Drill, baby, drill!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a little surprised that our free-market loving conservatives here are posting about the loss of these jobs so tearfully when it is becoming rather obvious to anyone with one iota of business sense that there are far more sound investments that the private sector can make than drilling in the Gulf.

Again, which industries do you suggest?

From which countries would America import more oil?

I think it's pretty obvious that a move towards renewable energy is a necessity and not a choice at this point. Is America so lacking in innovation these days that oil is the extent of its energy-related vision?

I love how your response is to immediately wonder where you'd get MORE oil from.

This is still an overwhelmingly carbon-based economy, and won't be changing anytime soon. Oil is relatively cheap. Planes, trains, and automobiles, etc...they all run on carbon. Realistically, if we wound down Gulf production it would be replaced with more imports.

Which green jobs are you advocating for Louisiana and Mississippi to replace oil production...and would they be funded privately or by stimulus funds?

This is still an overwhelmingly carbon-based economy, and won't be changing anytime soon. Oil is relatively cheap. Planes, trains, and automobiles, etc...they all run on carbon. Realistically, if we wound down Gulf production it would be replaced with more imports.

Virgin (and I think Continental) have flown jets with 50 percent biodiesel.

My local train runs on electricity. How we get that electricity is another story for now.

My car is a hybrid (roughly 44 mpg), and I'm considering putting down a deposit on a Wheego Electric.
Wheego Electric Cars

Rather than thinking about it as winding down domestic oil production, let's think of it as increasing the use of other resources. It works.

Which green jobs are you advocating for Louisiana and Mississippi to replace oil production...and would they be funded privately or by stimulus funds?

There are other industries for Louisiana. Why not ethanol and biodiesel production? The infrastructure is there, so I've been told.

There are things like this, too:

lite

Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise--Jindal's thinking ahead, too.

what about the gas shortages in the late 70s and also during world war 2? people just fucking dealt with it. i've been told of people getting up even earlier for work to camp out at the gas station, only to then find out they're out of gas so you've wasted hours for nothing.

what happened as a result of the 70s shortage? people realised driving the huge tanks they had been were a waste of money, and more fuel-efficient cars were made. why is this not happening now? why is there no massive public outcry (granted some do want this but it's not the vast majority it seemed to be then) for better cars that use less gas and/or alternative fuel sources?

oh that's right. thanks to the 80s and 90s, people as a whole have become more selfish. can you imagine if we had another war that led to rationing? people wouldn't stand for it. what do you mean there's a banana ration and i can't have my smoothie? make me my damn smoothie like i ordered.

it scares me that while some more of the average joes are realising alternative sources are what's needed, still a vast majority of people are clinging to their shell oil to fill up their excursion.

But, they want more/wider roads because traffic is horrible.
"I mean, it takes me likes over an hour to get to work one way." :doh:
:lol: exactly. i mean, a dream job for me would be one where i can work from home or one where i can walk to it easily. i know it can't be that easy for everyone and there's people who don't want to live downtown, but there's definitely some middle ground between living across the street and living 50 miles away.

My father drives well over 50 every day. Just about 70. I drive over 20.

Well, I don't want to get into a fight here, but that's a lot of miles to drive.
These are choices that we make. And, there are real consequences to them.

Americans do not pay the full cost of our gas and road addiction.

Is there a price per gallon that your father would consider a change, either in job location or where he lives?

Well, I don't want to get into a fight here, but that's a lot of miles to drive.
These are choices that we make. And, there are real consequences to them.

Americans do not pay the full cost of our gas and road addiction.

Is there a price per gallon that your father would consider a change, either in job location or where he lives?
I don't get offended by anything on the Internet, so don't worry about that.

I don't think so. He's been working that far away for about a decade now, there've been some pretty high prices during that time period. He changed cars a few years ago to get something with better mileage. But we've been living here for nearly fifteen years, and his company only has one location because it's a small business. He can't transfer, and he really doesn't want to move since my family's so settled (I have several younger siblings).

:lol: exactly. i mean, a dream job for me would be one where i can work from home or one where i can walk to it easily. i know it can't be that easy for everyone and there's people who don't want to live downtown, but there's definitely some middle ground between living across the street and living 50 miles away.

I pay a very high premium to be living where I am right now but I can walk to the office in about 25 minutes or get there in 10 by public transit.

I could have an extra vacation or two per year if I lived out in suburbia instead. This is even with gas and parking expenses. There is very little incentive for most people to make this sort of switch as long as gas is cheap - and it is cheap, despite North American whining.

Virgin (and I think Continental) have flown jets with 50 percent biodiesel.

My local train runs on electricity. How we get that electricity is another story for now.

My car is a hybrid (roughly 44 mpg), and I'm considering putting down a deposit on a Wheego Electric.
Wheego Electric Cars

Rather than thinking about it as winding down domestic oil production, let's think of it as increasing the use of other resources. It works.

I agree.

Some folks try to set up a false choice between oil exploration and green energy. Let's have both.

:wave: Tony, now you have your life back

Mr. Hayward earned £1.045 million ($1.6 million) in 2009, a tally that rose to £4 million with bonuses.

Mr. Hayward is also entitled to his BP pension; as of Dec. 31, 2009, he had accrued £10.84 million in his pension account.

it's less scandalous than banking earnings, if we're honest.

True. He got bonuses for following the US' pathetic regulations.

Banking people got bonuses for skirting laws and running their companies into the ground while accepting government bailout money.

I'd like to see them all strung up. Make them live on the equivalent of their employees' pensions and social security.

i can't seem to find any info on it other than this: Live: Shutting Down BP Stations All Over Central London | Greenpeace UK

greenpeace uk is shutting down uk bp stations. they're shutting off the fuel at the stations by using the emergency fuel switch, and then also removing the switch itself. this way, the fuel can't come back on until an engineer is called in to replace the switch.

What I don't understand (and here's my RINO coming to the fore), why in the world does Conservatives of every ilk I'm talking about members of the Senate, Congress, the stupid Talking Heads ie Rush, Hannity.... actually covet the Oil Industry? They always talk how un American the Democrats are but they support an Industry that bank rolls country's and groups that want to destroy America. Talk about irony and it just drives me crazy. Am I wrong on thinking this way?

:edit: I do understand Big Oil does put a huge amount of $$$$$$$$$ into these peoples pockets but I think it's a matter of National Security.

What I don't understand (and here's my RINO coming to the fore), why in the world does Conservatives of every ilk I'm talking about members of the Senate, Congress, the stupid Talking Heads ie Rush, Hannity.... actually covet the Oil Industry? They always talk how un American the Democrats are but they support an Industry that bank rolls country's and groups that want to destroy America. Talk about irony and it just drives me crazy. Am I wrong on thinking this way?

:edit: I do understand Big Oil does put a huge amount of $$$$$$$$$ into these peoples pockets but I think it's a matter of National Security.

I posted a few pages back how the U.S. military is starting to embrace alternative fuels/electric vehicles. You'd think the neo-con talking heads would take this as a sign and realize that their thinking is behind the times even when it comes to the organization that they beat their chests over but actually never served in. :rolleyes:

The world is moving past these idiots.

I think there are two reasons.

1. $$$, conservatives by definition aren't exactly big picture people, and any change will cost money.

2. And this is a problem for both the major political parties, the "just embrace the opposite of what the other party stands for" mentality.

It's politics, so naturally these issues tend to become black-and-white. Conservatives already tend to lean towards the status quo, and with the face of their opposition being the most extreme environmentalists, it's easy for them to simply desire to maintain oil's dominance over our energy.

:wave: Tony, now you have your life back

Mr. Hayward earned £1.045 million ($1.6 million) in 2009, a tally that rose to £4 million with bonuses.

Mr. Hayward is also entitled to his BP pension; as of Dec. 31, 2009, he had accrued £10.84 million in his pension account.

Most ordinary people have little notion of the level of commitment it takes to run a concern as large as BP. The reality is that most people, and I include myself, wouldn't want to get up at 5 in the morning day after day, to sacrifice weekends and family time, etc. Similar applies to the banking industry. People rant and rave about well paid bankers but the reality is they simply would not be physically capable of pulling all nighters for several nights in succession and working 16-20 hour days as routine, as many traders and senior banking executives were in the late 2008 period during the worst of the credit crunch.

Couple this with the obvious blatant xenophobia of some of the US media reports (some forms of racism are still acceptable in America), and I don't blame him for comments like "I want my life back."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom