Explosions at the Boston Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a profiler on the radio this afternoon who espoused the exact opposite theory, that younger brother was the main cog and brains behind it and basically he allowed/sent big bro to sacrifice himself to aid in his own escape.

Apparently there were reports he "drove over" his big bro (who may have been still alive) whilst escaping. I'm curious to see how his defense plays out. Will he play the "I was only the kid brother who was cajoled by bully elder brother" card? Seeing as he was hiding in a boat, he seems like the type who will do literally anything to save his own ass.

I ABSOLUTELY understand why people have the gut feeling of wanting him dead--
--as a born & bread nyc'r who worked a year from '80-'81 on the NE Big Windows (fantastic view) 73rd floor of The South (#2) Trade Tower --
I had a deep sense of satisfaction when we found out Bin Laden had been killed.

So i understand why you'd want him to commit "hari kari" and I am glad we might find out why they did this.

Yes. Confirmed by one of the agents in the press conference. They used the public safety exception to avoid a need for Miranda rights.

here’s where another member of the chechnyan sleeper cell sneaks into the kid’s hospital room and slips something into his IV before the feds can question him.

His family can take down those missing posters.

I don't think he will be going back to Brown any time soon.

Wasn't that someone else who was wrongly named? This guy went to some community college I thought??

922871_449871391767863_1921393279_n.png

this is interesting

FBI interviewed dead Boston bombing suspect years ago - CBS News

FBI interviewed dead Boston bombing suspect years ago

The FBI admitted Friday they interviewed the now-deceased Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev two years ago and failed to find any incriminating information about him.

As first reported by CBS News correspondent Bob Orr, the FBI interviewed Tsarnaev, the elder brother of at-large bombing suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, at the request of a foreign government to see if he had any extremist ties, but failed to find any linkage.

Both Tsarnaev brothers were legal permanent residents of the U.S. There is no evidence so far that either brother received any tactical training.

CBS News correspondent John Miller reports it is likely Russia asked to have the elder Tsarnaev vetted because of suspected ties to Chechen extremists.

The FBI is likely to have run a background check, running his name through all the relevant databases, including those of other agencies, checking on his communications and all of his overseas travel. Miller reports that culminated in a sit-down interview where they probably asked him a lot of questions about his life, his contacts, his surroundings. All of this was then written in a report and sent it to the requesting government.

all I know is that after all this I am going out drinking this weekend

and god help me if I find a guy wearing a turban on my way home.

I haven't been able to follow this thread as closely as I'd like to, but this comment needs to be called out for being wholly inappropriate, jest or not. You get a lot of slack to play your devil's advocate schtick around here, deep. That's pushing it too far.

here’s where another member of the chechnyan sleeper cell sneaks into the kid’s hospital room and slips something into his IV before the feds can question him.

Last night after they captured him and loaded him into the ambulance, all the news stations said, "Now he's being taken to Mount Auburn Hospital", I said to the wife "why would they say where they're taking him?" thinking like you that either some chechyan or a local zealot would possibly try to ambush the ambulance or something like it was an episode of 24....a crowd gathered at Mount Auburn Hospital, and apparently Jack Bauer made the decision to have the ambulance drive him to Beth Israel hospital.

Good they found the guy.

But here's the thing that's going around in my head for the past couple of days.
Everyone was shocked with the Boston bombings, which killed 3 people. And in many places (including this thread) you see some bloodthirsty comments for revenge, etc. And that's understandable.
But at the same time, there have been 3,500+ people shot dead in the US since the Sandy Hook shootings in Newtown. Even 40+ since this past Monday. And for that the outpour is minimal. The US Senate even voted against even the tiniest measures for controlling the number, type and sale of guns. This included measures for a background check, something which according to some polls 90% of the Americans support.

So what's the difference? Why all this emotion for what happened in Boston and not those many gun deaths? What am I missing here?
:confused:

I'm sure the story has only just begun. I severely doubt they were "lone wolves". The older brother who went to Russia (assuming it was the Chechen Region) for 6 months must have been trained by someone. And that whole issue of a foreign country telling the FBI about him in 2011. I'd bet it was Russia who reported him, they must keep tabs on the Chechens and saw someone was in contact with this guy.

Now it's odd because the Chechen Separatists have concentrated their attacks on Russia, so why start with the US too? Who knows, but terrorists are terrorists and they hate the west, and the US has supported Russia in the conflict. Plus, they've been linked with Al Qaeda.

Just my speculation, but it seems highly unlikely the 26-year-old brother did all this by himself without any outside guidance. I doubt the younger one has much information, but hopefully he has some.

So what's the difference? Why all this emotion for what happened in Boston and not those many gun deaths? What am I missing here?

Many people here have been asking the same thing.

Paraphrasing what Jon Stewart said the other night ... we only care when foreigners come in and kill Americans. We don't mind so much when we kill each other.

Acts of terrorism change the way you live in your daily life. Being afraid of bring in crowds or walking by a trash can or doing every day, normal activities is what is so frightening about this.

I don't mean to say that those people who have been shot dead in an isolated event deserved it or something, but overall it should be no surprise that an act of terrorism is a much bigger deal. Especially when this wasn't just three dead. It was roughly 200 injured, with several amputees and thousands effected during the event and millions effected in the following days.

It's not the same.

Good they found the guy.

But here's the thing that's going around in my head for the past couple of days.
Everyone was shocked with the Boston bombings, which killed 3 people. And in many places (including this thread) you see some bloodthirsty comments for revenge, etc. And that's understandable.
But at the same time, there have been 3,500+ people shot dead in the US since the Sandy Hook shootings in Newtown. Even 40+ since this past Monday. And for that the outpour is minimal. The US Senate even voted against even the tiniest measures for controlling the number, type and sale of guns. This included measures for a background check, something which according to some polls 90% of the Americans support.

It becomes even more disturbing when you extrapolate the violence to the whole world. How many innocent Syrians have died over the course of the last year? Yet that is barely a footnote in most US news coverage.

Acts of terrorism change the way you live in your daily life. Being afraid of bring in crowds or walking by a trash can or doing every day, normal activities is what is so frightening about this.

I don't mean to say that those people who have been shot dead in an isolated event deserved it or something, but overall it should be no surprise that an act of terrorism is a much bigger deal. Especially when this wasn't just three dead. It was roughly 200 injured, with several amputees and thousands effected during the event and millions effected in the following days.

It's not the same.

what about kids going to school?? or going to the cinema??

Back
Top Bottom