Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #916
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I sincerely doubt you are as against the execution of innocent people as I am.
Let me try this. What kind of doubt lies "beyond reasonable doubt."

Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #917
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Let me try this. What kind of doubt lies "beyond reasonable doubt."
Not sure I understand the question.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #918
45:33

Local Time: 12:26 AM
I sympathise a bit with INDY on this. He brought up someone who had shot dead 13 people - guilty. I don't really have an issue with that person being given the death penalty. A man here last week beat his 11yo son in the head with a cricket bat and then stabbed him in the neck. He was shot by police after threatening them with a knife and later died in hospital. Had he been given the death penalty I wouldn't really have had a problem with that either.

The problem of course arises from what peef, irvine, diemen et al are talking about. The death penalty will see innocent people being killed, and that is why I don't and never will support it. As diemen said, you can be released from prison, but you can't be un-executed.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #919
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

not to mention countries where it's outlawed completely have far lower murder rates than the usa.

there's an obvious correlation here with these two facts.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #920
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I sympathise a bit with INDY on this. He brought up someone who had shot dead 13 people - guilty. I don't really have an issue with that person being given the death penalty. A man here last week beat his 11yo son in the head with a cricket bat and then stabbed him in the neck. He was shot by police after threatening them with a knife and later died in hospital. Had he been given the death penalty I wouldn't really have had a problem with that either.

The problem of course arises from what peef, irvine, diemen et al are talking about. The death penalty will see innocent people being killed, and that is why I don't and never will support it. As diemen said, you can be released from prison, but you can't be un-executed.
That's pretty much my stance too. The situation where murderers and rapist are 100% guilty, they can die for all I care... but the large inaccuracy is too much to validate it.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #921
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:26 PM
But why? This is about justice. We have a system to keep those who a harm, or those who could harm society, locked up or even provide assistance to rehabilitate.

I don't see how putting someone to death, even the most serious of crime, makes us any Better than the person who committed the crime.

Acting on emotion is usually what got someone into the criminal behavior in the first place.

If the person is mentally ill, had no control over what they were doing, you still justice is to put them to death versus studying why they do what they do?

And I understand some beat the system, get out and cause problems again. But you fix the system. There will always be flaws, but our society evokes and so should out laws. Killing someone for a crime is barbaric
Old 02-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #922
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 02:26 PM
I'm not saying it makes us better. But it does make society safer, protecting possible future victims from repeated crimes. And insane nutjobs like that serve no purpose to society either way, so we're better off without it.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #923
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I'm not saying it makes us better. But it does make society safer, protecting possible future victims from repeated crimes. And insane nutjobs like that serve no purpose to society either way, so we're better off without it.
The death penalty does not prevent crime.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #924
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
That's pretty much my stance too. The situation where murderers and rapist are 100% guilty, they can die for all I care... but the large inaccuracy is too much to validate it.
I'm basically pretty much of this opinion as well.