End Taxpayer Support of NPR? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I don't understand why the federal government should use tax payers money to fund a radio station.
And I don't understand why the federal government used tax payer money on nation building, but my example costs more than $1.35 per person.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
I don't understand why the federal government should use tax payers money to fund a radio station.
It's a fair point, and everyone has his own opinion as to how the tax payer money pie is divided.

I think the main issue is that the amount of federal spending going towards NPR is minuscule, and defunding NPR appears to be a political move by Republicans to dump something they don't like or don't believe in, rather than being for the benefit of substantially reducing the deficit.

As someone who has expressed libertarian political leanings, I'm sure you can see the hypocrisy in trying to defund public radio, Planned Parenthood, etc, while at the same time ignoring defence spending and entitlement programs.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:37 PM
This sort of stuff always reminds me of the West Wing episode about the National Endowment for the Arts.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
This sort of stuff always reminds me of the West Wing episode about the National Endowment for the Arts.

yes.

and an informed citizenry is a public good. NPR is supposed to inform the public, and it does it way, way, way better than any of the networks or, god forbid, cable news.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

The West Wing is the moderate liberal's wet dream of U.S. government.

I think I am getting a bit moist thinking about it even now.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I've been mulling this issue over for the past few days and I'm formulating my own defense of why perhaps funding shouldn't be cut. It will probably be along the lines of this.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Slate, Mar. 8
Quote:
After unsuccessfully trying to "punk" a CNN reporter last year, conservative filmmaker James O'Keefe finally hit a new target: two NPR executives. In a video released Tuesday morning, Ron Schiller, an NPR senior executive, and Betsy Liley, NPR's director of institutional giving, are caught on tape complaining about Tea Partiers and fielding polarizing questions from two men posing as members of a fake Muslim organization. Schiller and Liley met with the men to discuss a potential $5 million donation, and throughout lunch at a Georgetown café are baited with questions about NPR's political leanings. An O'Keefe operative calling himself Ibrahim Kasaam says that the fake Muslim Education Action Center (MEAC) "was originally founded by a few members of the Muslim Brotherhood in America," then jokes that he calls NPR "National Palestinian Radio," because of its affinity with the Palestinian cause. Most of the comments fail to get a rise out of Schiller, though as highlighted on the conservative Daily Caller, he gave filmmakers their money quote when discussing the Tea Party.
Quote:
The Schiller quotes most relevant to the current discussion over funding cuts would seem to be his comments on what would happen if the government cut NPR off:
Republicans play off the belief among the general population that most of our funding comes from the government. Very little of our funding comes from the government, but they act as if all our funding comes from the government...it is very clear that in the long run we would be better off without federal funding. And the challenge right now is that if we lost it altogether, we'd have a lot of stations go dark.
The quotes you'll probably hear more about--Schiller musing about why this Muslim group might have so many gripes with conservatives:
SCHILLER: The current Republican Party, particularly the Tea Party, is fanatically involved in people's personal lives and very fundamental Christian--and I wouldn't even call it Christian. It's this weird evangelical kind of move...it's been hijacked by this group that...
"MUSLIM": The radical, racist, Islamophobic, Tea Party people?
SCHILLER: It's not just Islamophobic, but really xenophobic. Basically, they believe in white, middle America, gun-toting--it's pretty scary. They're seriously racist, racist people.
And on the firing of Juan Williams:
What NPR did I'm very proud of. What NPR stood for is a non-racist, non-bigoted, straightforward telling of the news. Our feeling is that if a person expresses his or her personal opinion, which anyone is entitled to do in a free society, they are compromised as a journalist. They can no longer fairly report. And the question we asked internally was, can Juan Williams, when he makes a statement like that, can he report to the Muslim population, and be believed, for example? And the answer is no. He lost all credibility and that breaks your ethics as a journalist.
Unfortunately for the stingers, Schiller had just announced he's leaving NPR for the Aspen Institute.

Schiller is a professional fundraiser, not a journalist. His pandering to the group is actually sort of masterful. I've asked NPR about the editorial line he assigns to the network and will update when I get a response.

UPDATE: Here's the statement from Dana Davis Rehm, senior VP of Marketing, Communications & External Relations at NPR.
The fraudulent organization represented in this video repeatedly pressed us to accept a $5 million check, with no strings attached, which we repeatedly refused to accept.

We are appalled by the comments made by Ron Schiller in the video, which are contrary to what NPR stands for.

Mr. Schiller announced last week that he is leaving NPR for another job.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Schiller is a professional fundraiser, not a journalist.

what's the story here?

looks like another hand-wringing overreaction from NPR. at least these so-called "liberals" are actually concerned with trying to present real, hard, unbiased news and worry about what other people say about them and take steps to self-correct.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Well, that was my reaction too, but in all likelihood this will get played as suggestive supporting evidence for alleged bias in coverage, particularly where public funding is concerned.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Well, that was my reaction too, but in all likelihood this will get played as suggestive supporting evidence for alleged bias in coverage, particularly where public funding is concerned.

agreed on that.

i believe that Schiller even said "let me take off my NPR hat" or something to that effect before he talked about the notion that the tea party was xenophobic.

and he's a fundraiser. not a journalist, a fundraiser.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

When Obama wants to cut heating assistance and people are facing possibly freezing to death in their homes-no, I don't think the US govt should be funding NPR or many other comparatively frivilous things. However small the monetary amount is, the impression created for me=bad. It's time to start cutting all wasteful spending that can possibly be cut. Before food, clothing, and shelter-and HEAT. That's what individuals and families do.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It already has today on the am talk shows. They treating it like another acorn expose story... GOTCHA!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Not to say everyone who works in marketing is a horrible person, but...
Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:37 AM
It seems to me this O' Keefe guy should probably start finding something else to do with his time.

Angela
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

not that this helps the discussion, but sometimes i find Wonkette gives cathartic release to the thoughts in my head:

Quote:
The swirling toilet of American Public Life gained another floater this morning as NPR announced the immediate resignation of CEO Vivian Schiller — no relation to NPR executive Ron Schiller, who was secretly videotaped giving an accurate description of the Tea Party people and already left NPR. Again, this is because Ron Schiller said the Tea Party people are scary racists. (Tea Party people are scary racists.) If you’re getting a Shirley Sherrod deja vu thing about now, prepare to have this feeling every couple of weeks for the rest of your life (or, until you leave this dumb country forever), because this is America in 2011: a crumbling nation of fat slobs who ignore their kleptocrat kings and instead point their corn-dog fingers at Scary Mooslims and the “Kenyan president” and then get their little racist feelings hurt when anybody says, “Hey, look at those racist clowns.”

Tea Party Racists Will All Start Listening To NPR Now