Editor in Chief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliEnvy

Refugee
CANOE -- JAM! Music: Bono, Geldof to guest edit Globe

TORONTO — Extra, Extra! — Bono and Bob Geldof are set to guest-edit the Globe and Mail.

The rock stars/activists will assist with the May 10th :bonodrum:edition of the newspaper.

A special section will be devoted to “Emerging Africa,” a topic that is close to both men.

The paper is inviting readers to send video questions for Bono and Geldof, with select submissions to be answered online during the month of May.

This is the first time they have edited a North American newspaper.

Bono, the lead singer for U2, has previously guested at The Independent.

“I’m a huge fan of great journalism — I can’t wait to show up for work at the Globe,” Bono said in a statement. “Our aim in this special edition is to crack down on a few stereotypes and showcase the opportunities surrounding the African continent, not just the problems.”

Geldof noted the eyes of the world would be on Canada this June when the country hosts the G8 and G20 conventions.

He also recalled his days working at the weekly Georgia Straight newspaper in Vancouver before he shot to fame with the Boomtown Rats.

“The Globe and Mail, one of the world’s great papers of record, has, in a mad rush of blood to the head, agreed to let two Irish pop singers edit their august journal for one special day, one special edition,” Geldof said in a statement.

“I’ve gone from being an old editor of the Vancouver Georgia Straight to the new editor of the Globe and Mail and it’s only taken 36 years! Now that’s a career trajectory.”

Bono is the co-founder of the “One” organization, dedicated to fighting poverty and disease, particularly in Africa.

Geldof’s interest in Africa dates back to the 1980s when he gathered a group of musicians together to record “Do They Know It’s Christmas” to raise money for African famine relief.

Ha! Wasn't expecting he'd actually be in Toronto to do it. This was taken today...

Mark, if you weren't so crazy cool you'd be on the stalker list...love it!!!

31622_10150184787730447_512545446_12307438_3203448_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom