Explosions at the Boston Marathon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything about this family is really odd to me and very unlike all other immigrant families I've known (and having immigrated myself as a child, I've known many). Typically, in the "new country" people tend to stick together, stay close, etc because they don't have external emotional supports or friends. But here you have this family, various aunts and uncles, none of whom have been in touch with these kids for at least 8+ years. Moreover, at least one of the sisters has also had no contact with her brothers for years. Really peculiar.

my extended family is just like that - immigrant family in the UK, all (apart from me, nice and peaceful in another country LOL) living within 20 miles of each other and not seeing/speaking to each other... constant family feuds and fall-outs between the aunt/uncle/parent generation, and all of that generation seriously as mad as cats (although the younger generation, i.e. cousins, are mostly pretty stable and lovely and get on very well, and many of us younger generation are estranged from the older generation) - it would seriously be a NIGHTMARE if any of my family did something media-worthy LOL

This op-ed covers radicalism and where it comes from:

Brian Levin, J.D.: More Questions Than Answers in the Radicalization of Suspected Boston Bombers

The comments offer great insight too.

that "expert" validates what I wrote

Chechens' main target has been Russia not the United States, and while they are Muslim, their conflict has been as much if not more a nationalistic one. After a bloody civil war broke out in 1994 where Chechens tried to gain independence Russia prevailed. Since then some of the most spectacular terrorist attacks in recent history have been committed against Russian targets by Chechen nationalists, many of whom are women.

he seems legit

Oh man he's fucked now:

iWNCz5UYNtz2z.gif

Guess you got your wish, Mikal.

It's from the DailyFail so take with a gigantic grain of salt, but Tamerlan's wife is named Katherine Russell and she's from Rhode Island.

According to the story, she and Tamerlan used to visit all the time. She moved home without him a year ago.

EXCLUSIVE: The middle class student who married Boston bomber and had daughter with him after secretly converting to Islam at college | Mail Online

her name is Keri ( his American wife)

and here is another picture

not sure i remember or that maybe i remember it being later than it was that chechnian war back then but did know that chechnian rebels have continued actions in the Moscow area off & on...

after suspecting really (usa) right-wing types, possibly right-wing Islamists, the thought popped in my mind early eve yesterday Eastern European ? don't know why.

Good Luck to anyone in the Boston Mewgalopolis area here with us (of course in general, too! :yikes:

just to correct something I said earlier, the 7-11 robbery now appears to have been coincidental- they still got images of the two brothers because they stopped to buy gas at another nearby spot.

all I know is that after all this I am going out drinking this weekend

and god help me if I find a guy wearing a turban on my way home.

I can't listen to this scanner any more. I have to hit the road to DFW for a wedding (driving through West, as it were), but at this point it looks like I won't be missing anything.

just tape your smartphone to the dash and keep it open here, I feel some more brilliant replies forth coming,

anytime,

now

i'm still much more scared of white males in their late teens and early 20's with semiautomaic weapons and unlimited ammo than i am of Muslims.

it would seriously be a NIGHTMARE if any of my family did something media-worthy LOL

:lol: Reminds me of my Polish friend who said that in Poland there is a saying to the effect of "family is nice to have....in photos."

Here's where everything went to shit:

Meanwhile, at 2:14am Eastern, an official on the police scanner said, "Last name: Mulugeta, M-U-L-U-G-E-T-A, M as in Mike, Mulugeta." And thus was born the newest suspect in the case: Mike Mulugeta. It doesn't appear that Mulugeta, whoever he or she is, has a first name of Mike. And yet that name, "Mike Mulugeta," was about to become notorious.

But not at first.

A single tweet references Mulugeta at the time his name was said on the scanner. A Twitter user named Carcel Mousineau simply said, "Just read the name Mike Mulugeta on the scanner." It was retweeted exactly once. In the unofficial transcript of the scanner on Reddit, at least as it stands now, the reading of the name was recorded simply: "Police listed a name, unclear if related."

The next step in this information flow is the trickiest one. Here's what I know. At 2:42am, Greg Hughes, who had been following the Tripathi speculation, tweeted, "This is the Internet's test of 'be right, not first' with the reporting of this story. So far, people are doing a great job. #Watertown" Then, at 2:43am, he tweeted, "BPD has identified the names: Suspect 1: Mike Mulugeta. Suspect 2: Sunil Tripathi."

The only problem is that there is no mention of Sunil Tripathi in the audio preceding Hughes' tweet. I've listened to it a dozen times and there's nothing there even remotely resembling Tripathi's name. I've embedded the audio from 2:35 to 2:45 am for your own inspection. Multiple groups of people have been crowdsourcing logs of the police scanner chatter and none of them have found a reference to Tripathi, either. It's just not there.

So "make random shit up" is just as plausible a worry as it's always been for twitter-sourced news

So I've been trying to follow this thread during a busy day at work. There's a lot of information being thrown around and I want to make sure I have everything right. If you guys don't mind walking me through this, that would be great. I'm not sure what to believe anymore, but from what I can tell, Hewson made fun of Mikal about a year ago; something to do with liking every sports team or something? Then Hewson said that Mikal wasn't funny earlier in this thread, which Mikal took as an opportunity to dish out some revenge (served very cold, apparently) and told Hewson he was a troll and a coward and to bring it on. Then Diemen told them both to quit fucking around. Is that about right?

So I've been trying to follow this thread during a busy day at work. There's a lot of information being thrown around and I want to make sure I have everything right. If you guys don't mind walking me through this, that would be great. I'm not sure what to believe anymore, but from what I can tell, Hewson made fun of Mikal about a year ago; something to do with liking every sports team or something? Then Hewson said that Mikal wasn't funny earlier in this thread, which Mikal took as an opportunity to dish out some revenge (served very cold, apparently) and told Hewson he was a troll and a coward and to bring it on. Then Diemen told them both to quit fucking around. Is that about right?

Yes.

Also, two Chechens bombed the Boston Marathon, injured/maimed/killed scores of people, knocked over a 7-11, shot a cop, hijacked a car, and threw grenades at police. One of them was shot by police and then run over by his accomplice, who is still on the loose, requiring the greater Boston metroplex to be shut down for an entire day.

But that's a minor aside.

Back
Top Bottom