ESPN Fires Employee For Jeremy Lin Headline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BVS said:
Faggot has more than one meaning too, so do you want to defend that?

Faggot means the same thing when it's a reference to gays. That's where it comes from

I think the problem with a lot of the hyper-sensitivity here is,

To be fair, you seem more upset about this than anyone else posting on this topic.

Somewhere between being knotted up in absurd political correctness and "I don't give a fuck, I'll say what I want to who I want and they can just deal" is a little thing called common sense. :shrug:

The way I see it, the guy who tweeted (and who is supposedly "sorry") was clearly in the wrong and his tweet was much more offensive.

The guy who did the headline--I don't know, his reaction makes me think it really was an oversight. I'm amazed that he'd take the loss of his job no less, with such a decent attitude.

As for the whole tacos thing and political correctness in general, I really don't ever worry about being PC. I generally don't have to because I tend to not relate to people in terms of my biases about their race or culture. It would never have even occured to me ask a Mexican if he'd like to go out for tacos. For me, it'd be like, lets go get lunch, where do you want to go. I would never presume to know what he'd like for lunch based on his culture or ethnicity.

As for our men and women in uniform. . .look I have a good number of former students serving our country right now. One will be commissioned as an officer in the USMC this summer and I'll attending the ceremony. Sorry, the "you sorry lefties don't appreciate the troops" doesn't apply to me. :wave:

:huh: What are you talking about?

Your shitty attitude makes it difficult to carry on a civil conversation.

A faggot is a small pile of twigs you burn to start a larger fire. It's meaning didn't change when it started being applied to gays. It's nothing like the word chink

I actually had the same reaction, but he posted it before I did. I see what you're saying now (it also means bassoon! or maybe that's a foreign word), but your previous comment was worded wonky or something. The "that's where it comes from" threw me.

Jive Turkey said:
Your shitty attitude makes it difficult to carry on a civil conversation.

A faggot is a small pile of twigs you burn to start a larger fire. It's meaning didn't change when it started being applied to gays. It's nothing like the word chink

Me being confused is now a shitty attitude?

Baffled.

So that word doesn't have two meanings? Still baffled...

I actually had the same reaction, but he posted it before I did. I see what you're saying now (it also means bassoon! or maybe that's a foreign word), but your previous comment was worded wonky or something. The "that's where it comes from" threw me.

Ya, but I'm a scatter brain and often have to edit several times ;)

It helps when he does preface his posts with that annoying face. I guess it's kinda his 'thing' though

Me being confused is now a shitty attitude?

Baffled.

So that word doesn't have two meanings? Still baffled...

It's the way you choose to word your posts. And if you're still baffled after my explanation, then there's nothing more I can do for you

Jive Turkey said:
It's the way you choose to word your posts. And if you're still baffled after my explanation, then there's nothing more I can do for you

Your wording caused others to question as well.

My only point is that the word has legitimate definitions and slur definition. Nothing more, nothing less.

Your wording caused others to question as well.

and you could've questioned it a lot less dickishly

My only point is that the word has legitimate definitions and slur definition. Nothing more, nothing less.

But it's essentially the same word referring to the same thing. It's just being applied in different situations. Chink the slur and chink the dent or gap or whatever are completely separate.
But anyway, it's just a small point in the conversation and probably not worth much more discussion

i can't see how ANYBODY would not have made the connection between "Chink" and a Chinese-American player.

it's like an Onion headline.

i was being ironic. lots of people are far more offended by accusations of racism than they are by actual racism.

like the people who refuse to believe that there's anything race-related in the Tea Party.

Which explains why the Tea Party vigorously fought against Charlie Crist, Mike Castle, Dede Scozzafava, Bob Bennett and all those other white GOP establishment candidates. Oh wait, that actually disproves your B.S. allegation.

But yes, false charges of racism are should be very offensive to everyone. Too bad rabid partisanship leaves some blind to that.

i can't see how ANYBODY would not have made the connection between "Chink" and a Chinese-American player.

it's like an Onion headline.

It's like the South Park episode when they're trying to come up with a new flag design

Jive Turkey said:
and you could've questioned it a lot less dickishly

Interesting that you are on the side of "why so sensitive" yet you're totally misreading an innocent question as "shitty" and "dickish" and acting a little offended yourself.

I meant nothing by it, good night my friend.

Which explains why the Tea Party vigorously fought against Charlie Crist, Mike Castle, Dede Scozzafava, Bob Bennett and all those other white GOP establishment candidates. Oh wait, that actually disproves your B.S. allegation.

it's true. knowing a black person means you cannot be racist. why some people have been in the army with black people and showered next to them. automatically: not racist. it's like when Bill O'Reilly went to that restaurant in Harlem was all like, "wow, everyone was so well behaved" -- he can't be racist anymore! he went to Harlem and he saw nice black people! my immediate subordinate is a black person. she's great at her job. it makes me feel good because if i were racist i totally would never see that.

But yes, false charges of racism are should be very offensive to everyone. Too bad partisanship leaves some blind to that.

and much more important than actual racism.

Interesting that you are on the side of "why so sensitive" yet you're totally misreading an innocent question as "shitty" and "dickish" and acting a little offended yourself.

I meant nothing by it, good night my friend.

It's no secret around here that you don't know how to carry on a conversation without getting all bitchy. I wasn't being sensitive, just pointing something out for you.

Sweet dreams

When I first read this I thought it could easily be one of those completely unintentional things and what surprised me more is that it got published, so I assumed it got past at least one or two people and NOBODY noticed it was offensive? Maybe I work in an industry where we obsess over every "the" and every comma so it's unimaginable to think something like that would slip by.
As a sports web editor, I can tell you it is because the emphasis is speed in too many cases. That's how you get situations like CBS reporting Joe Paterno was dead when he wasn't.

it's true. knowing a black person means you cannot be racist. why some people have been in the army with black people and showered next to them. automatically: not racist. it's like when Bill O'Reilly went to that restaurant in Harlem was all like, "wow, everyone was so well behaved" -- he can't be racist anymore! he went to Harlem and he saw nice black people! my immediate subordinate is a black person. she's great at her job. it makes me feel good because if i were racist i totally would never see that.

and much more important than actual racism.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,"
sen Joe Biden on Barack Obama

take your Tea Party hate and your double standards to the Tea Party thread.

But yes, false charges of racism are should be very offensive to everyone. Too bad rabid partisanship leaves some blind to that.

Racism is not as simple as Hood-wearing white supremacists. . .

To a degree, racism is part of the human condition. We have some unique historical antecedents here in the U.S. that make it more sticky between certain racial groups, but prejudice, stereotypes etc etc. I don't think anyone is 100% free of those.

I know I'm not. I'll tell you when you live outside the United States for awhile immersed in other cultures, you realize how common it really is. I am ashamed to admit that the longer I lived in Saipan, ironically, the easier it was to get lazy and fall into racial/cultural stereotyping of the cultures around you. You think you "know" how "they are" because you see just enough repeated characteristics to create a stereotype. And before you know it you're thinkng "Those damn [fill in racial/cultural group], they always. . . ."

I'm not proud of it, but I really don't think I'm different than most people in that regard. But I do think the first step to dealing with this more insidious "soft racism" is to acknowledge it, at least to oneself. To continuing harping on and on about how "I'm not racist" is silly and to be frank I'm automatically doubtful of people who feel the need to trumpet too loudly their lack of racism. Likewise to continue banging on that there is NO racism in the Tea Party is equally silly.

I guess that's why I liked the movie Crash (apologies to Irvine on that. . .believe it or not, but that was one of the first things I ever discussed in Interference with Irvine. . .it's been six years now! Wow! He was not pleased that Brokeback Mountain got passed over by the Academy in favor of Crash, and indeed with the passage of time and repeat viewings of Crash, I actually agree with him that Brokeback actually was better. Crash really was too hamhanded, but I digress. Despite it's obviousness, I did like it's basic premise about human nature).

I've never seen 'Crash', and only bits and pieces of 'Brokeback Mountain'. But yeah, I do remember the massive controversy around that.

Anywho, excellent post, Sean. Depending on where one lives and how much exposure they have to other people, stereotypes and racial/quasi-racial attitudes are very likely to spread.

I've lived in a lot of towns whose populations are almost completely white. Trust me. I know this. The town I live in now is probably the most diverse one. Either that or maybe the area of Colorado I lived in, 'cause a lot of people from other parts of the world came there during ski season. And even then that's not saying a whole lot. It's like when Obama made that comment a few years ago about small towns and people clinging to their guns and religion, and everyone got in a big ol' fuss about it.

Well, I lived in those small towns. And people got really outraged by his comments...only to then turn around and essentially prove him right.

You make some good points, Sean, but there's a difference between racism and prejudice. I think much of what you wrote is better described as prejudice. I know it sounds a bit like I'm just arguing semantics and I guess I am, but racism is much more nefarious. It's not unrealistic for someone to claim they aren't racist

take your Tea Party hate and your double standards to the Tea Party thread.

i know, i know ... Joe Biden said something stupid, therefore the entire Tea Party is vindicated.

Joe Biden was called out by *everyone* for that comment, as he should have been.

no GOP politician will dare say anything negative about the Tea Party.

I find it interesting that living in a diverse cultural environment doesn't in and of itself guarantee that racism will evaporate. I think any overcoming of racism has to be a conscious choice. It doesn't just happen by virtue of who you are surrounded by. At least that's my experience.

I've always been that trophy Black Friend, because I don't talk with a black accent, I'm you know well-spoken and clean cut, articulate, don't have "chip on my shoulder" I like U2 :wink: (I have to admit attending the last three U2 concerts has been one of the very few times when I've been consciously aware that I was in the utter minority. When there are 80,000 fans and it seems like there are exactly five black people there--including me--you notice! The first show was in Japan so that was a different story--I probably felt less out of place there. But I digress. I'm rambling a lot. Maybe I need to go to bed now.)

Growing up I had a few blatantly racist "friends" who were totally fine with me because I wasn't "like the rest of them." I was a "good one." I was actually told that. More than once.

You make some good points, Sean, but there's a difference between racism and prejudice. I think much of what you wrote is better described as prejudice. I know it sounds a bit like I'm just arguing semantics and I guess I am, but racism is much more nefarious. It's not unrealistic for someone to claim they aren't racist

i can appreciate this distinction. racism seems more active, whereas prejudice is more passive.

one reason i bang on about this is that part of my coming out process was coming to grips with my own internalized homophobia. i sometimes find myself thinking homophobic things despite being a homo myself. it's something we all do. and the best thing is to recognize it, call it out, realize that we're all guilty to some degree of these things, it's how our brains work. so we deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom