Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #61
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:54 AM
Yeah, they're not quite saying "You can't say that", just "if you say that, we don't pay you". It is different, as it gives the guy a choice.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Why does her being openly gay give her any sort of autority?
Strangely, Camille Paglia calls herself - or has been called, I'm not sure which - the anti-lesbian lesbian. She's written books and articles critical of homosexuality...even though she's homosexual herself. I guess she's just looking for attention. I don't know how else to put it.
__________________

__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
On a radio program Thursday liberal feminist professor and columnist Camille Paglia commented on the controversy over the remarks made by Phil Robertson:



"I speak with authority here because I was openly gay before the 'Stonewall Rebellion,' when it cost you something to be so," she said. "And I personally feel as a libertarian that people have the right to free thought and free speech. In a democratic country, people have the right to be homophobic as they have the right to support homosexuality -- as I 100 percent do. If people are basing their views against gays on the Bible, again they have a right to religious freedom there … to express yourself in a magazine in an interview -– this is the level of punitive PC, utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist, OK, that my liberal colleagues in the Democratic party and on college campuses have supported and promoted over the last several decades. It's the whole legacy of the free speech 1960's that have been lost by my own party."



http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-T...ist-PC-Culture




As you've seen in here, you have the right to be openly homophobic, which you are. But you don't have the right not to go unchallenged.

No one's rights were violated. Especially not A&E's rights, which, as a corporation, is really the most important thing here.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #64
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Strangely, Camille Paglia calls herself - or has been called, I'm not sure which - the anti-lesbian lesbian. She's written books and articles critical of homosexuality...even though she's homosexual herself. I guess she's just looking for attention. I don't know how else to put it.
Eh, right... that sounds rather paradoxal. Sad she can't just accept herself the way she is..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post



Sure, but they could if they VOICED those beliefs in public when they go against their bosses views and offend large groups of people. Religion is something personal. Keep it to yourself and everybody's happy.
If you go around spouting hateful stuff about blacks or jews, you'd be fired from your job and your boss would have every right to. This case isn't different.

Religious speech is protected, therefore if one wants to say that unless one accepts Jesus as Christ they will not go to heaven,therefore Jews must accept Christ or they will not be saved. Is this hateful?
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
As you've seen in here, you have the right to be openly homophobic, which you are. But you don't have the right not to go unchallenged.
Gay rights and SSM advocates, we are learning, do apparently have the right to go unchallenged however.
Quote:
No one's rights were violated.
And no one was compelled to accept his beliefs either. Phil Robertson, even if so disposed, has no direct access to the power of government or the law with which to impose his views upon others. Unlike Federal Judge Robert J Shelby, who yesterday informed the citizens of Utah that their beliefs and laws pertaining to the institution of marriage are no longer required and preceded to impose his ideas on marriage upon them from his bench.

We have a lawless president and a lawless judiciary. What could go wrong??
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Why even have a judiciary? The will of the people is always right, and always Constitutional. (Unless it's a presidential election in the past 5 years.)

Don't worry, the appointed, unelected AG is going to appeal the ruling.

I don't know what you're talking about in regards to DD -- you're not making any sense.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I don't understand why anyone thinks that his has anything to do with free speech rights. The duck guy has every right to say something homophobic, and A&E, having a fiduciary duty to its shareholder to maximize profit, has every right to not give him money anymore. Nobody's free speech is being violated.
I've been saying this ad nauseum for years on similar threads.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,890
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Gay rights and SSM advocates, we are learning, do apparently have the right to go unchallenged however.


And no one was compelled to accept his beliefs either. Phil Robertson, even if so disposed, has no direct access to the power of government or the law with which to impose his views upon others. Unlike Federal Judge Robert J Shelby, who yesterday informed the citizens of Utah that their beliefs and laws pertaining to the institution of marriage are no longer required and preceded to impose his ideas on marriage upon them from his bench.

We have a lawless president and a lawless judiciary. What could go wrong??
Federal Judge Robert J. Shelby: Utah, you don't have an argument for why you are doing this.
Utah/INDY: So???
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,966
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I've been saying this ad nauseum for years on similar threads.

The fact that no one listened to you must have been a violation of your free speech rights!
__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 12:54 AM
No one is required to listen. She just has the right to express her views.

When people are banned or suspended - their free speech rights are being violated.

( I used to carpool with a guy that took the bar exam, twice)
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
No one is required to listen.
As evidenced by you ignoring the (factual) statements that this has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #73
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Religious speech is protected, therefore if one wants to say that unless one accepts Jesus as Christ they will not go to heaven,therefore Jews must accept Christ or they will not be saved. Is this hateful?
No. But comparing normal people like you and I versus sick minded ones that have sex with animals is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
As evidenced by you ignoring the (factual) statements that this has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
I think that perhaps Deep is suggesting is that "freedom" goes beyond what the government protects. Which is true. However, we all surrender some freedom in exchange for employment and/service.

For instance - as a soldier, I gave up quite a bit of "freedom" in order to serve. As an employee, I give up some "freedom" in order that other employees can work in a non-hostile environment.

I am perfectly fine with A&E letting Phil go. It's a business decision. It may be a poor decision, based on the response. In that case - I admire the management for sticking to their principles (if that's the real reason). And this is not just about Right vs. Left - as we've seen recently that Martin Bashir and Alec Baldwin have been fired for the words that came out of their mouths.

Civilization requires civility. This is gauged by the people (the government plays only a small role here) - and the line is constantly moving. When a celebrity crosses the line - the people respond. For the most part, it seem that most people think that Phil Robertson did not cross the line here - so, I wont be surprised if he's back on the show when they resume filming, or Duck Dynasty is picked up by another network.

If that happens, Phil Robertson will probably have even less "freedom" with his words.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #75
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 09:54 AM
Where do you get the idea that most people think he did NOT cross the line with his words?
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com