Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Thinking about going to a service

(they do put out extra chairs for us Chistmas, Easter, St Patrick's and Cinco de Mayo participants)
When I was a kid I hated the families who only came to services on holidays. I mean I had to be there every stinking week and then these little brats could just waltz in on Easter and have the same shot at the candy that I had. If looks could have killed there would have been major carnage.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #32
Refugee

Went to a children's activity on "Bad" Friday, never seem to get this Holiday as I can't get past Jesus dying on the cross. It's always depressing for me and actual life events seem to be usually be depressing as well. Will go to children's service tomorrow morning. Last year they released butterflies in the sanctuary.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #33
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:20 AM
I see that Sunday also happens to be INDY's and sarit's birthday, so, Happy Birthday INDY and sarit!

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Yuk Easter, horrible time of year....I've worked most of the weekend, so not really a long weekend in my book. And Good Friday is the most boring day of the year, nothing to do, the day needs to become less "sacred" as it gets in the way for us non-believers.

People getting fat over chocolate, isn't cool too. Does nothing to promote good nutrition.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
And Good Friday is the most boring day of the year, nothing to do, the day needs to become less "sacred" as it gets in the way for us non-believers.
Do any places where you are actually close on Good Friday?

I mean here, except for the easter basket stuff in the stores or mentions such as this on various boards, I'd never even notice Easter.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #36
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Yep, it's frustrating. Good Friday and Easter Sunday, pretty much everything in my part of Melbourne is closed. Presumably it's the same in inte's part of the city too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
People getting fat over chocolate, isn't cool too. Does nothing to promote good nutrition.
As if any holiday does. Excuse me while I enjoy another choc chip hot cross bun.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 AM
If I were more of a believer
I'd go to Bethlehem and Easter Island at least once.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:

I mean here, except for the easter basket stuff in the stores or mentions such as this on various boards, I'd never even notice Easter.
Everything is open on the Saturday and the Monday because of so-called "sales", while on the Friday (especially) and the Sunday most places are shut. Bunnings Wherehouse is open today though....if ya need some hardware...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yep, it's frustrating. Good Friday and Easter Sunday, pretty much everything in my part of Melbourne is closed. Presumably it's the same in inte's part of the city too.
Wow. Never would have guessed that. I wonder why? Australia doesn't seem like a particularly religious country and Easter has always struck me as a much, much more religious than secular holiday.

While smaller (usually individually owned) shops and business are closed for Easter and some others close early, most larger places are open as usual here. Now larger businesses such as GE close on Good Friday (at least they did when I worked there), but that was great (for those employees anyway) because we could shop, eat out, or go to movies or clubs etc. on our day off because the vast majority of those types of places are open.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:
Yes, they do here, too. Only a few supermarkets open, mainly Asian grocers. It's quite ridiculous, I'm not sure what the CBD was like, though. But the local shopping mall here was completely closed off, except for the Hungry Jack's which was still open for trade. Adelaide has, I think, the highest percentage of non-believers in Australia, so I have to wonder exactly how much longer these restrictions will last here, as well as in the other cities. It's nothing more than a stab back at the early importance of faith in the country, but now in time it's so multicultural and diverse that there's little reason to continue it. I imagine it may have more than a little to do with the fact that it falls a day before the school holidays begin for most Australian students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Easter Island
Such a holy and sacred Biblical location!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:20 AM
i had a horrible, horrible case of food poisoning on Thursday night/Friday morning that left me incapacitated for most of the day on Friday. so i suffered, too.

on Saturday i rose from the bed and was able to walk around a bit as my strength returned.

and today, we have a big gay brunch to attend. the couple takes the week off beforehand to prepare for the brunch and they make something like 100 individual lemon tarts and marinate 30 lbs of brisket.

glad my stomach is back on track.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In Larry Land...Mr. Mullen has dragged me over to the dark side. Who knew this place was made of hardwood floors :P
Just having spaghetti at my grandma's tonight
Old 04-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i had a horrible, horrible case of food poisoning on Thursday night/Friday morning that left me incapacitated for most of the day on Friday. so i suffered, too.

on Saturday i rose from the bed and was able to walk around a bit as my strength returned.

and today, we have a big gay brunch to attend. the couple takes the week off beforehand to prepare for the brunch and they make something like 100 individual lemon tarts and marinate 30 lbs of brisket.

glad my stomach is back on track.
your own little reenactment?

good to hear you were resurrected on the third day and among the living again.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Quote:
Wow. Never would have guessed that. I wonder why? Australia doesn't seem like a particularly religious country and Easter has always struck me as a much, much more religious than secular holiday.
Same here in Canada - pretty much everything is closed on Good Friday and Sunday. As well, government offices are closed on Monday.

I kind of enjoy it. Things being closed = less running for me to do, and that's always a good thing. I'm staying home today to clean my house.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

I celebrated Zombie Jesus Weekend by making sure to get extra smashed on Thursday night as I had Friday off.