ESPN Fires Employee For Jeremy Lin Headline - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about using and believing in generalizations, not just being aware of them.
Who said I don't believe them to some extent?

Quote:

The Spanish girls example is not prejudice it's a preference.
Fine, juicy asses, if you want to get picky. It's hardly worth making a point of when I gave other examples. Besides, it would've been a prejudice based off of a preference
Quote:

But you don't think the Asian and Black prejudice come with resentment? Of course they do.
No, I dont. It's quite a generalization to say that every person who believes asians are smart or black guys have big dicks isn't smart or doesnt have a big dick themself.

Quote:
Then what do you think is behind prejudice; love and admiration?
If you can't see the difference between "The fucking Scots always get drunk and fight" and "The fucking jews are subhuman" then there's no getting through to you
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #107
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,681
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey

Who said I don't believe them to some extent?
Look back at how you worded it. They are all drunks, I'm aware the same stereotype is out there about me. If you believed it then you would have to say they are all drunks and we are all drunks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey

No, I dont. It's quite a generalization to say that every person who believes asians are smart or black guys have big dicks aren't smart or don't have big dicks themselves.
If you're brilliant in math then the only reason you would fall for such a prejudice is that you somehow believe they have some natural advantage over you, therefore it would be built upon resentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
If you can't see the difference between "The fucking Scots always get drunk and fight" and "The fucking jews are subhuman" then there's no getting through to you
They're both terrible, just one is worse than the other. Of course I see the difference, but both are built on resentment or hatred.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,907
Local Time: 05:05 PM
my Dad has a friend named Dick and when he introduced me, i said "oh, you look like a Dick" as in "you look like a George or Karen", not "you look like a penis".
__________________
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Look back at how you worded it. They are all drunks, I'm aware the same stereotype is out there about me. If you believed it then you would have to say they are all drunks and we are all drunks.
I believe that russians are heavy drinkers and I also believe that Irish/Scots are heavy drinkers.

Quote:
If you're brilliant in math then the only reason you would fall for such a prejudice is that you somehow believe they have some natural advantage over you, therefore it would be built upon resentment.
This is completely illogical. You don't have to have self esteem issues to believe in a stereotype.

Quote:
They're both terrible, just one is worse than the other. Of course I see the difference, but both are built on resentment or hatred.
I showed you prejudices that weren't based on resentment and hatred and you completely ignored them to make this statement. I'm not even saying prejudices can't be offensive. But painting everything with the racism brush cheapens the word for when it's used correctly
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #110
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,681
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
I believe that russians are heavy drinkers and I also believe that Irish/Scots are heavy drinkers.
And I know Russians and Scots that don't drink therefore dispelling this stereotype. So I have to wonder what it is about you that makes you believe every time you meet a Scot they're gonna be a drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
This is completely illogical. You don't have to have self esteem issues to believe in a stereotype.
Who said it always had to be based on self esteem issues? I think you're missing my point, my point is that if you truly believe in generalizations based solely on race then there is some underlying reason.

Why do you allow yourself to believe that every Asian excels in math?

Why do you allow yourself to think every Hispanic is lazy?

Even if the stereotype is positive, the reason you've allowed yourself to believe it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
I showed you prejudices that weren't based on resentment and hatred and you completely ignored them to make this statement. I'm not even saying prejudices can't be offensive. But painting everything with the racism brush cheapens the word for when it's used correctly
And shrugging off prejudices and why someone would generalize or lump one entire race into a behavior or trait is turning a blind eye and allowing racism to exist unchecked.

The idea that sexism, racism, etc only exist in the vacuum of blatant intent helps perpetuate its existence.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And I know Russians and Scots that don't drink therefore dispelling this stereotype. So I have to wonder what it is about you that makes you believe every time you meet a Scot they're gonna be a drunk.

I might say the say thing to a person who thinks that believing black guys have big dicks must come from a place of resentment.

You knowing Russians and Scots that don't drink has nothing to do with anything. Nobody said prejudices are 100% true; they're generalizations by definition. I really have no idea what you're arguing about anymore
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

And shrugging off prejudices and why someone would generalize or lump one entire race into a behavior or trait is turning a blind eye and allowing racism to exist unchecked.

The idea that sexism, racism, etc only exist in the vacuum of blatant intent helps perpetuate its existence.
It's not racism, its prejudice. I feel like you're regressing into writing tired, cliched arguments and blanket statements and not even discussing the points I'm making. It's probably a good time to put the conversation to bed
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #113
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,681
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
You knowing Russians and Scots that don't drink has nothing to do with anything. Nobody said prejudices are true. I really have no idea what you're arguing about anymore
I'm talking about those that allow themselves to believe and use prejudices. You say prejudices are not racist because not all judgements made on a race are founded on hatred. Right? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I'm saying prejudice is racism because any judgement based on someone's race is founded on some kind of lie, resentment, or feeling of superiority. And if you allow yourself to judge an entire race based on that, that is racism.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #114
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quick, someone find a gif of a man beating a dead horse.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,416
Local Time: 06:05 PM
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,881
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Dear Lord.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
i haven't read one goddamn headline about Lin, so yeah, i believe it. I dont live in NEW YORK CITY nor do i give two shits about the latest new york sports hysteria. I haven't watched ESPN since the playoffs, i dont watch late night tv, basically im what you New Yorkers might call "out of touch" here in the heartland, so sue me. Yes im aware of who he is because i do watch the nightly news (to get to know the enemy), but im afraid they haven't done any puns. What is there to pun about the guy? 30,000 times? Big fucking deal, another overpaid athlete who happens to be Chinese.
Don't know how overpaid he is by NBA standards, he was living on his brother's couch. He's not making Le Bron money. Yes now he lives in a Trump building, but maybe Trump's giving him a break on the rent. I loathe Le Bron James and the kind of athlete and teammate he is, so a guy like Jeremy Lin is a great story in my eyes. Has nothing to do with New York, they were just lucky enough to get him. I heard they came close to cutting him too. He'd be a fantastic story anywhere, but to me it's even more impressive that he's doing it such in a high pressure place.

The guy had to put up with racist taunts even in college, and even from Ivy League people. Geez, can you imagine. Even "Ivy Leaguers" resort to that kind of thing. We don't need that in sports or anywhere else. The n word isn't considered appropriate, so we don't need chink either.

I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he didn't do it intentionally, but the cynical side of me lets other thoughts creep in. It's sad that a guy's movie like story of perseverance and seizing an opportunity is surrounded by crap like this.

I don't know what you or others are so angry about, but whatever...If it's just going to be angry ranting and petty getting personal crap and contests of fill-in-the-blank then please lock it.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
The n word isn't considered appropriate, so we don't need chink either.
I find this to be intersting
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,881
Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Don't know how overpaid he is by NBA standards, he was living on his brother's couch. He's not making Le Bron money. Yes now he lives in a Trump building, but maybe Trump's giving him a break on the rent. I loathe Le Bron James and the kind of athlete and teammate he is, so a guy like Jeremy Lin is a great story in my eyes. Has nothing to do with New York, they were just lucky enough to get him. I heard they came close to cutting him too. He'd be a fantastic story anywhere, but to me it's even more impressive that he's doing it such in a high pressure place.

The guy had to put up with racist taunts even in college, and even from Ivy League people. Geez, can you imagine. Even "Ivy Leaguers" resort to that kind of thing. We don't need that in sports or anywhere else. The n word isn't considered appropriate, so we don't need chink either.

I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he didn't do it intentionally, but the cynical side of me lets other thoughts creep in. It's sad that a guy's movie like story of perseverance and seizing an opportunity is surrounded by crap like this.

I don't know what you or others are so angry about, but whatever...If it's just going to be angry ranting and petty getting personal crap and contests of fill-in-the-blank then please lock it.
He's not overpaid by NBA standards, but he was living on his brother's couch because New York had not yet reached the point in the season where they were required to pay his full contract. They still had a couple of weeks before they were locked in. They could have cut him at some point and he would have simply gotten the prorated amount based on how much time he was on the roster.

And yes, Jive's right, it is a bit interesting that we are more comfortable saying chink than we are nigger.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 05:05 PM
It's not as interesting as indicative of the trained meaningless behavior of political correctness.
__________________

__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com