Drug Testing Welfare Recipients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think welfare is abused all the time.

But for one political party to blow what is tenths of pennies wasted on the dollar into some sort of national crisis, while allowing defense spending and oil subsidies to continue unchecked, absolutely deserves ridicule. And we won't even get into the race baiting of the "welfare queen."

Exactly. This is all a sideshow.

which kind of goes to show that it's not really a big deal to begin with

Unless of course you're someone else I know who had already sold all of their foodstamps, and so, stole their mother's and sold theirs as well in order to buy pot.

Again, I'm sure this is not the norm behavior, but it's all the behavior I have experienced in my own life.

But when we're talking about marijuana, that's so arbitrary. Are the people spending it on weed in states where it's no longer criminalized okay to do so?

Playing devil's advocate, it's still a violation of federal law and should be viewed the same as other illegal substances with respect to federal dollars.

Federal employees in Washington and Colorado can still be fired for popping positive for marijuana on a drug screen, and by the way they are subject to random drug testing.

...and lost in all of this are several court decisions finding this to be a warrantless search, and as such unconstitutional.

Being eligible to receive benefits of this nature is not probable cause for such a search.

...and lost in all of this are several court decisions finding this to be a warrantless search, and as such unconstitutional.

Being eligible to receive benefits of this nature is not probable cause for such a search.
that had popped in my head later. that's true, too. the welfare department wouldn't be able to argue that every single recipient was suspected of drug use, either to get around it.

Back
Top Bottom