Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Where do you get the idea that most people think he did NOT cross the line with his words?

Because they are the loud ones.

I'd encourage everyone to go read what he really said.

It was offensive, no matter your religious beliefs. It was puerile, sex-obsessed, and nasty. It was not an expression of disagreement based on religious principles. It was using religion to dress up and justify nasy language and behavior.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Where do you get the idea that most people think he did NOT cross the line with his words?
I could be mistaken - but it seems most opinion articles I've read did not think he was being intentionally hateful. It wasn't a soapbox speech.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #78
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 12:51 AM
That they think he was not being intentionally hateful does not imply they think he did not cross the line...
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I think that perhaps Deep is suggesting is that "freedom" goes beyond what the government protects. Which is true. However, we all surrender some freedom in exchange for employment and/service.

For instance - as a soldier, I gave up quite a bit of "freedom" in order to serve. As an employee, I give up some "freedom" in order that other employees can work in a non-hostile environment.

I am perfectly fine with A&E letting Phil go. It's a business decision. It may be a poor decision, based on the response. In that case - I admire the management for sticking to their principles (if that's the real reason). And this is not just about Right vs. Left - as we've seen recently that Martin Bashir and Alec Baldwin have been fired for the words that came out of their mouths.

Civilization requires civility. This is gauged by the people (the government plays only a small role here) - and the line is constantly moving. When a celebrity crosses the line - the people respond. For the most part, it seem that most people think that Phil Robertson did not cross the line here - so, I wont be surprised if he's back on the show when they resume filming, or Duck Dynasty is picked up by another network.

If that happens, Phil Robertson will probably have even less "freedom" with his words.

My last post was more in line with people that are saying that most 'free speech' arguments are getting it wrong. Americans are protected from the government restricting their rights of expression, not private companies (A and E) or being able to post on this board.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 11:51 PM
For all the lowest common denominator garbage it airs, A&E is a crafty business. And it knows it doesn't want to be on the wrong side of history and appear to align itself with these kind of views. So I can respect that.

However, the network was actively and probably cynically seeking the goober demographic with these ducks folks. It was only a matter of time, really. Some kind of Frankenstein situation I think.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
That they think he was not being intentionally hateful does not imply they think he did not cross the line...

Isn't this a matter of perspective. I do find his remarks quite, well ignorant.

Most people do not want to consider themselves hateful. And those that have similar or leaning that way opinions will not see it as hateful.

Also, thinning about this a little. Does anyone really believe that this guy and others on the show don't say stuff like this all the time.
Their hour show is probably edited down from twenty, thirty hours of taping. A and E has created a warm and fuzzy bunch of characters for a brand that is a real money maker. That is their business. I watched a bit of the show lately, it is obviosly some-what scripted and set up. A and E has warned this 'old boy' to not do interviews.
His 'family values' 'god loving' beliefs will not have as wide of a demographic as the fake brand that A and E created.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Their hour show is probably edited down from twenty, thirty hours of taping. A and E has created a warm and fuzzy bunch of characters for a brand that is a real money maker. That is their business. I watched a bit of the show lately, it is obviosly some-what scripted and set up. A and E has warned this 'old boy' to not do interviews.
His 'family values' 'god loving' beliefs will not have as wide of a demographic as the fake brand that A and E created.
This is it exactly. The network (or production company, I guess?) found a sweet spot of carefully pruned family values that could appeal to a huge swath of people.

Really enjoying seeing the desperate politicians glomming onto to this.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

I love the comparison to the Dixie Chicks going around Facebook and the like. How many people arguing that Robertson is being treated unfairly said the same thing about the Dixie Chicks back in the day?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Sometimes people surprise you

I am hoping this man will do that

it really is up to him alone. He can cling to his ignorance, plead his decency, just being poor white trash, that hoed cotton fields with blacks when he was younger.

or he can come back and say after reflecting on his remarks, he no longer stands by them.

it is a sad day that this 'made up' clan is the best thing this state has going for it

Lt. Gov.: 'Duck Dynasty' important to Louisiana
Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #85
Refugee

So I guess a guy like this just wears camo everywhere, huh?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Why not, ducks can be anywhere.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Well
it looks like I hoped for a little too much

'Duck Dynasty' patriarch Phil Robertson says he 'will not give' after homosexuality comments | Fox News

this man went to church and had his less than Christian attitudes and beliefs validated by others that call themselves Christians, why would anyone want to be associated with that?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

this man went to church and had his less than Christian attitudes and beliefs validated by others that call themselves Christians, why would anyone want to be associated with that?
We're all a work in progress...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Looks like he's back...

A&E Welcomes Phil Robertson Back to 'Duck Dynasty'
Old 12-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh, thank god. Our long national nightmare is over.