Election Day night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:angry:
wishes I coulD afford interent @ home, then I could be listening to Air America on thre radio or streaming it, watching TV, AND chatting with you all! BAH!

I'm trying to see if my sis wants t go with me to one of the bars/clubs that are that are having free election coverage. We've volunterered and marched at different times over the decades for different campaigns and causes.

I know I just do NOT want to be home with the cranky roomate, and the other nice one doesn't follow it that closely.

Things didn't work out for me doing volunteer work for the 'Bama campaign tho I am doing phone banking tomorrow. SO I don't think - if they even do have a hotel gathering bash - I'd be allowed to go.

I also have made my own signs on the puter, and are putting them up in my nabe and other neighborhoods.

I've put then up in '04 & '06 as well, but this is the first time I'm putting them elsewhere, too. Put up a few tonight. :wink:

To get at least one more person to go & vote, and since some of my signs are strictly GOTV for the Dems I ask peeps to get their friends & fams across the country to vote too!

I was at the GRAND ALLROOM IN '92 Sheraton Hotel where I had helped decorate it for B CLinton's Election Night>> since I'd worked on that campaign for a bunch of weeks, and I'd done hand lettered posters for rallies as well as officy type campaign stuff...........

It 's in my Top 10 list of my WOWEST experiences! It was *amazing*!!!

Hopefully CHhcago will be ***ROCKING*** Tues night!!!

and THANKS VP for the :cute: colorful :wink: and USEFUL polls closing times chart! I'll print it out tues afternoon at art! :D :yes:

My work is hosting election night for one of the candidates so I'll be there working. I probably won't see anything but I'll be there. It's a one in a lifetime experience so I'm really looking forward to Tuesday night.

I have two invitations

this one sounds like more fun

Join fellow Democrats For The Party Of The Year! Democrats from all over the Orange County will be coming together for the party’s official Election Night Party! Sutra Lounge, 1870 Harbor Blvd. (in the Triangle Square), Costa Mesa, CA 92627.

Special guest, Emmy winning actress Patricia Arquette.

Take a walk down our red-carpet media walk, enjoy great food and drinks, and celebrate a historical night with fellow Democrats!
We’ll have live music, a DJ, over 10 plasma TV’s, 2 large screens, local elected officials and candidates, and more.

than this one :yawn:

ElectionPartyVictory2008.jpg

I really want to see what a bunch of drunken, depressed Republicans will do if McCain eats it tomorrow night. I say go for that one. It'll probably end up being far more entertaining.:lol:

I really want to see what a bunch of drunken, depressed Republicans will do if McCain eats it tomorrow night. I say go for that one. It'll probably end up being far more entertaining.:lol:

I went to that one in 1996

The GOP V P Nominee Jack Kemp, gave his concession speech for national T V there.

I had VIP passes, so I was up front standing next to Bo Derek and her late husband John. (leather jacket and cowboy hat) Michael Huffington (Ariana's gay ex-husband was there, too.)

I got passes for both parties, I may end up doing both.

Are you kidding? When there's all this liberal biased media to blame for the loss?

Not a chance.

Besides, I think deep down Hannity isn't even all that excited for McCain. I mean, this is a guy who's crossed the aisle and worked with Democrats, after all. Not a true believer.

It will be Wednesday morning here in Saipan, so I'll be in the classroom throughout Tuesday afternoon and early evening. I'll probably following the results mostly here on Interference.

I've thought of taking Wed. morning off, depending on how late it will go.

My boss has a t.v. in his office so I'll be spending time in there, checking out the exit polls throughout the day...

Yes, you can bet Hannity will say that McCain lost because he wasn’t far right enough (he’ll say ‘conservative’ though). That McCain should have followed Palin over there to the moronic guns’n’god base (he’ll say ‘those who love freedom and liberty’). That America was deserted by McCain’s campaign and fooled by Obama’s. Then he and others like him will go and fire up the angry anti-Obama industry (he’ll call it ‘America first’) and for 4-8 years make a shitload of cash of a lot of very stupid people (he’ll call them ‘patriots’).

I'm going to be working at my local polling place until all the results are tallied. My guess is I'll be there until about 10:30 pm, if not later. I'll probably sneak into the nearby ladies' room and call my mom that evening so she can give me an idea of what's happening out there.

I got a DVR just so I can record MSNBC's coverage. If things go as I hope, I'll want to take a look at it within the next couple of days. I'm only working three hours on Wednesday, and am off on Thursday, so I'll be able to celebrate or stay in bed with the covers over my head, depending on what happens.

I'm sooooooooooo nervous about tomorrow's outcome. It's only everything!!!!

YES WE CAN...SI SE PUEDE!!!!!

Yes, you can bet Hannity will say that McCain lost because he wasn’t far right enough (he’ll say ‘conservative’ though). That McCain should have followed Palin over there to the moronic guns’n’god base (he’ll say ‘those who love freedom and liberty’). That America was deserted by McCain’s campaign and fooled by Obama’s. Then he and others like him will go and fire up the angry anti-Obama industry (he’ll call it ‘America first’) and for 4-8 years make a shitload of cash of a lot of very stupid people (he’ll call them ‘patriots’).

Pretty astute analysis, I'd say.

What To Watch For: An Hour-By-Hour Guide To Election Night

Nate Silver
Newsweek Web Exclusive, Nov 3

In 2000 and 2004, the outcome of the presidential race was unknown into the wee hours of the morning (and indeed for several weeks thereafter in 2000). This time, it is possible that we will be able to guess the winner of the presidential race relatively early in the evening. Regardless, there will be plenty to watch Tuesday night, particularly for those who can appreciate a good slugfest in the Senate. And lest we count John McCain out, we need only remember the polling disasters that befell states like New Hampshire in this year's primaries. Here, then, is what I will be watching each hour on election night.

6 PM EST. Polls close in portions of Indiana and Kentucky. Traditionally, these are the first states to get called by the networks, spotting the Republicans a quick 19 points in the Electoral College. This year, however, is liable to be a little bit different. Indiana is far more competitive than usual, and is probably the state with the greatest disparity in ground games: the Obama campaign has 42 field offices open there, whereas McCain neglected the state entirely until recently. The responsible thing to do would be for the networks to hold off until at least 7 PM to project Indiana, when polls have closed in Gary and the northwestern part of the state just across the border from Chicago—where Obama hopes to rack up huge margins among black and working-class voters. If for some reason the state is called before 7 PM for John McCain, that probably means we're in for a long night. If, on the other hand, the state is called for Obama in the first hour after the polls close, that could indicate that the force of Obama's field operation has been underestimated, and that McCain is in for a catastrophically poor evening. (Speaking of which, Indiana's equivalent on the Senate side of things might in fact be Kentucky, where Mitch McConnell remains the favorite but where he could be vulnerable in the event of an anti-incumbent wave.)

7 PM EST. Polls close in Virginia and Georgia, as well as most of Florida and most of New Hampshire. Virginia, for my money, is the most important state in this election. If John McCain loses it, his path to victory is exceptionally narrow—he would need to pull out an upset in Pennsylvania, while holding on to Florida and Ohio, and avoiding a sweep out West. Barack Obama has considerably more ways to win without Virginia, but a failure to close out the state would suggest at best a more circuitous route to victory. As Obama remains about five points ahead in most polls of Virginia, what we're really looking for is a quick call on anything before 8 PM that would indicate that the map has indeed changed from 2004, and not in McCain's favor.

Georgia and New Hampshire are a bit less essential electorally, but they may tell us the most about whether the polls are off in this election. If there's one state where Obama is likely to overperform his polls, it's in Georgia, where 35% of early voters are African-American, and where almost 30% of them did not vote in 2004. These are the sorts of voters that may erroneously be screened out by "likely voter" models that rely on past voting history. Obama could not only carry the state, but he might help boost Jim Martin to victory in the U.S. Senate race there—giving the Democrats a plausible path to a 60-seat caucus.

On the other hand, if there is any state where the polls might overestimate Obama's numbers, it's in New Hampshire, where nearly the entirely electorate is white and where Obama was famously upset by Hillary Clinton during the primaries. If McCain holds Obama to within about five points in New Hampshire—closer than any current polls—we may need to be worried about some sort of Bradley Effect.

7:30 PM EST. Polls close in Ohio and North Carolina. The dynamic to look for in these states involves early voting: more than twice as many people have voted early in North Carolina as did in 2004, and nearly three times as many in Cuyahoga County (Cleveland), Ohio. Recent polling indicates that Obama may have a lead of 20-30 points among early voters in Ohio and a 10-20 point lead in North Carolina. If Republican turnout is at all depressed on Election Day—because of anything from bad weather to low morale—that may be too large a deficit for McCain to make up.

8 PM EST. Polls close in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Missouri. Use caution when interpreting the results from these three states; Missouri in particular is notorious for nearly having been called prematurely both in the 2006 senate race and in this year's Democratic primary. In each state, Barack Obama will rack up huge vote totals in the cities (Philadelphia, Detroit and St. Louis respectively) while trying to hold his own in the rest of the state. If the city numbers come in first, Obama's margins will be exaggerated. If the rural numbers come in first, Obama's prospects will be much better than they appear.

But Pennsylvania in particular is the one to watch. If Barack Obama holds onto Pennsylvania—the only state where John McCain seems to have been closing the gap over the last week of the campaign—then winning virtually any red state (Virginia, Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Missouri) would probably clinch the election for him.

9 PM EST. Polls close in Colorado, New Mexico, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Wisconsin and Minnesota should be called fairly quickly for Obama; if they aren't, that's a sign that something has gone truly wrong for the Democratic ticket. New Mexico looks like a safe Obama-state too, but since its vote-counting is notoriously slow, it may take longer to call. The key number to watch in Minnesota should be the difference between Obama's margin of victory and Al Franken's tally in his Senate race against Norm Coleman. If Franken is staying within 5-7 points of Obama as the vote begins to roll in—say, for example, Franken leads by 2 while Obama leads by 7—then Obama's coattails should carry Franken into the Senate. If not, the race may be Norm Coleman's to lose.

Colorado, meanwhile, is the last of what I'd characterize as this year's "Big Three" states (the others are Pennsylvania and Virginia). If Pennsylvania and Virginia have split their votes (and Obama hasn't picked up Ohio or Florida), then Obama probably wins if he wins Colorado, and loses if he doesn't.

10 PM EST. Polls close in Nevada, Iowa, Montana and New York. This is the earliest point at which the race might be officially called for Barack Obama—there just aren't enough electoral votes out there, even if he's swept every swing state, to get him to 270 until New York's 31 come in. But assuming that we don't know the outcome of the election by this time, Nevada, where Obama has expanded his lead and where much of the state has already voted, could be Obama's ace in the hole—possibly offsetting a loss in Pennsylvania if paired with other pickups like Colorado and Virginia. The key area to watch in Nevada is Washoe County (Reno), which John Kerry lost by 4 points in 2004 but where the Obama campaign has registered thousands of new voters. If Obama wins Washoe, that means the state—and probably the country—is his.

11 PM EST. Polls close in California, Oregon and Washington. None of these states are in play in the presidential contest this year. The status of the race, however, could have a potential impact on California's Proposition 8, which seeks to strike down same-sex marriage. If Obama appears as though he's headed toward a landslide victory, crestfallen conservatives might not bother heading for the polls to vote for Prop 8.

Finally, even if the presidential race has been called by that point, Democrats looking for a little schadenfreude may want to stay up late until the midnight poll close in Alaska, where Ted Stevens is almost certain to be bounced from his Senate seat by Democratic challenger Mark Begich. Should the Democrats pull out an upset in Georgia or Kentucky, it may be Stevens' seat that gets them over the top to a 60-man majority.

Nate Silver is the creator of FiveThirtyEight.com, a popular political blog.

:up: Great thread. I've got lots of things on my agenda today. Voted by mail but I'm driving a couple people to polls so they can vote and doing some phone work for my candidate and a few Calif propositions. Signed up too late to work the polls this time but I'm on a standyby list to work my neighborhood polling place. My son will vote for the first time this election and is coming from his college 40 miles away to vote in our neighborhood (his mail still comes to the house) and he then wants to have dinner to "celebrate". He's very excited about the opportunity to vote. I'm braced for a long long day but it should be well worth it.

Tell all your friends, family, co workers, neighbors, associates, etc. to get out and VOTE!

I still have bad memories of 2004, so I hesitate to feel any optimism this time around.

If McCain wins, well, at least I'm moving to Canada soon. I'm just not sure I can stomach watching the GOP destroy America completely.

Virginia's polls close at 4 PM PST. The election can be called hours before it closes on the west coast. If Obama wins Virgina, he's in. Kerry states + Iowa + Virginia = election over before it ends. :hmm:

The world is watching -

91% of the German students (if you could vote, who would you decide for) are for Obama.

At the shop opposite my flat where they sell bongs and rizla, the smokers discuss
smokin1.gif

Since we know who's going to win, instead of election coverage I think we'll watch movies like;

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Soylent Green
Escape From New York
Omen III: The Final Conflict

You know, enjoy them one last time as works of fiction.

Since we know who's going to win, instead of election coverage I think we'll watch movies like;

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Soylent Green
Escape From New York
Omen III: The Final Conflict

You know, enjoy them one last time as works of fiction.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom