Drill, baby, drill!! - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 09:55 PM
U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spill - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday that he has launched a criminal investigation into the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Faaaaaaantastic, deep. I can see it now *Shakes head*.

Good to hear that about a criminal investigation. I hope the people responsible for this get the punishment they deserve. Especially since 11 people died as a result of this disaster-you hardly ever hear any mention of them in the news. And I know some jobs have more of a risk to them than others, but you should at least find a way to significantly reduce the risk, if not eliminate it altogether. The fact that they had numerous safety violations makes me think jail time sounds like a good idea.

Angela

Old 06-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

It's not just Republicans who are criticizing Obama, some Democrats are too. James Carville is very angry-I think it's understandable given what New Orleans has gone through. They don't want to feel abandoned by the govt again. I admire him for loving that place so much.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

in a situation like this, the president does become the punching bag, which is why Obama actually stepped up and said that he was responsible.

(contrast that with "i don't think anyone anticipated the levees would break")

but this isn't good for him, that's for sure.

yet, my sympathies and concerns are with the turtles.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Ohhhhhhhhh... . Poor baby.

I applaud the fact that Obama said he was to be held responsible. It's really refreshing to hear a politician say that. I understand the anger, definitely, but at the same time, like you stated in the "Obama General Discussion" thread, Irvine, I don't know what exactly they want him to do. I don't know what exactly he can do, other than maybe use this as a time to make the case to get us off oil permanently.

I just find it interesting that Republicans want him to get involved-Governor Jindal was on TV recently making a big case out of it. But...that'd be the federal government interfering, would it not?

Angela
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

I read that Kevin Costner was working on it too. Waterworld?

AP WASHINGTON — "Top kill" didn't stop the Gulf oil spill. How about something "titanic"?

Federal officials are hoping film director James Cameron can help them come up with ideas on how to stop the disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The "Avatar" and "Titanic" director was among a group of scientists and other experts who met Tuesday with officials from the Environmental Protection Agency and other federal agencies for a brainstorming session on stopping the massive oil leak.

The Canadian-born Cameron is considered an expert on underwater filming and remote vehicle technologies.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:55 PM
YouTube - South Park - Michael Bay
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
say what you will about mel gibson but the son of a bitch knows story structure...

what's sad is that the first thing i thought of when i heard the news report this morning about james cameron coming in to help with the oil leak was "holy fucking shit, our world has turned into imaginationland."

well done
Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I read that Kevin Costner was working on it too. Waterworld?

AP WASHINGTON — "Top kill" didn't stop the Gulf oil spill. How about something "titanic"?

Federal officials are hoping film director James Cameron can help them come up with ideas on how to stop the disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The "Avatar" and "Titanic" director was among a group of scientists and other experts who met Tuesday with officials from the Environmental Protection Agency and other federal agencies for a brainstorming session on stopping the massive oil leak.

The Canadian-born Cameron is considered an expert on underwater filming and remote vehicle technologies.

this pisses me off that they have no fucking clue what to do and now they have turned to Hollywood!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVelvetDress_75 View Post

this pisses me off that they have no fucking clue what to do and now they have turned to Hollywood!
It appears that Hollywood has some resources to help out. This article mentions the efforts of Kevin Costner and James Cameron: Kevin Costner may hold key to oil spill cleanup - latimes.com

Quote:
Costner has invested 15 years and about $24 million in a novel way of sifting oil spills that he began working on while making his own maritime film, "Waterworld," released in 1995.

Two decades later, BP and the U.S. Coast Guard plan to test six of his massive, stainless steel centrifugal oil separators next week.

[...]

Houghtaling said Costner bought the technology, which was originally developed with help from the Department of Energy, after the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster and turned it over to a team of scientists and engineers for fine-tuning.

"The machines are essentially like big vacuum cleaners, which sit on barges and suck up oily water and spin it around at high speed," Houghtaling said. "On one side, it spits out pure oil, which can be recovered. The other side spits out 99% pure water."
Quote:
Meanwhile, "Avatar" director James Cameron has said that he would make his underwater vessels available
Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Dying, dead marine wildlife paint dark, morbid picture of Gulf Coast following oil spill

Here's what President Obama didn't see when he visited the Gulf Coast: a dead dolphin rotting in the shore weeds.

"When we found this dolphin it was filled with oil. Oil was just pouring out of it. It was the saddest darn thing to look at," said a BP contract worker who took the Daily News on a surreptitious tour of the wildlife disaster unfolding in Louisiana.

His motive: simple outrage.

"There is a lot of coverup for BP. They specifically informed us that they don't want these pictures of the dead animals. They know the ocean will wipe away most of the evidence. It's important to me that people know the truth about what's going on here," the contractor said.

"The things I've seen: They just aren't right. All the life out here is just full of oil. I'm going to show you what BP never showed the President."

The day was 85 degrees, the blue sky almost white with sunshine, the air fresh with salt tang.

After checking that he was unobserved, he motored out to Queen Bess barrier island, known to the locals as Bird Island.

The grasses by the shore were littered with tarred marine life, some dead and others struggling under a thick coating of crude.

"When you see some of the things I've seen, it would make you sick," the contractor said. "No living creature should endure that kind of suffering."
Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE=MrsSpringsteen;6787308]

Dying, dead marine wildlife paint dark, morbid picture of Gulf Coast following oil spill

Here's what President Obama didn't see when he visited the Gulf Coast: a dead dolphin rotting in the shore weeds.

"When we found this dolphin it was filled with oil. Oil was just pouring out of it. It was the saddest darn thing to look at," said a BP contract worker who took the Daily News on a surreptitious tour of the wildlife disaster unfolding in Louisiana.

This is Heartbreaking to me, how could we have allowed this to happen? Where's the oversight? Why isn't our Gov't protecting our homeland? Why have we put these imbiciles in year after year just to fail us all.

After 8 years of no leadership in the White Housefrom the previous administration, we obviously are seeing prolly 4-8 years more. We as a Nation must take a hard look at who/how/why we elect these public officials, I think we need to listen more for leadership qualities then either someone who "we'd like to have a beer with" or someone who thinks they are the smartest person in the room every time.

ONCE AGAIN OUR GOV'T FAILED ALL OF US.

THIS FUING UNACCEPTABLE
Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh... . Poor baby.

I applaud the fact that Obama said he was to be held responsible. It's really refreshing to hear a politician say that. I understand the anger, definitely, but at the same time, like you stated in the "Obama General Discussion" thread, Irvine, I don't know what exactly they want him to do. I don't know what exactly he can do, other than maybe use this as a time to make the case to get us off oil permanently.

I just find it interesting that Republicans want him to get involved-Governor Jindal was on TV recently making a big case out of it. But...that'd be the federal government interfering, would it not?

Angela
So Moonlit and Irvine, just to get this straight, you are satisfied with the way the Administration has handled this so far? You're happy that the Gov't allowed BP to underestimate the sheer volume of oil pouring into the Gulf? You guys were happy that although BP claimed that all of this will have a small impact on the marine life and that NOAA (another obviously bought off Gov't Admin.) defended these claims? And happy when the Parish Leaders on the ground in LA were begging to be allowed to construct "sand berms (sic?)" to deflect the oil from getting into the fragile wetlands which at this point Obama is "considering" but we all know it's too late because the oil is there? You guys are good with all of this? Then you REALLY must have been ecstatic with the prior failed administration.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #119
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBORCITYOBL View Post
You're happy that the Gov't allowed BP to underestimate the sheer volume of oil pouring into the Gulf? You guys were happy that although BP claimed that all of this will have a small impact on the marine life and that NOAA (another obviously bought off Gov't Admin.) defended these claims?
I'm really not sure what these two have to do with anything.

BP underestimating their failure? Say it isn't so. What was the government suppose to do about that part?

This was a failure on the preset side, the proper measures weren't made to ensure this didn't happen, or to have a plan if it did.

What else do you do? I understand the anger, but honestly how do you stop something that hasn't been imagined before?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #120
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
... how do you stop something that hasn't been imagined before?
You invade Iraq?