Drill, baby, drill!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe I didn't hear this until today. BP did not plan to pump this well; it was purely exploratory. They were going to check the well's potential, cap it, and then come back to pump it sometime in the future. WTF?!?!

Happens all the time. On land, back when there were hundreds of oil and drilling companies, these guys were called wildcatters.

msnbc.com

It's been a long season of embarrassment for BP, but leaking oil isn't what the blogosphere is ripping the company for today. A site called Americablog spotted a press photo of BP's Houston command center, ostensibly taken on July 16. The image had quite visibly been Photoshopped — badly — to include more on-screen camera action.

Once word got out — the story was picked up by the Washington Post, where it was then spotted by the tech blog Gizmodo and others — BP 'fessed up. A spokesman admitted that the image was altered, said that a photographer had inserted shots where the TV screens were blank, and provided the original image.

"We've instructed our post-production team to refrain from doing this in the future," said the spokesman in an e-mail to the Washington Post.

Though the command center alteration doesn't seem to be an attempt to hide facts or confuse the public, it heightens skepticism for the company at a time when it should be trying to build trust. As the Americablog reporter John Aravosis wrote, "I guess if you're doing fake crisis response, you might as well fake a photo of the crisis response center."

As it happens, the command center shot isn't the end of the issue. Today, Aravosis published evidence of another altered press photo, this one depicting a meeting from the failed "top kill" maneuver. "How many other crisis response photos from BP have been faked?" wrote Aravosis. "Did they fake any videos?"

Please don't tell us that the people in those sucking-it-up-and-taking-responsibilty ads are actually paid models!

100720_tch_bp_dumb.grid-4x2.jpg

2theadvocate.com | News | Thousands protest drilling moratorium at rally — Baton Rouge, LA
Thousands protest drilling moratorium at rally

LAFAYETTE — Thousands attended a rally in Lafayette Wednesday aimed at convincing the Obama administration to lift the federal offshore drilling moratorium, which officials said could further endanger the state through the loss of tens of thousands of jobs.

The “Rally for Economic Survival” was held at the Cajundome and drew about 11,000 people, some dressed in their oil industry uniforms, others in shirts bearing messages of “Drill Baby Drill” and “No Moratorium."

Gov. Bobby Jindal, one of 12 speakers at the two-hour event, pleaded with President Barack Obama to “let our people work.”

Anybody see this on the NBC or CBS nightly news?

Didn't think so.

I'm a little surprised that our free-market loving conservatives here are posting about the loss of these jobs so tearfully when it is becoming rather obvious to anyone with one iota of business sense that there are far more sound investments that the private sector can make than drilling in the Gulf.

I'm a little surprised that our free-market loving conservatives here are posting about the loss of these jobs so tearfully when it is becoming rather obvious to anyone with one iota of business sense that there are far more sound investments that the private sector can make than drilling in the Gulf.

I'm interested. What do you have in mind?

With what?

Thousands protest drilling moratorium at rally

LAFAYETTE — Thousands attended a rally in Lafayette Wednesday aimed at convincing the Obama administration to lift the federal offshore drilling moratorium, which officials said could further endanger the state through the loss of tens of thousands of jobs.

The “Rally for Economic Survival” was held at the Cajundome and drew about 11,000 people, some dressed in their oil industry uniforms, others in shirts bearing messages of “Drill Baby Drill” and “No Moratorium."

Gov. Bobby Jindal, one of 12 speakers at the two-hour event, pleaded with President Barack Obama to “let our people work.”

So you agree with full steam ahead with the status quo, even after you see what can happen?

This shouldn't give us pause at all?

That's what you agree with?

Really?

So when a building fails killing some in it's fall due to a faulty foundation design...

You say, keep on building buildings with that faulty design?

That's smart :up:

Really?

So when a building fails killing some in it's fall due to a faulty foundation design...

You say, keep on building buildings with that faulty design?

That's smart :up:

Every deep-water rig is operating under the same (lack of) scrutiny that lead to Deep Water Horizon's accident.

I guess it's the same question as with car recalls and airplane crashes...How many deaths before the tipping point of greater regulation makes sense?

The difference with Deep Water, as with Global Climate Change, is that environmental damage is harder to quantify. So, maybe if more rig workers had died, then there wouldn't be the continued "Drill Baby Drill" rally.

To be certain, I'm not saying that I wanted more workers to die. I'm just pointing out that maybe if everyone on Deep Water had been killed, these rallying workers might be a little less gung ho. I think we still value human life enough that it might make a difference.

:shrug:

So you agree with full steam ahead with the status quo, even after you see what can happen?

This shouldn't give us pause at all?

That's what you agree with?

This sort of thing drives me nuts about the Republicans/Conservatives and there minions. BVS, called me out earlier in the thread because I'm of Conservative ilk I shouldn't be able to disagree with what's going on in the Gulf because of Free Market letting itself take care of things in this case BP.

But I do think we should have a better look into these deep well drilling and come up with the corrective actions if the "Worst Case Scenerio" does come to fruition and in my mind whats happened is such a catastrophe we might be there already. It's kinda sad that because of my political views I get lumped into that crazy bunch that is running the show now. At times I wonder if I'm the last middle of the road Republican (RINO in there vernacular) left. I remember in years past that we used to say that the Democrats are like Automatons with there thoughts and holding the party line but now I think the Republicans are worse, like the "either your with them or your seen as the enemy" if you have differing views. :hmm:

This sort of thing drives me nuts about the Republicans/Conservatives and there minions. BVS, called me out earlier in the thread because I'm of Conservative ilk I shouldn't be able to disagree with what's going on in the Gulf because of Free Market letting itself take care of things in this case BP.

But I do think we should have a better look into these deep well drilling and come up with the corrective actions if the "Worst Case Scenerio" does come to fruition and in my mind whats happened is such a catastrophe we might be there already. It's kinda sad that because of my political views I get lumped into that crazy bunch that is running the show now. At times I wonder if I'm the last middle of the road Republican (RINO in there vernacular) left. I remember in years past that we used to say that the Democrats are like Automatons with there thoughts and holding the party line but now I think the Republicans are worse, like the "either your with them or your seen as the enemy" if you have differing views. :hmm:

Thanks for the honesty.

What drives me crazy are people who get elected and stay elected yet claim that government is the enemy. A thoughtful Republican should know what they want a limited government to do for the U.S. and work to implement it.
But, this claiming that government regulation is ruining America and that government is the enemy of progress...
Then Why Do You Want To Be A Part Of It?!?! It's dishonest.

If you don't believe in what you do or aren't actively trying to reform it then you are a hypocrite. Or trying to deceive people.

YBORCITYOBL,

I actually admire your views of wanting to look deeper into the issue for the future.

I'm sick and tired of this "if it's broke don't fix it" mentality that INDY, iron horse, Benji and others have.

I have a feeling they read that book wrong.

Back
Top Bottom