Explosions at the Boston Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was watching tv and the report from ABC was that a suspect had either been identified or was very close to being identified. They said it was possible that an arrest was imminent, but didn't go quite so far as to say an arrest actually was imminent.

they got the 1996 Olympic bomber wrong.

I thought of this too. Richard Jewel went through years of hell because he was identified as a suspect in that bombing. And why was he considered a suspect in the first place? Largely because he did his job well -- noticed the bomb and helped move people away from it before it exploded. Sigh.

The problem is that the Boston Globe reporters have sources in the Boston Police Department, but there are several different agencies involved in this investigation. Automatically leads to conflicted reports since different people are hearing different things, even on an official level.

Now the Globe is reporting that federal court and a hospital are being evacuated, their sources being people who were told to evacuate.

I thought of this too. Richard Jewel went through years of hell because he was identified as a suspect in that bombing. And why was he considered a suspect in the first place? Largely because he did his job well -- noticed the bomb and helped move people away from it before it exploded. Sigh.
A lawyer who once worked with Jewell taught one of my classes, and that case still bothers him.

You know I expect this nonsense from the Cable "News" networks, but not from the AP and other print sources. Is it too much to ask for news to be accurate?

AP seems to be the worse
I think people should want an explanation from Jakes

what does she consider a source?

this is what she wrote, or what was published in her story

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.

was this just made up, exaggerated from a less credible source?

The Jewell thing and what we're talking about are two separate issues. People have been wrongly identified as suspects for as long as there has been law enforcement. The issue here is a rush to get a story to 'press'

But in this day and age, is it that hard to imagine essentially the same effect happening if a news outlet were to report a suspect's name without an arrest actually happening?

In that case, there would be societal repercussions for that individual, at least for a while, but I'd like to think it wouldn't affect official investigations

wow, that Faux News link is so bogus, when I posted the link it said something like, "An anonymous police source reported to Fox News that a suspect has been arrested." Now the link has been changed without any statement, like "updated from". Bastards, next time I will copy and paste there phony shit.
at least the original title is still in my post

looks like they are all now saying 'identified' only.

these news outlets should be held accountable when they jump the gun with only 'unidentified sources'.

it seems we now have a low standard for 'so-called' journalism.

I have been chastised for being skeptical, anyone that is not is just too gullible these days.

You're absolutely dead-on here. Clowns like John King and Wolf Blitzer are ritualistically chanting references to "sources", the god-seed upon which all knowledge springs. Sources tell us the suspect is a dark skinned man. Also, he's white, and in custody, and not arrested.

Kudos to NBC for not being morons (here).

10 Boston Marathon Bombing 'Suspects' 4chan And Reddit Found [PHOTOS]

boston-marathon-attendee.jpg

^^ thats the guy the FBI has as a suspect right now. He was on his phone at the time of the first explosion standing where the second one went off seconds later.

I'm not politically correct, so I'm going to go ahead and say he looks middle-eastern to me, which also to me highly suggests Jihad, as well as the bombs themselves being well made.

Whether that ends up being the guy or not, it's really irresponsible to name 10 suspects and then post photos of them for the world to see and judge. It's unfortunate that maybe all 10, maybe 9 will be totally innocent bystanders

Also, how do you know that's the guy the FBI has identified? I haven't seen this anywhere.

Whether that ends up being the guy or not, it's really irresponsible to name 10 suspects and then post photos of them for the world to see and judge. It's unfortunate that maybe all 10, maybe 9 will be totally innocent bystanders

Also, how do you know that's the guy the FBI has identified? I haven't seen this anywhere.

These are just people on the internet speculating. But I recognized the first photo as the same photo in another article, albeit with his face blurred, that I saw earlier. I'm trying to find it.

I was amazed the first day when they said they had detained/questioned someone who was seen running away from the scene. (Was that the one described as the "Saudi national," or was that someone else?)

Um .... someone running away from an explosion was unusual and cause for suspicion?

The guy could easily be Hispanic or of Southern European descent (Portuguese, Sicilian, Greek).

The media is looking for high ratings, and with lack of news, they're losing those ratings.

I'm not politically correct, so I'm going to go ahead and say he looks middle-eastern to me, which also to me highly suggests Jihad, as well as the bombs themselves being well made.

it's ok guys, we've got an expert here

do you think it was a lone wolf or part of a terror cell, broseph?

scum

But a crucial piece of evidence called a taggant that could be used to trace the gunpowder used in the bombs to a buyer at a point of sale is not available to investigators.

“If you had a good taggant this would be a good thing for this kind of crime. It could help identify the point of manufacturer, and chain of custody,” Bob Morhard, an explosives consultant and chief executive officer of Zukovich, Morhard & Wade, LLC., in Pennsylvania, who has traced explosives and detonators in use in the United States and Saudi Arabia, told MSNBC.com. “The problem is nobody wants to know what the material is.”

Explosives manufacturers are required to place tracing elements known as identification taggants only in plastic explosives but not in gunpowder, thanks to lobbying efforts by the NRA and large gun manufacturing groups.

by the way, there appears to be some sort of consensus that they ACTUALLY DID catch the guy mailing the ricin letters. Dude is from Mississippi, which explains why on earth anyone has a killer feud with that US Senator.

Another thing I'm getting of is the news channels repeatedly showing the video of the bombing. As if we don't know by now how it happened.

All three cable news stations have gotten silly in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom