ESPN Fires Employee For Jeremy Lin Headline - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Oh, insincere that way. It's insincere as an apology because it's not "I'm sorry I did this," but "sorry you don't think I'm funny."

Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Because he probably still thinks it was funny
Quote:
I get Linsanity. I've cried watching Tiger Woods win a major golf championship. Jeremy Lin, for now, is the Tiger Woods of the NBA. I suspect Lin makes Asian Americans feel the way I feel when I watch Tiger play golf.

I should've realized that Friday night when I watched Lin torch the Lakers. For Asian Americans and a lot of sports fans, his nationally televised 38-point outburst was the equivalent of Tiger's first victory in The Masters. I got caught up in the excitement. I tweeted about what a great story Lin is and how he could rival Tim Tebow.

I then gave in to another part of my personality - my immature, sophomoric, comedic nature. It's been with me since birth, a gift from my mother and honed as a child listening to my godmother's Richard Pryor albums. I still want to be a standup comedian.

The couple-inches-of-pain tweet overshadowed my sincere celebration of Lin's performance and the irony that the stereotype applies to pot-bellied, overweight male sports writers, too. As the Asian American Journalist Association pointed out, I debased a feel-good sports moment. For that, I'm truly sorry.
"I'm sorry, it's really Richard Pryor's fault."

Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Oh, insincere that way.
Yes. I started to realize that we might've been referring to different aspects of the apology

Quote:
It's insincere as an apology because it's not "I'm sorry I did this," but "sorry you don't think I'm funny."
I can get behind that.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:02 PM
I am one of the first to rail against political correctness and the hyper-sensitivity but if you don't think "chink in the armor" is racist in that context, you need to check yourself.

Two things that bothered me.
1. A headline writer gets fired and an anchor gets suspended for essentially the same thing.
2. The sheer stupidity of Jason Whitlock is well known to most sports fans, but his comment about Tiger Woods "Jeremy Lin, for now, is the Tiger Woods of the NBA. I suspect Lin makes Asian Americans feel the way I feel when I watch Tiger play golf." Whitlock doesn't even as much acknowledge the irony of Tiger being 1/2 Asian as well. Knowing Whitlock (and his general ignorance and attitude) he probably doesn't think it 'counts'.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
"I'm sorry, it's really Richard Pryor's fault."
He does sound like a douche. I'm not defending what he said, I just don't like when people apologize when it's clearly obvious they don't mean it and are just appeasing the public.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
Whitlock doesn't even as much acknowledge the irony of Tiger being 1/2 Asian as well. Wow.
I was thinking the same thing.

Then I thought about the Dave Chappelle race draft episode.

Then I laughed.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:02 PM
I thought of that sketch too.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

^ That actually raises and interesting point though. Personally, I think that kind of humour is hilarious and harmless when everyone gets the same rough treatment. Why is it ok for Dave Chappelle or David Cross or whoever to have fun with race, but it's not ok for a sports writer to tweet basically the same style? Is it like saying 'fuck' at Christmas dinner?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Because some people are comedians, other people are sports writers.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I hesitate to even step in here

this is one of those topics, that the more one the conversation goes on, the more stupid the comments become.

so here is my addition

I don't care about any of these guys that get fired or suspended, good for them, these are only self-inflicted consequences of their own actions.

tweeters and facebookers deserve all the blowback they get for any ignorant postings they make.

if you are watching a game with a 'bunch of your bros' and you make a remark about a "chink in the armor' (get it, ha ha) or 'two inches of pain' or 'slap the ish' out of that guy, who cares?
Either they know you are making stupid bigoted jokes, and you may even be making fun of yourself by acting like an ass, playing to stereotypes or
your 'bros' hi-five' you because they are members of your opt-in stupid guys club.

If you are employed by a private company and are well-known because of that employment and you post these things for millions of people to see, and that can and will reflect on your employer and their bottom line. Then, because of your own actions you have put yourself in a position to be let go.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
He does sound like a douche. I'm not defending what he said, I just don't like when people apologize when it's clearly obvious they don't mean it and are just appeasing the public.
I don't either. But he's pretending to apologize, when if you read what he's saying, he's not really even apologizing. It's a different way of appeasing the public. Officially, people will report that he apologized. In reality, he just thinks everyone is being too hard on him and his poor, hilarious mother, and he's only sorry that people made a big deal out of it.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
^ That actually raises and interesting point though. Personally, I think that kind of humour is hilarious and harmless when everyone gets the same rough treatment. Why is it ok for Dave Chappelle or David Cross or whoever to have fun with race, but it's not ok for a sports writer to tweet basically the same style? Is it like saying 'fuck' at Christmas dinner?

right because we are all exactly the same and have equally been discriminated against because of our background, race, sex, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Because some people are comedians, other people are sports writers.
That was what I meant by the Christmas dinner comment
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

When I first read this I thought it could easily be one of those completely unintentional things and what surprised me more is that it got published, so I assumed it got past at least one or two people and NOBODY noticed it was offensive? Maybe I work in an industry where we obsess over every "the" and every comma so it's unimaginable to think something like that would slip by.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
right because we are all exactly the same and have equally been discriminated against because of our background, race, sex, etc.
How does this address what I asked at all? Did you even read the whole thing? Or did you just glance at it and read "why can black people make fun of whites, but not the other way around?"? Because that's what you responded to