Ebola - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #121
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
That was almost a soda-all-over-the-monitor laugh.
Was the soda a Dr. Pooper?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #122
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:45 PM
It was Grape, I'm afraid.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #123
Refugee

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wo...ghts-on-ebola/

This needs to be posted here.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #124
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
The second is to anyone who feels the need to tweet/email/call/talk to me in a “triumphant” way that you’re “vindicated” by a new case of Ebola, and that people (including me) have been “wrong” to say that Americans are at low risk for Ebola in this country. It honestly sickens me that you could feel good at all about the fact that someone got Ebola. It’s a terrible disease, and I am sure that the nurse and her family are out of their minds with worry. Empathy should be the rational response here. That said, none of these developments change the story of Ebola at all for average Americans. We need to reevaluate our protocols for healthcare workers caring for patients with Ebola, but I promise you, person-living-in-another-state-from-the-infected-person-in-this-country, you’re still ok.
Just to be sure something from that article is seen.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #125
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
A few more thoughts on Ebola | The Incidental Economist

This needs to be posted here.

Lets agree to disagree. I'm obviously out numbered here but that still doesn't change my thoughts and beliefs on the subject matter.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #126
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Poop View Post
Lets agree to disagree. I'm obviously out numbered here but that still doesn't change my thoughts and beliefs on the subject matter.

But that's the problem, they are just your thoughts and ideas, based on what? Gut feeling? Because your "beliefs" clash with the science and facts.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #127
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But that's the problem, they are just your thoughts and ideas, based on what? Gut feeling? Because your "beliefs" clash with the science and facts.

They don't clash with science and facts. Your guess is as good as mine. Scientists and physicians are arguing about the same stuff. I know the science but at this point, and this is my point, THERE ARE NO FACTS... yet. And I'm not moving on it until this plays out. My opinion is just as good as your Beavis. The FACT is that the science is there but it has not taken into account for human's unpredictable behaviors and what could play out under current circumstances.

This has never happened yet. Where are your facts of science regarding the matter? Show me. Now. You can't at this point because its all opinion and belief.

Don't give me me this bull shit about science and facts Beavis because nobody knows and I'm just on the other side of the argument from you.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #128
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Ebola

Quote:
They don't clash with science and facts. Your guess is as good as mine. Scientists and physicians are arguing about the same stuff. I know the science but at this point, and this is my point, THERE ARE NO FACTS... yet. And I'm not moving on it until this plays out. My opinion is just as good as your Beavis.

This has NEVER HAPPENED YET!

Don't give me me this bull shit about science and facts Beavis because nobody knows and I'm just on the other side of the argument of you.

No, what science tells us at this point is that there are only a few ways to catch this virus; direct contact with fluids. You took your opinion a leap forward saying it's "not hard at all" to catch but with nothing to back it up. You also say the nurse followed all protocol, but that is not fact. You said "hundreds of thousands", based on absolutely nothing.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #129
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
My opinion is just as good as your Beavis.
I dunno, man. I mean, my Beavis is really good.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #130
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
No, what science tells us at this point is that there are only a few ways to catch this virus; direct contact with fluids. You took your opinion a leap forward saying it's "easy" to catch but with nothing to back it up. You also say the nurse followed all protocol, but that is not fact. You said "hundreds of thousands", based on absolutely nothing.

Yes, hundreds of thousands will contract it. In African, Europe, and other countries. I don't believe that this will kills mass populations in the U.S. or Canada but I do think many people don't fully or truly understand this virus because we haven't dealt with it in this situation. This will kill hundreds of thousands by the time we have things under control.

In terms of contracting this virus... Ebola is present in: Blood, urine, tears, sweat, saliva, semen (for up to 3 months after contraction), mucus, and feces. Yes, it is contracted by direct contact through, open soars, the eyes, the nose, the mouth and throat, and reproductive organs. The virus can also stay alive for hours in a dry state but if left in a wet state can survive for days. If this isn't an easy to contract virus then I have no fucking clue what easy means... Air born? Then fact: if it is present in saliva or mucus then that means that there is an element of being able to contract it via the air.

All you need to do is touch something like a counter top and you can get it. Yes it is more difficult to contract then some other viruses but its much easier than you might think.

I have no idea what the nurse did but I have a feeling that there was a lot of "protocol" broken by many people as many people had no fucking clue as to what they were doing and not to their fault but just a system that is not fully prepared to handle these situations.

Look... do I think this is going to wipe out a third of the population like the plague? No, I don't. Is it going to be as deadly as the Spanish Flu? No, I don't but I do believe that the world wide mortality rate will be quite high and will be a small glimpse into what is right around the corner if we continue to fuck up our planet like we have over the past 3 to 4 decades.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #131
Acrobat

The numbers from the CDC and this most recent outbreak are staggering compared to previous out breaks.

Outbreaks Chronology: Ebola Virus Disease | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
Old 10-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #132
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I dunno, man. I mean, my Beavis is really good.
I do like Beavis...
Old 10-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #133
Acrobat

pretty good graph

ORIGINAL ARTICLE - New England Journal of Medicine
Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa — The First 9 Months of the Epidemic and Forward Projections
WHO Ebola Response Team
September 23, 2014DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1411100

BACKGROUND
On March 23, 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) was notified of an outbreak of Ebola virus disease (EVD) in Guinea. On August 8, the WHO declared the epidemic to be a “public health emergency of international concern.”
Full Text of Background...
METHODS
By September 14, 2014, a total of 4507 probable and confirmed cases, including 2296 deaths from EVD (Zaire species) had been reported from five countries in West Africa — Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal, and Sierra Leone. We analyzed a detailed subset of data on 3343 confirmed and 667 probable Ebola cases collected in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone as of September 14.
Full Text of Methods...
RESULTS
The majority of patients are 15 to 44 years of age (49.9% male), and we estimate that the case fatality rate is 70.8% (95% confidence interval [CI], 69 to 73) among persons with known clinical outcome of infection. The course of infection, including signs and symptoms, incubation period (11.4 days), and serial interval (15.3 days), is similar to that reported in previous outbreaks of EVD. On the basis of the initial periods of exponential growth, the estimated basic reproduction numbers (R0 ) are 1.71 (95% CI, 1.44 to 2.01) for Guinea, 1.83 (95% CI, 1.72 to 1.94) for Liberia, and 2.02 (95% CI, 1.79 to 2.26) for Sierra Leone. The estimated current reproduction numbers (R) are 1.81 (95% CI, 1.60 to 2.03) for Guinea, 1.51 (95% CI, 1.41 to 1.60) for Liberia, and 1.38 (95% CI, 1.27 to 1.51) for Sierra Leone; the corresponding doubling times are 15.7 days (95% CI, 12.9 to 20.3) for Guinea, 23.6 days (95% CI, 20.2 to 28.2) for Liberia, and 30.2 days (95% CI, 23.6 to 42.3) for Sierra Leone. Assuming no change in the control measures for this epidemic, by November 2, 2014, the cumulative reported numbers of confirmed and probable cases are predicted to be 5740 in Guinea, 9890 in Liberia, and 5000 in Sierra Leone, exceeding 20,000 in total.
Full Text of Results...
CONCLUSIONS
These data indicate that without drastic improvements in control measures, the numbers of cases of and deaths from EVD are expected to continue increasing from hundreds to thousands per week in the coming months.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 AM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Was the soda a Dr. Pooper?
or a Coca eBola?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

wow, even the World Health Organization is drinking the Poop kool-aid

WHO: Ebola Threatens States, Societies in W. Africa