Easter - anything? or will you pass over the holiday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thinking about going to a service

(they do put out extra chairs for us Chistmas, Easter, St Patrick's and Cinco de Mayo participants)

When I was a kid I hated the families who only came to services on holidays. I mean I had to be there every stinking week and then these little brats could just waltz in on Easter and have the same shot at the candy that I had. If looks could have killed there would have been major carnage. :madspit:

:uhoh:

Went to a children's activity on "Bad" Friday, never seem to get this Holiday as I can't get past Jesus dying on the cross. It's always depressing for me and actual life events seem to be usually be depressing as well. Will go to children's service tomorrow morning. Last year they released butterflies in the sanctuary.

I see that Sunday also happens to be INDY's and sarit's birthday, so, Happy Birthday INDY and sarit! :)

Yuk Easter, horrible time of year....I've worked most of the weekend, so not really a long weekend in my book. And Good Friday is the most boring day of the year, nothing to do, the day needs to become less "sacred" as it gets in the way for us non-believers.

People getting fat over chocolate, isn't cool too. Does nothing to promote good nutrition.

And Good Friday is the most boring day of the year, nothing to do, the day needs to become less "sacred" as it gets in the way for us non-believers.

Do any places where you are actually close on Good Friday? :huh:

I mean here, except for the easter basket stuff in the stores or mentions such as this on various boards, I'd never even notice Easter. :shrug:

Yep, it's frustrating. Good Friday and Easter Sunday, pretty much everything in my part of Melbourne is closed. Presumably it's the same in inte's part of the city too.

People getting fat over chocolate, isn't cool too. Does nothing to promote good nutrition.

As if any holiday does. Excuse me while I enjoy another choc chip hot cross bun.

I mean here, except for the easter basket stuff in the stores or mentions such as this on various boards, I'd never even notice Easter. :shrug:

Everything is open on the Saturday and the Monday because of so-called "sales", while on the Friday (especially) and the Sunday most places are shut. Bunnings Wherehouse is open today though....if ya need some hardware...

Yep, it's frustrating. Good Friday and Easter Sunday, pretty much everything in my part of Melbourne is closed. Presumably it's the same in inte's part of the city too.

Wow. Never would have guessed that. I wonder why? Australia doesn't seem like a particularly religious country and Easter has always struck me as a much, much more religious than secular holiday.

While smaller (usually individually owned) shops and business are closed for Easter and some others close early, most larger places are open as usual here. Now larger businesses such as GE close on Good Friday (at least they did when I worked there), but that was great (for those employees anyway) because we could shop, eat out, or go to movies or clubs etc. on our day off because the vast majority of those types of places are open.

Do any places where you are actually close on Good Friday?

Yes, they do here, too. Only a few supermarkets open, mainly Asian grocers. It's quite ridiculous, I'm not sure what the CBD was like, though. But the local shopping mall here was completely closed off, except for the Hungry Jack's which was still open for trade. Adelaide has, I think, the highest percentage of non-believers in Australia, so I have to wonder exactly how much longer these restrictions will last here, as well as in the other cities. It's nothing more than a stab back at the early importance of faith in the country, but now in time it's so multicultural and diverse that there's little reason to continue it. I imagine it may have more than a little to do with the fact that it falls a day before the school holidays begin for most Australian students.

Easter Island

Such a holy and sacred Biblical location!

i had a horrible, horrible case of food poisoning on Thursday night/Friday morning that left me incapacitated for most of the day on Friday. so i suffered, too.

on Saturday i rose from the bed and was able to walk around a bit as my strength returned.

and today, we have a big gay brunch to attend. the couple takes the week off beforehand to prepare for the brunch and they make something like 100 individual lemon tarts and marinate 30 lbs of brisket.

glad my stomach is back on track. :up:

i had a horrible, horrible case of food poisoning on Thursday night/Friday morning that left me incapacitated for most of the day on Friday. so i suffered, too.

on Saturday i rose from the bed and was able to walk around a bit as my strength returned.

and today, we have a big gay brunch to attend. the couple takes the week off beforehand to prepare for the brunch and they make something like 100 individual lemon tarts and marinate 30 lbs of brisket.

glad my stomach is back on track. :up:

your own little reenactment?

good to hear you were resurrected on the third day and among the living again.

Wow. Never would have guessed that. I wonder why? Australia doesn't seem like a particularly religious country and Easter has always struck me as a much, much more religious than secular holiday.

Same here in Canada - pretty much everything is closed on Good Friday and Sunday. As well, government offices are closed on Monday.

I kind of enjoy it. Things being closed = less running for me to do, and that's always a good thing. :up: I'm staying home today to clean my house.

I celebrated Zombie Jesus Weekend by making sure to get extra smashed on Thursday night as I had Friday off.

I slept in (arrive home from vacation after at 20 hour drive at 11pm last night and then cleaned and unpacked before bed), then went to my aunt's for a family lunch. After that I had to scramble to finish a web site project for someone who was boarding my dogs. We picked them up at 5:30pm and I handed her the disc with the finalized project.

My grandpa died at 11 this morning.

Really sorry to hear that, Lies. My condolences to your family.

Thanks. We weren't that close, but it's upsetting that no one saw it coming and never really got to say goodbye.

Yeah, you know it is a strange thing when an old person dies kind of suddenly, because on the one hand, it's not surprising, but on the other hand, it can be. After multiple strokes and a heart attack and Alzheimer's, my grandmother died last Sunday of the flu, so in a sense that was a shock although it also wasn't.

Only a few essential services are allowed to trade in Australia on Good Friday, such as service stations. I understand it that permission has to be given. Similar rules apply for Christmas Day. They're two days where you will find all towns and cities deserted.

I went to Easter Vigil Mass like I do every year-I enjoy that Mass

Yesterday I didn't feel all that well. I did some cleaning and watched some baseball, basketball, and golf. I ate zero candy because I'm trying to lose some weight. I just hope I can avoid the half priced candy, which I didn't after Valentine's Day.

^^ I actually wish everything would pretty much shut down for all of easter . . . be nice to have one little gap in the year where you really can't do to much else other than just be . . . my kids really freaked out when they realised that nothing was open on Good Friday . . . they are growing up in a world where its all accessible all of the time . . . and I just wonder whether the whole instant gratification thing is not a titchy bit unhealthy . . . and I know it would be a difficult time for people without families etc but should that not force the rest of us to do the good deed and invite those people in to our homes???

*jumpsoffsoapboxandgoesbacktotopic*

we visited the mother-in-law who has just moved up the coast . . .helped unpack boxes, clean things, move furniture and all that jazz . . .kids found the daggiest most politically incorrect playground in all of nsw and adored it (big ole fashioned metal climbing frame with firemans pole, ladder, big ole slide and monkey bars . . . no soft fall, no safety grip no nothing :heart: ) . . . then yesterday we had a big lunch of fish and salad and sat around playing uno and monopoly while the rained heaved from the heavens . .. gorgeous weekend in all :) and I'm a little sad that its over!

Liesje and anitram, I'm very sorry for your losses :hug:

Back
Top Bottom