Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post

Want to here something funny - back there they consider me Far Left and a bit of a California Marxist.
I know that feeling. I'm pretty moderate, probably lean a little closer to the right than left, but really, I think it just depends on the day. But some people in my family treat me like a friggin' outsider sometimes when politics come up because I'm just a "liberal". It's disappointing when people treat others according to political leanings.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:22 AM

Wow, people are really up in arms about this fuckin issue. The internet hate is extra venomous. Especially my hometown rag, Newsday. The reader comments there are horrible. Lots of anti-gay stuff. Mean people really do suck.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I know that feeling. I'm pretty moderate, probably lean a little closer to the right than left, but really, I think it just depends on the day. But some people in my family treat me like a friggin' outsider sometimes when politics come up because I'm just a "liberal". It's disappointing when people treat others according to political leanings.
Yeah - sounds like we're in about the same place. I generally avoid face to face political discussions anymore.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Wow, people are really up in arms about this fuckin issue. The internet hate is extra venomous. Especially my hometown rag, Newsday. The reader comments there are horrible. Lots of anti-gay stuff. Mean people really do suck.
I'm pretty amazed about the anonymous comment sections to "hot button" articles. Is it how people really feel if they when they're not held accountable for their words? Or is it for some "shock" value type of thrill? Either way - it's a bit scary.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Quote:
Yeah - sounds like we're in about the same place. I generally avoid face to face political discussions anymore.
Unfortunately, politics is a daily obsession in my family. Which isn't easy when my parents and one of my sisters are radical conservatives (I say radical because they believe the Obama birther stories, listen to Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck everyday, believe we are living in the end times because of Obama, etc.) so I have to keep my mouth shut even though they say things that drive me crazy. Let's just say Christmas is going to be fun.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Just to address some of the previous discussion, and not anyone in particular:

I know tons of rednecks. Being redneck is a culture like any other and fairly diversified like a lot of subsets of people. I know rednecks that listen to nothing but country music and rednecks that fucking despise all country music. There are absolutely homophobes and there are certainly plenty of those that are tolerant within that culture, most of them totally indifferent. There are racist assholes and tons of white redneck dudes with hot ass black girlfriends. "Redneck" is not synonymous with hateful bigot and it's not synonymous with Po' White Trash either. Some rednecks are rich as fuck, educated and cultured.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #37
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
(I say radical because they believe the Obama birther stories, listen to Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck everyday, believe we are living in the end times because of Obama, etc.) so I have to keep my mouth shut even though they say things that drive me crazy. Let's just say Christmas is going to be fun.
I have some of those people in my family too.

The only way I can describe it is - FRUSTRATION.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #38
War Child

Quote:
I'm pretty amazed about the anonymous comment sections to "hot button" articles. Is it how people really feel if they when they're not held accountable for their words? Or is it for some "shock" value type of thrill? Either way - it's a bit scary.
Alcohol might be a factor. But I do believe those people, mostly, actually do feel that way. It's especially bad if you frequent sports forums. Bunch of alpha-males measuring dicks against each other. I was there when I was younger. I've tried to evolve. I guess some people have no desire to do so.

The sheer thrill probably comes from insulting people. We are a superficial, judgmental society built on the social hierarchy of High School, where the majority of the population resides no matter how old they get. Gossipy superficial crap. That TMZ and the like exist is a stain on Western culture. Maybe it happens elsewhere too, I don't know. I just know I hate it.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
Alcohol might be a factor. But I do believe those people, mostly, actually do feel that way. It's especially bad if you frequent sports forums. Bunch of alpha-males measuring dicks against each other. I was there when I was younger. I've tried to evolve. I guess some people have no desire to do so.

The sheer thrill probably comes from insulting people. We are a superficial, judgmental society built on the social hierarchy of High School, where the majority of the population resides no matter how old they get. Gossipy superficial crap. That TMZ and the like exist is a stain on Western culture. Maybe it happens elsewhere too, I don't know. I just know I hate it.
I don't want to agree with you, but I think you're probably right.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
Just to address some of the previous discussion, and not anyone in particular:

I know tons of rednecks. Being redneck is a culture like any other and fairly diversified like a lot of subsets of people. I know rednecks that listen to nothing but country music and rednecks that fucking despise all country music. There are absolutely homophobes and there are certainly plenty of those that are tolerant within that culture, most of them totally indifferent. There are racist assholes and tons of white redneck dudes with hot ass black girlfriends. "Redneck" is not synonymous with hateful bigot and it's not synonymous with Po' White Trash either. Some rednecks are rich as fuck, educated and cultured.
I think Jeff Foxworthy gave us a decent list of what makes up a "redneck" a few years back...
Old 12-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 01:22 PM
It's really intriguing what the freedom of anonymity online does to people. youtube comments have been a ludicrous cesspool for a long time. really mindboggling how hateful people are when nobody can see them.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

the truth, or unhelpful?

Quote:
There Are Two Americas, And One Is Better Than The Other
JOSH BARRO

Matt Lewis writes of the controversy over Duck Dynasty that "There really are two Americas" and that the divide over the show "has as much to do with class and geography and culture and attitude as it does with religion."

That's true.

Specifically, there's one America where comparing homosexuality to bestiality is considered acceptable, and another where it is rude and offensive.

In one America, it's O.K. to say this of gays and lesbians: "They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil." In the other America, you're not supposed to say that.

There's one America where it's O.K. to say this about black people in the Jim Crow-era South: "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues." There's another America where that statement is considered to reflect ignorance and insensitivity.

In one America, it's O.K. to attribute the Pearl Harbor attacks to Shinto Buddhists' failure to accept Jesus. In the other America, that is not O.K.

There are two Americas, one of which is better than the other. And it's instructive who's sticking up for the worse America.

The conservative politicians who are complaining that Phil Robertson's firing flies in the face of "free speech" are generally smart enough to understand that Robertson doesn't actually have a legal right to be on A&E. When Sarah Palin and her cohorts talk about the importance of "free speech," they mean something much more specific: That the sorts of things that Robertson said are not the sorts of things a private employer should want to fire someone for saying. That they are, or ought to be, within the bounds of social acceptability.

But they're wrong. The other America — the America I live in — has this one right. Racist and anti-gay comments and comments disparaging of religious minorities are rude and unacceptable and might cost you your job. It's not O.K. to say that gay people are "full of murder."

I will add one caveat, in the vein of Andrew Sullivan's comments. The things Phil Robertson said should get you fired from most jobs. But starring on a reality show is a special kind of job, one where demonstrating that you are a good person who follows good social conventions may not be necessary.

For example, if at a Business Insider function I were to flip over a table and call one of my colleagues a "prostitution whore," I'd probably be fired. But when a Real Housewife of New Jersey does that, she's doing her job just fine. Similarly, Phil Robertson represents some very real pathologies of his culture, and his job is to provide a look into the reality of that culture to the TV viewer.

In some sense, when Robertson compares gays to terrorists, he's doing his job, too. So I'm sympathetic to the idea that A&E shouldn't suspend him for this. But if they shouldn't suspend him, it's because it's acceptable for Robertson to say unacceptable things, not because his remarks were acceptable.

Read more: There Are Two Americas, And One Is Better Than The Other - Business Insider
Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #43
Galeonbroad

Quote:
In one America, it's O.K. to attribute the Pearl Harbor attacks to Shinto Buddhists' failure to accept Jesus. In the other America, that is not O.K.

Wait what?

It's an interesting piece, I do think he's right though. That if you said these things on any other job, you'd likely be fired. Because it is just wrong to say.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

there are some who blame the plight of Haiti on it's failure to adopt Christianity and stick with voodoo.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #45
Galeonbroad

Wow I never heard that before!