Explosions at the Boston Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be clear, Deep, for your concerns, feigned or otherwise: I am not reporting things people are saying they saw from other news sources. Only directly attributed things from news stations themselves. I have seen several people commenting on CBS News reporting information others have not, but since I haven't heard it from them directly, I'm not passing it along.

I don't know where or what SkyNews is (UK source, I believe), but they've reported a third blast at the JFK Library.

Boston Marathon Explosions: Third Blast
There has been a third explosion, a controlled one by the police. There was also a fire at JFK Library in a mechanical room that was unrelated to the explosions, according to the library's director.

I wasn't trying to start a info pissing contest (though if you want to have an actual pissing contest, I might be interested). Just trying to remain skeptical. We all know how quickly misinformation spreads when these things happen

Not at all, I'd actually heard the exact same info on CNN that you'd posted. I just came across that article, so there was an actual source for it.

Looks like Reuters is reporting the third blast as well.

http://i.imgur.com/RmWt6fN.png

I hope that is correct.

US OFFICIAL: 2 MORE EXPLOSIVES FOUND AT MARATHON
BY LARA JAKES
AP NATIONAL SECURITY WRITER

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A senior U.S. intelligence official says two more explosive devices have been found near the scene of the Boston marathon where two bombs detonated earlier.

The official said the new devices were being dismantled.

It was not immediately clear what kind of devices had been found Monday. The official said the first two did appear to be bombs.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.

The official said it was not clear what the motive was or who may have launched the attack.

If they can examine these devices, a lot can be learned.

The TV News is saying the first two were cell phone detonated. If they shut down the cellular that may be why these two did not go off?

The police commissioner says that the JFK library incident is believed to be connected with the other two explosions.

The controlled explosion was not the JFK Library explosion, as I tried to note above. Whatever happened at JFK was different. The library has repeatedly stated (once by the director and then again by the National Archive) any connection is "speculative," but the police commissioner seems to have suspicions about it.

boston-explosion-4.jpg

calling this a first and second explosion almost seems wrong

I would call it two explosions at the same time.

the JKF Libaray incident, I have seen it called an incendiary device

Explosions kill two at Boston Marathon; Third explosion at JFK library - The Globe and Mail

may not be the same player

I would think there is a fairly constant amount of runners crossing the finish line over a long period of time

Yup. My dad is a runner and I've been to a few marathons and that's how it always is. A constant flow of tired, sweaty people.

This just fucking sucks. The marathons I've been to are always really fun. A great atmosphere, people cheering and supporting each other. Damn.

AP is reporting there were two "explosive" devices found that are currently being dismantled.

US OFFICIAL: 2 MORE EXPLOSIVES FOUND AT MARATHON
BY LARA JAKES
AP NATIONAL SECURITY WRITER

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A senior U.S. intelligence official says two more explosive devices have been found near the scene of the Boston marathon where two bombs detonated earlier.

The official said the new devices were being dismantled.

it is not a big deal, there are at least two threads in the archives in here where I quoted a reliable source that turned out to be fiction

at this point, based on the Boston Police press release that AP story is not credible, it just seemed wrong to me.

(this is not directed at any post in here, but a general question about this event)

I forget the Latin term, is it - cui bono

Who benefits?

Did you think I was trying to tout the Associated Press as infallible? Good Lord.

did you think I was trying to say news outlets were not reporting it?

I was saying I did not trust the story, :"A senior U.S. intelligence official says "

that is why I ask you if you saw (on TV) this person say it

it sounded too much like that bitch Judith Miller and the NY Times lying their way into the Iraq War

Never fails. A tragedy happens and deep unleashes his crankiness.

A friend of mine lives in Boston. She's fine but I hope the reporter from her radio station is too.

NBC News says the bombs were homemade.

Sad day.

not wanting wrong or fake stories is being cranky?

I would like to get to the bottom of this ASAP and get the people responsible in custody and punished

Considering it's almost impossible for any of us to substantiate any claim made in any news story, there's not much you can do to avoid it. Misinformation is a part of high profile news situations these days, everyone wants to report things first.

very true, that is why I have learned to look at everything (a bit) skeptically, especially at first,
and only bother to speak up, if something sounds too sketchy or out right fraudulent.

here in CA, it is already beginning

Security beefed up at LAX, Dodger Stadium after Boston Marathon blasts

Los Angeles Times | April 15, 2013 | 2:05 PM
Law enforcement authorities in Southern California are beefing up security in the wake of today's explosions at the Boston Marathon.

At Los Angeles International Airport, officials are increasing checkpoints at entrances and where crowds gather. More bomb-sniffing dogs will be on patrol inside and outside the airport.

The Los Angeles Police Department is increasing security at Dodger games. Orange County officials also plan more patrols at sporting and entertainment events.

my impression is this is a home grown group

truth is there is nothing they (we) can do to stop this

things I no longer care about, privacy in public places,

I would like there to be video cameras just about every where. there could be plenty of video of who ever planted these bombs if we stopped bitching about privacy. also, muggers and rapists could get apprehended and wrongly accused people could prove their whereabouts for alibis.

Considering it's almost impossible for any of us to substantiate any claim made in any news story, there's not much you can do to avoid it. Misinformation is a part of high profile news situations these days, everyone wants to report things first.

This. The only other option is for nobody to talk about it for a couple days, which is unreasonable.

Back
Top Bottom