Ebola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is anyone else having trouble taking a thread started by "Sr. Poop" seriously?

Sr. Poop has the least serious title but is really the most serious person... He's a heavy mother.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

CDC predicts 1.4 million infected by 2015.

Scared yet?

CDC predicts 1.4 million infected by 2015.

Scared yet?

I am not because here in the West we have the resources to deal with Ebola (which doesn't spread easily). In Africa, they don't have the resources to deal with it, which is why this outbreak has been so bad and will continue to get worse.

I am not because here in the West we have the resources to deal with Ebola (which doesn't spread easily). In Africa, they don't have the resources to deal with it, which is why this outbreak has been so bad and will continue to get worse.

You should be scared buddy.

We have "limited" resources. Clotting factors and blood is what will save us and clotting factors are very expensive and there is very few available.

And, yes, it does not spread easily but you don't now that you're sick for up to weeks and that can leave lots of time to infect others an spread the virus.

My wife is a professor at a prominent university here in the U.S. with lots of students from the areas in Africa that are having problems. All it takes is one of these students to bring it over and infect and campus --> city --> country.

We are on thin ice and people here think they can't touched. You people should be fucking terrified. I don't think you realize how close we are to the shit hitting the fan... we are NOT prepared here and if you think we are you are mistaken.

You should be scared buddy.

We have "limited" resources. Clotting factors and blood is what will save us and clotting factors are very expensive and there is very few available.

And, yes, it does not spread easily but you don't now that you're sick for up to weeks and that can leave lots of time to infect others an spread the virus.

My wife is a professor at a prominent university here in the U.S. with lots of students from the areas in Africa that are having problems. All it takes is one of these students to bring it over and infect and campus --> city --> country.

We are on thin ice and people here think they can't touched. You people should be fucking terrified. I don't think you realize how close we are to the shit hitting the fan... we are NOT prepared here and if you think we are you are mistaken.

Enough with the fear mongering. Influenza remains a bigger threat. Why? Because it's much more communicable than Ebola. Ebola transmission requires direct contact with blood, urine, feces and is only communicable once symptoms appear. This greatly slows transmission rates in industrialized countries.

Should we take it seriously? Of course. It's a dangerous disease. However, as we saw with the Americans who contracted it in Africa, US pharma is already taking it seriously.

I am not for the fear mongering. But I do believe it can spread a little easier than what you describe.

I'd like to know how this man got those fluids from an infected person into his system.

I've been sick the last two days. I've been mostly staying in. Eating chicken soup, I add a chopped up carrot, some onion and garlic to it for an antioxidant boost. I usually ride this out in 4-5 days. I can't think how I may have come in contact with any Ebola infected person.
I do work in an office with 100 people and a cold virus is always easy to pick up off a door nob or some other common area.

(and thanks to the anti-vaccine movement, measles cases in the US have surged nearly fourfold since last year.)

I don't think it's from the anti vaccine movement as much as it is that some people are unvaccinated. I agree though. Ebola and flu are a bit concerning, moreso because we don't seem to be taking it too seriously

Enough with the fear mongering. Influenza remains a bigger threat. Why? Because it's much more communicable than Ebola. Ebola transmission requires direct contact with blood, urine, feces and is only communicable once symptoms appear. This greatly slows transmission rates in industrialized countries.

Should we take it seriously? Of course. It's a dangerous disease. However, as we saw with the Americans who contracted it in Africa, US pharma is already taking it seriously.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's not dude.... You really think you know? This has never happened before, we don't have a treatment, this could be bad and my point is that this WILL get bad and you will see.

Ebola is not a bigger threat to the US than influenza at this stage. The flu has a part in the death of at least 30,000 Americans every year and that number is quite steady. Sorry that I'm not ready to buy into ebola fear mongering with only the unknown to support it. Obviously the potential is terrifying, but the CDC is taking this very seriously.

Last edited:
Here, maybe this will calm you down, if you'll let it:

ebola_casecountrycount_v2.0.png

Note the difference in figures between Sierra Leone and Nigeria. The latter, with a much higher population but far superior facilities, has managed to prevent an outbreak. You think the US won't be able to pounce on this?

Ebola is not a bigger threat to the US than influenza at this stage. The flu has a part in the death of at least 30,000 Americans every year and that number is quite steady. Sorry that I'm not ready to buy into ebola fear mongering with only the unknown to support it. Obviously the potential is terrifying, but the CDC is taking this very seriously.

I agree with you that it's not a bigger threat at this time but the reference to deaths from influenza is totally irrelevant.

The vast majority of people who die of influenza are the sick, the old, the very young and the immunocompromised. That is NOT the case with Ebola at all, which is actually what makes it much more frightening.

I agree with you that it's not a bigger threat at this time but the reference to deaths from influenza is totally irrelevant.

The vast majority of people who die of influenza are the sick, the old, the very young and the immunocompromised. That is NOT the case with Ebola at all, which is actually what makes it much more frightening.

Which is why I specified that the disease "has a part" in the deaths of 30,000 Americans per year. The assumption is that those individuals would not have died, at least at that time, absent influenza. Therefore, it is a dangerous illness to a portion of the population.

A much larger portion than those who will be infected with ebola, surely. But, as you said, we agree on the relative danger of the two at this time.

Yes, but keep in mind that you can also mitigate, to some extent, the severity of influenza by vaccinating large swaths of the population and by offering anti-virals. Not the same with Ebola.

I think the truth is that the appropriate level of concern for me is somewhere between the "we're all gonna die" and "this is fearmongering and the flu is worse." Which is I think how the health authorities are dealing with it, too bad most people are instead choosing one of the two extremes.

There is fear mongering

and dismissiveness

that falls squarely under dismissiveness

the first question should be

Have you given comfort and care to someone that has been sick with flu-like symptoms?

Are they not getting better? Are there other symptoms? like ( list Ebola related symptoms)

5 schoolchildren had contact with Ebola patient

Los Angeles Times | October 1, 2014 | 10:55 AM
Five students who attend four different schools have had contact with a man diagnosed with Ebola in Dallas, Texas officials said today.

The elementary, middle and high school students are being monitored and show no symptoms, officials said. The children attended school earlier in the week and will be monitored at home, authorities said. There have been between 12 and 18 people who have had contact with the patient, health officials said.

Also, a health official said information about the patient’s travel from Liberia was not relayed to the full clinical team that initially treated him at a Dallas hospital on Friday. The patient was sent home with antibiotics. He was brought back to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday and was placed in isolation. Tests confirmed Tuesday that he is infected with the Ebola virus. He is in serious but stable condition.

For the latest information go to Los Angeles Times - California, national and world news - Los Angeles Times.

Back
Top Bottom