End Taxpayer Support of NPR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The swirling toilet of American Public Life gained another floater this morning as NPR announced the immediate resignation of CEO Vivian Schiller — no relation to NPR executive Ron Schiller, who was secretly videotaped giving an accurate description of the Tea Party people and already left NPR. Again, this is because Ron Schiller said the Tea Party people are scary racists. (Tea Party people are scary racists.) If you’re getting a Shirley Sherrod deja vu thing about now, prepare to have this feeling every couple of weeks for the rest of your life (or, until you leave this dumb country forever), because this is America in 2011: a crumbling nation of fat slobs who ignore their kleptocrat kings and instead point their corn-dog fingers at Scary Mooslims and the “Kenyan president” and then get their little racist feelings hurt when anybody says, “Hey, look at those racist clowns.”

Tea Party Racists Will All Start Listening To NPR Now

^:lol:

...well, for a little while, then :angry:

Juan Williams says NPR is an "all-white organization" that exhibited the "worst of white condescension" in its handling of his firing last year.

In an interview with The Huffington Post, conducted before the most recent controversy surrounding an NPR executive's comments about the tea party (and CEO Vivian Schiller's ousting), Williams blasted the organization for its treatment of him.

"I think when it comes to NPR's decision to, without any reason, throw me out the door, I think that for them, especially for some of the people who created NPR, it's an all-white operation," Williams said. He added that he thought NPR "felt they had never had much success" with black or Hispanic journalists, and that they had had "more success with white women."

Williams was terminated from the organization in October following comments on Fox News that he gets "nervous" when he sees Muslims on a plane. NPR was roundly criticized for its handling of the situation--an independent review "expressed concern over [Schiller's] role in the termination process" and stripped her of her 2010 bonus.

"What you see is there a real reluctance to, despite 10 years of success...deal with me as a journalist," Williams said. "For them, I think the fact that I was a journalist who was not being pigeonholed as just a black journalist, but something larger and sometimes even conservative in a point of view, made them have great difficulty with me."

At the time, Schiller said that Williams should have kept his remarks to "his psychiatrist or his publicist," a comment she would later apologize for.

"I think they acted very unfairly, and largely in a condescending manner," Williams said of NPR's handling of the situation. "If you stop and think about some of the things that were said in the midst of that controversy, the idea that I should have a relationship with a psychiatrist or that I need a publicist to tell me what to say. It just suggests to my mind that they think that I was some sort of infantile mentality, or childlike person."

"I think the worst of white condescension to black people was evident in some of those comments," he said.

i for one am shocked. shocked!

NPR: O'Keefe 'Inappropriately Edited' Video; Exec's Words Still 'Egregious'

March 14, 2011

by Mark Memmott

An update on our post from Sunday about the questions that have been raised regarding conservative political activist James O'Keefe's editing of his secretly recorded video of then-NPR chief fundraiser Ron Schiller slamming conservatives.

NPR's David Folkenflik has done more reporting on the differences between the 11 1/2 minute video that O'Keefe's Project Veritas produced and the two hours worth of video that O'Keefe says is the largely unedited account of a lunch that Schiller and another NPR fundraising executive had with two men posing as representatives of a Muslim group that wanted to donate $5 million to NPR.

Al Tompkins, a senior faculty member for broadcasting and online at the Poynter Institute, says to David that he tells his children there are "two ways to lie. One is to tell me something that didn't happen. And the other is not to tell me something that did happen." After comparing O'Keefe's edited tape to the longer version, "I think that they employed both techniques in this," Tompkins says.

One "big warning flag" Tompkins saw in the shorter tape was the way it made it appear that Schiller had laughed and commented "really, that's what they said?" after being told that the fake Muslim group advocates for sharia law. In fact, the longer tape shows that Schiller made that comment during an "innocuous exchange" that had nothing to do with the supposed group's position on sharia law, David reports.

Tompkins also says that O'Keefe's edited tape ignores the fact that Schiller said "six times ... over and over and over again" that donors cannot buy the kind of coverage they want on NPR.

Scott Baker, editor in chief of the conservative news site The Blaze, tells David that after watching the two-hour video he came away with the impression that the NPR executives "seem to be fairly balanced people."

NPR spokeswoman Dana Davis Rehm told David late yesterday that O'Keefe "inappropriately edited the videos with an intent to discredit" NPR. Still, she added, Schiller made some "egregious statements."

As we said yesterday, those included Schiller calling the Tea Party a "weird evangelical" movement that has helped push the "current Republican Party" to become "fanatically involved in people's personal lives."

As Time magazine's James Poniewozik writes at his Tuned In blog, "the close-up look [at the longer tape] doesn't let the executive, Ron Schiller, off the hook. But it shows O'Keefe edited the short version of his video to fit his anti-NPR agenda. Explaining why both things can be true at once requires, well, a lot of context."

Before the videos were released last Tuesday, Schiller had already announced he was leaving NPR. After their release, he apologized for his statements and said he was resigning immediately. The next day, NPR's board ousted CEO/President Vivian Schiller (no relation to Ron) because it felt she could no longer effectively lead the organization due to the distractions of this controversy and last year's dismissal of news analyst Juan Williams.

NPR: O'Keefe 'Inappropriately Edited' Video; Exec's Words Still 'Egregious' : The Two-Way : NPR

and, believe it or not, a Glen Beck website does an even more detailed takedown: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/does-raw-video-of-npr-expose-reveal-questionable-editing-tactics/

"As we said yesterday, those included Schiller calling the Tea Party a "weird evangelical" movement that has helped push the "current Republican Party" to become "fanatically involved in people's personal lives."

The Tea Party is about being invasive in our personal lives?

And taking away our freedoms?

I would like to know.

"As we said yesterday, those included Schiller calling the Tea Party a "weird evangelical" movement that has helped push the "current Republican Party" to become "fanatically involved in people's personal lives."

The Tea Party is about being invasive in our personal lives?

And taking away our freedoms?

I would like to know.

You should start doing some more reading...

The Tea Party is about invading and taking away the personal freedoms THEY don't seem fit.

You won't address this, but at least quit pretending you don't know this.

It is worth pointing out in the interest of fairness and disclosure:

Flint Hills Resources supports Minnesota Public Radio.

(Flint Hills Resources = Koch Brothers' company) :up: :huh:

NPR's On The Media interview with James O'Keefe about the whole controversey:

On The Media: Transcript of "James O'Keefe" (March 18, 2011)

May I just point out that this is the type of long-form journalistic reporting you don't receive in the "MSM", whether your mainstream media is MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, right-wing syndicated call-in talk radio, or your local 10W40 Traffic on the Twos News Radio Morning Zoo Blast.

You should start doing some more reading...

The Tea Party is about invading and taking away the personal freedoms THEY don't seem fit.

You won't address this, but at least quit pretending you don't know this.

And while we are trying to cut the federal government, let's do away with the Department of Education.

That's a wasteful joke.

Yes we should let you teach without standards so that you could tell your students all your lies about the Civil War... that sounds like a great plan.

No thanks.

Yes we should let you teach without standards so that you could tell your students all your lies about the Civil War... that sounds like a great plan.

No thanks.
Humorously, I've read a few arguments from the "fuck the South" side of the argument basically saying fine:
  • Get rid of national education standards, eliminate the Dept. of Education, let local school boards buy their wacky edited, Jefferson-shunning, Civil War-distorting, 'family values' textbooks
  • Let conservative, rural, or poor school districts teach kids that everything was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster while they limit 'hard' science education (magnets, how do they work?)
  • Let conservative, rural, or poor school districts teach abstinence-only education, let their teenage daughters get knocked up at 16 and take their legs out from under them before getting a full education or work experience
  • Kids graduating from these high schools will be progressively less-prepared for college-level studies
  • Decent colleges will stop admitting these dumbasses that have the misfortune of having dumbass adults running their school boards
  • The South is fucked
Not really a plan, but I thought the slow burn self-destructive idea was pretty funny :lol:

Then again, my vision of a "more perfect union" is the Northeast+Midwest being the United States, Florida and the rest of the South being a 2nd-tier nation, Texas being its own country, and Cali + Pacific Northwest being its own economic powerhouse (with a budget crisis).

Back
Top Bottom