Early morning, July 20 - shot rings out in Aurora Colorado - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Babyface

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
There's a good article in the Disgusting thread that points out that, unfortunately, stricter gun laws are unlikely to prevent mass shootings like this one.
Maybe not prevent, but how about reducing the probability of such an event?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:06 PM
^^^ya, anything is better than what we have now!!! Today on the radio I heard some numbskull call in to Stephanie Miller's show and say that he couldn't understand how or why no one stopped the guy once he started shooting and that everyone in there should have had a gun, much like that numbskull GOP Congressman from Texas; Gohmert .... said "Aurora shooting ‘terrorist act,’ questions why no one else in theater had a gun" Seriously. Don't people understand how ridiculous that is? Not only would more people have died, but the chaos and panic would have just multiplied. Violence begets violence and I firmly believe that just owning a gun ( IMO) brings the negative energy of violence/fear in to your home and it will manifest in your life eventually.
Yes, I know people protect themselves and homes from intruders, but...I think it's because ( yes I know..this is out there but there is something to this) it's drawn to them by the energy they focus on.
Quick story... when I lived in Panama in Central America, a 3rd world country ( no I was not military, we were civilians) every house on our street got burglarized at one time or another. In the 25 years we lived there, nothing ever happened to us. I think it was the loving energy my parents put out, plus not turning away the beggars that would come to our door... my mother fed them and gave them clothes. It's that loving energy that protected us I am convinced. Yes, I know that is way out there for some of you, but I am just sharing .... food for thought. No rotten tomatoes please.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieco View Post
Violence begets violence and I firmly believe that just owning a gun ( IMO) brings the negative energy of violence/fear in to your home and it will manifest in your life eventually.
Indeed. I've noticed when I see true crime shows on TV that most intentional/unintentional murders and robberies that happen in the home are often done by people they know instead of some random stranger. The guns that they get to protect themselves usually wind up being used against them.

Your story about looking after the beggars is interesting. I do agree that not brushing off people who aren't in your "class", trusting them and such definitely helps, and if you grow up in a confrontational home, it's more likely to rub off on you. It often seems to me that people who own guns already tend to have aggressive personalities as it is.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
gawker.com

Warner Bros. Will Donate Portion of Dark Knight Rises Proceeds to Aurora Shooting Victims

Though it would not say exactly how much it planned to donate, Warner Bros. is expected to contribute a "substantial" sum, according to sources.

The Hollywood Reporter says the studio will contribute to a Giving First fund that will distribute the money among several charities providing support for victims of the Aurora theater shooting and their families.

Warner Bros. initially declined to release dollar figures for TDKR's opening weekend out of respect for the victims, but it was eventually revealed that the film had grossed a record-setting $160.9 million.
Smooth. That's one way to counteract the bad publicity the film faced.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
45:33

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Gun sales soar after Colorado shooting | Herald Sun
Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #36
The Male

No surprise. People are scared and the laws are still intact--->more guns

That specific figure is pretty alarming though.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #37
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Not sure if this is the place to share this but our singer for Joshua Tree lost a friend in the shooting in Colorado. This is from this past Saturday night when he dedicated an emotional performance of One Tree Hill to her.

U2JT performing One Tree Hill at the 2012 OC Fair - YouTube
Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Can someone here who is pro-guns explain to me in what kind of fucking situation would an ordinary citizen need an assault rifle?
The term "assault rifle" is a military term. The civilian version AR-15 is a semi-automatic weapon. It does not fire full auto as the military version.

There are many traditonal looking unscary looking semi-automatic hunting
rifles that can fire at the same rate as the AR-15.

It seems the term "assault" and (in some people's mind) the evil
appearance of the AR-15 raises a red flag.
The AR-15 is a very popular rifle among hunters because it is a great rifle and offers hunters dozens of different options and gear.

That is my answer to your question.

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

~ James Madison

-Only three people were killed in the gun fight at the OK Corral in Tombstone Az in 1881, yet it was frontpage news in New York City.

-According to recent FBI statistics, violent crime in America has been going down.

-52 million American households own a firearm.

-3.5 million Americans now have concealed weapon permits and despite warnings from anti-gun groups this has not resulted in more murders or violent crime. In fact, the crime rate has gone down in states that allow CWP.

-U.S. cities that have the strictest gun laws have the highest murder rates.
There have been about 260 murders in Chicago since January. (Most of these have been gang and drug related)

-Four of the top five most recent mass shootings did not occur in America.

A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.

~Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.

It's easy to blame guns. It's a lot more difficult to ask why a person would go into a movie theater and kill.

Where does this evil come from?

What cultural or societal issues should we discuss?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

I come from somewhat of a "gun culture" family but the guys' guns are all hunting rifles, useless for any sort of defense mostly because when they are not actually hunting the guns are kept locked up and sometimes disassembled. Often their guns are not even in their own homes (for example my cousin kept his hunting rifles at my parents house in college and several family members use my grandpa's guns instead of their own). I've never, ever felt any reason to carry a gun since I have zero interest in sitting in the cold all day praying a deer walks by. If Phil wanted a hunting rifle I'd be OK with that but he would have to have a locked gun safe and I'd probably ask him to keep that with my dad since we'll probably have kiddos soon and my parents are empty-nesters now. I do not feel that I have any inherent "right" to walk around with loaded weapons. It does help that I have these to always back me up though!
Pan SDA 2 26 2012 - YouTube
Nikon Barn Protection 3 11 2012 - YouTube
Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

If you need a semi-automatic rifle for hunting, you aren't doing it right.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
The term "assault rifle" is a military term. The civilian version AR-15 is a semi-automatic weapon. It does not fire full auto as the military version.

There are many traditonal looking unscary looking semi-automatic hunting
rifles that can fire at the same rate as the AR-15.

It seems the term "assault" and (in some people's mind) the evil
appearance of the AR-15 raises a red flag.
The AR-15 is a very popular rifle among hunters because it is a great rifle and offers hunters dozens of different options and gear.

That is my answer to your question.
Did you grow up around a lot of really bad hunters? Who needs a magazine that holds 100 rounds(which is what was found in this shooting) when hunting?

Quote:
-U.S. cities that have the strictest gun laws have the highest murder rates.
There have been about 260 murders in Chicago since January. (Most of these have been gang and drug related)
This is a manipulated statistic put out by NRA propaganda. Why talk about law abidding citizens then all of a sudden talk about criminal on criminal violence when it comes to cities like Chicago when you are trying to point to states with strict gun laws?

Quote:
It's easy to blame guns. It's a lot more difficult to ask why a person would go into a movie theater and kill.
The "why" will always be there, so why allow them the tool that dispenses a hundred bullets in one load?

Quote:
What cultural or societal issues should we discuss?
How about gun culture?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Nothing proves your manhood more than filling a Deer with 100 rounds in a couple of seconds...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Christian Bale visited several victims yesterday. He asked that the media not be notified- this picture was posted on Carey Rottman's Facebook page

He also visited the memorial

Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse7545332
-Four of the top five most recent mass shootings did not occur in America.

Wow, that's comforting. Maybe we need to try to catch up #we'renumberone

Four out of five dentists recommend Colgate too

One thing that could be done and needs to be done is to stop making these people so famous. The media just won't stop doing it, and all it does is motivate more people who want the same thing.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

~ James Madison
You know, at the time Madison wrote this, a talented shooter could get a max of three shots from a musket pet minute, and barely one a minute with a rifle. In addition, there were violent battles errupting all over the colonies, whether with the British or Native population.

Do you honestly think this quote should apply to gun control laws today?