom