Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #691
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
No, not to the extent that Islam does, but I think that has much more to do with the geopolitics of the Middle East than it does with the actual values of Christianity vs. Islam.
It has more to do with the tenants of Islam (which I admittedly am far from an expert on). Spreading religion by the sword and what not. If we're going to argue that gun culture in the states fosters violence, then we should recognize that the 'culture' of the quran has the same affect (and vice versa)

Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #692
Refugee

Quote:
Could it be that the economic conditions of these countries -- and their historic exploitation by the West -- is what has allowed more extreme forms of Islam to flourish there? And perhaps if a Christian country were as poor as Afghanistan you'd have the same hideous aspects of Christianity on display as well. Muslims in America are moderate and prosperous and successful immigrants.

No question, the treatment of women is deplorable. But I view Islam and Islamism as a symptom and not a cause.

Also, the WBC wants me dead, so there's that.
Most Muslims in America are extremely liberal, as far as Islam and its interpretation goes. Perhaps you should browse through the Koran. Basically it spells out that women are objects, to be treated as slaves. And a lot of other violent beliefs.

And yeah I know the WBC wants you dead, but my point was they're not going to come into your home and shoot you. But hey they also want me dead too, so there's something we have in common!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #693
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree that there's a warped Islam out there in a way that Christianity right now is not.

But, also, the Crusades. The Inquisition.

Religion is, itself, one big problem with potential for infinite terror.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #694
Refugee

Quote:
The older brother did not spend most of his life in America.
I realized after I posted that. But even still, everything I've read about him said he didn't become fervently devout until only a few years ago.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #695
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post

Most Muslims in America are extremely liberal, as far as Islam and its interpretation goes. Perhaps you should browse through the Koran. Basically it spells out that women are objects, to be treated as slaves. And a lot of other violent beliefs.
The Bible has a pretty crappy view of women as well, if you want it to.

Quote:
And yeah I know the WBC wants you dead, but my point was they're not going to come into your home and shoot you. But hey they also want me dead too, so there's something we have in common!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #696
Refugee

Quote:
I agree that there's a warped Islam out there in a way that Christianity right now is not.

But, also, the Crusades. The Inquisition.

Religion is, itself, one big problem with potential for infinite terror.
Oh I agree. But Christianity was able to move forward. Islam is still living in the 1200's
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #697
Refugee

Celeste and Sydney get an inspiring visit from the Marines - YouTube

A Marine who had his legs blown off visited a woman in the Boston hospital who also lost both of her legs. Very moving.

I posted this a few pages back, but wasnt able to figure out how to embed it. Help please?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #698
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Oh I agree. But Christianity was able to move forward. Islam is still living in the 1200's
Islam is about as old now as Christianity was during the Spanish Inquisition. Perhaps not so coincidentally
Old 04-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #699
ONE
love, blood, life

Celeste and Sydney get an inspiring visit from the Marines - YouTube
Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #700
Refugee

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #701
ONE
love, blood, life

No problem
Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #702
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I was making a broader point that Islam breeds extremism and ultraconservatism. Although I'm sure I'll be painted as a bigot for saying that here.

I used to be very defensive towards Islam and thought their religion is just as peaceful as Christianity and that it's just the supposed few radical Jihadists that give it a bad name. Then I went to Afghanistan and saw Islamic society in person. It's so twisted. I feel so bad for women who have to live in these societies.

And it's not just there. Seriously, would anyone like to live in Iran? Or Pakistan? Syria, Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen.... the list goes on.
And have you ever read how the American Christian Dominionists want to treat women, people of color, the LGBT community, non-"belivers" etc should they (shudder ) ever take over the USA?

As a woman I wouldn't want to live in the countries you've mentioned.

Iraq (not excusing Saddam's own horrific actions) pre-USA-invasion was a secular country. Women drove, were in Universities as students, held various kinds of jobs including i believe in the professional classes, they could go where ever they wanted, dressed the way wanted to etc
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #703
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
It has more to do with the tenants of Islam (which I admittedly am far from an expert on). Spreading religion by the sword and what not. If we're going to argue that gun culture in the states fosters violence, then we should recognize that the 'culture' of the quran has the same affect (and vice versa)
"
well we have the Spanish forcibly trying to convert the "heathen" Native Americans....

and even later in The States particularly late 1880's and into some part of the 20th century ?into the 30's maybe 40's forceable coersion of Native American children into boarding schools, forebiddining their language, forebidening their religious practices.....

on the other hand
and I am a bit peeved that some of you seem to equate all religions with conserve, intolerence etc
I as a born & bred NYC'r have been fortunate to know about some of the most liberal, ecumenical churches, temples etc here
i left my own (and organized) relgion long ago tho there are some very good aspects.... i consider myself a spiritual person who also follows science as well....
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #704
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And yeah I know the WBC wants you dead, but my point was they're not going to come into your home and shoot you.[COLOR="Red"] But hey they also want me dead too, so there's something we have in common![COLOR]
wait...i know why Islamic Extremists would want Irvine dead...but why would you be a target? Secular Humanist?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #705
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:32 AM
I think history has shown nearly all religions to be violent.

Christians seem to have adapted to a secular society. Could be society would have banished them, or enough of them realized burning at the stake and witch hunts eventually would have cost them all their lives.

Islam is still trying to figure this out. Geography probably plays a part but overall I think Islam is a more violent religion. Does the Koran have a New Testament style book with some hippie preaching love (and of course contradicting it a few gospels later )

How come Christians living in Palestine don't blow themselves up? Are they not in the same boat as their Muslim neighbors?

Not sure what the solution is. Education over in the Middle East would help. Liberating women. Quit bombing the crap out of it by us and other western allies. But we also can't sit back and allow radicals to grow and form against us.