Ex-Sinn Fein negotiator shot dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeminngly this guy had been hiding out in a remote cottage in the north west of Ireland ever since his exposure as an agent working for the British security servces. Only a week or so ago, a Sunday newspaper published a photo of the cottage he was living in and an interview with him - questions will be asked as the assassins, whoever they were, could possibly have used this information to track him down.

As Justin24 said there'll be all kinds of conspiracy theories over the next few days and weeks.

Family of murdered N. Irish spy accept IRA denial

Reuters, April 7, 2006

BELFAST--The Irish Republican Army was not behind this week's murder of an Irish nationalist who spied for Britain, the dead man's family said on Friday, in a statement that criticized the media for revealing his whereabouts. "We acknowledge the speedy statement from the IRA disassociating themselves from this murder," the family said in a statement issued by their solicitors in Northern Ireland. "We believe that statement to be true."

The guerrilla group, which last July pledged to pursue its goal of ending British rule in the province through peaceful means, issued a swift denial on Tuesday after Denis Donaldson was shot at a remote hideout in rugged northwestern Ireland.

Police have launched a murder investigation, but say they have yet to identify a motive for the killing of the former IRA bomber who last year admitted to spying on fellow Irish nationalists on behalf of British security forces.

"In December, Denis left his home in Belfast and moved to Donegal where it was his desire that he be left alone to rebuild his life," the family said on Friday. "Unfortunately, he continued to be pursued by sections of the media, some of whom gave details about his whereabouts...We would ask those politicians and media commentators who have sought to use this tragedy to score cheap political points to stop doing so."

Senior members of the IRA's political ally, Sinn Fein, have pointed out that Donaldson's former British spy masters may also have wanted to silence him while others have pointed to dissident Republicans looking to settle old scores.

"The difficult situation which our family has been put in is the direct result of the activities of the Special Branch and British Intelligence agencies," Donaldson's relatives said. Sinn Fein has repeatedly pointed out that Donaldson, whose Republican credentials had been thought to be beyond question, only became an informer after being compromised by Britain.

The timing of the murder, two days before a meeting between British and Irish heads of government, also sparked speculation the killers wanted to disrupt Thursday's last-ditch bid by London and Dublin to persuade the province's politicians to share power.
How likely is it that this statement merely reflects loyalty regardless of events to the republican cause--or self-protection-- on the part of Donaldson's family? I really am not familiar with the background of his case and the "compromised by Britain" aspect.

verte76 said:
The torture makes this even more disgusting.

Well the last I heard about the tortue aspect, the police have said there wasn't any, the wounds on his hands and arms were caused by him trying to shield himself from a shotgun blast.

Ah..."The Troubles" are back. I've always been rather disgusted by that terminology. It is that British/Irish way of speaking that minimizes, and makes sound polite, murder and terror. Call it what it is.

Ah..."The Troubles" are back. I've always been rather disgusted by that terminology. It is that British/Irish way of speaking that minimizes, and makes sound polite, murder and terror. Call it what it is.

Where are you from, Knuckle, if you don't mind my asking?

If I tell you, do you promise not to dispatch a goon squad upon me? I see that you are from Ireland, and my comments were not intended to offend. This forum seems to be one where people can speak freely, and there does not seem to be any limit to the amount of abuse visited upon my country.

I live a few minutes from Philadelphia, but I have plenty of British/Irish connections (most of my aunts, uncles, cousins) live in Ireland and Britain and we visit each other regularly. I also attended university in England for one year (the rest in USA).

Now your turn. Are you in Dublin, and do you work in the world of finance? I have imagined that you are sitting on a pile of family money and spend your time managing it. You are expert at finding detailed articles on finance and politics. I do not always agree with what you write, but you obviously stay well-informed.

I agree with Knuckle. "The Troubles" is too polite, in phrasing. When it comes to the murders and terror, which have plagued Northern Ireland for decades.

Calling it 'The Troubles' has never really bothered me, even though I can clearly see how it is not quite the apt term for it, but I would be lying if I said it did. Anyone have any insight on who coined the term 'The Troubles'?

I don't know who coined the phrase. But, I was reading the Belfast News on the internet and The Real IRA has threatened to kill Martin McGunniess. I know. I just spelled his last name wrong. Anyway, he holds the highest Catholic office in the power sharing government.

Back
Top Bottom