Drill, baby, drill!! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #61
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
The news coverage of this is really frustrating. Does anyone know exactly where the oil slicks have hit land? All I can find are sensationalized pictures and political banter.
There's a good collection of articles at the Southern politics blog Facing South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you know, i never liked Florida anyway.
It's got some of the best nature travel, from hiking and kayaking to diving, of any state in the lower 48...we love it for winter vacations. Can't speak to what it's like to live there, though my mother was certainly happy with that. The bigger cities aren't necessarily very interesting, though Miami has some great museums, restaurants, etc.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:51 AM   #62
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
The news coverage of this is really frustrating. Does anyone know exactly where the oil slicks have hit land? All I can find are sensationalized pictures and political banter.

As for the dead animals, I keep coming across these pics but they all say "cause of death undetermined". Not trying to undermine the possibly catastrophic consequences here but I've walked these beaches every year and see dead birds, fish, dolphins, rays, sharks, etc. You all know I love animals and my life revolves around dogs but it's kind of disturbing to see more coverage about a few dead fish than the people that died because of this.
i think i heard in the news this morning, but i don't remember what they said. i think i remember hearing west florida, but regardless, that's kinda vague.

and i totally agree. i too love animals and am a big supporter of things like wwf, but like you said, there's practically no mention of the people that died. the only thing i can figure is because they can get photos of the dead fishes and such washing up on the shore, but there's nothing to show of the people. regardless, it's insane.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It's got some of the best nature travel, from hiking and kayaking to diving, of any state in the lower 48...we love it for winter vacations.

that may be well and true, but those pluses pale in comparison to the need to continually pump our SUV's full of oil. if we have to sacrifice one state in order to keep that beautiful, beautiful organic oil flowing cheaply into our dystopic exurban sprawl, then so be it. we have 49 more.

drill, baby, drill!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
though Miami has some great museums
where?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
that may be well and true, but those pluses pale in comparison to the need to continually pump our SUV's full of oil. if we have to sacrifice one state in order to keep that beautiful, beautiful organic oil flowing cheaply into our dystopic exurban sprawl, then so be it. we have 49 more.

drill, baby, drill!
You do realize that... this doesn't work, right?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:54 AM
i saw a car yesterday with a license plate surround that said powered by jesus.

the fucken christians are holding out on us.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Reporting from Boston — Yet-Ming Chiang relishes his 20-mile drive to work. His hybrid car gets more than 100 miles per gallon, recharges by plugging into a regular wall outlet and purrs so quietly that it's his favorite place for making important phone calls.
Fighting for 'made in the USA' - Los Angeles Times
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #68
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
^Interesting article. Ironically, it almost certainly will be high oil prices that bring manufacturing back to the U.S., or at least North America. That and China is finding demand for their products right in Asia and China itself.

I lease a Honda Civic Hybrid right now, and I love it. My lowest MPG is around 35-38, but with a little careful driving, I can get 50 MPG or better. So, my average is about 43 MPG.

My lease is up next March, and I'm really hoping to get an all electric car or at least a plug-in hybrid. I love not being a slave to the gas pump, both for price and the number of times I fill up. I wish more people would think of that. 15 minutes at the gas station adds up if you are doing it several times per week, not to mention what you are paying.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #69
has a

When the Iraq war started, I contacted 2 local gas station chains and asked what countries their oil came from. I was surprised that they both responded; one even gave me percentages. One company (Ashland Oil dba Super America ironically) bought all of their gas from Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq. The other company (Holiday) got all of their oil from Canada and a small percentage from Oklahoma and Texas. This prompted me to contact my Senators and Rep. to ask that we put "Country of Origin" labels on our gas pumps. It either was ignored, or then Senator Dayton responded that it was just not a realistic requirement. I read the response/nonresponses as we don't want protesting/rioting at gas stations where the oil comes from questionable countries.

PATHETIC. So much for informed consumers. Needless to say I try and get gas from Holiday. I should check again to see if the countries have changed.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
You do realize that... this doesn't work, right?

i know, right?

FUCK the gulf coast. you've got to drive your kids to Ruby Tuesday's after soccer practice, and that's like 35 miles away down a straight road that plows through an old corn field and is lined with shitty box store strip malls the whole way.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
^Interesting article. Ironically, it almost certainly will be high oil prices that bring manufacturing back to the U.S., or at least North America. That and China is finding demand for their products right in Asia and China itself.

I lease a Honda Civic Hybrid right now, and I love it. My lowest MPG is around 35-38, but with a little careful driving, I can get 50 MPG or better. So, my average is about 43 MPG.

My lease is up next March, and I'm really hoping to get an all electric car or at least a plug-in hybrid. I love not being a slave to the gas pump, both for price and the number of times I fill up. I wish more people would think of that. 15 minutes at the gas station adds up if you are doing it several times per week, not to mention what you are paying.
In 1980 when I was 24, I bought a new 240 D Mercedes. $18700. The first thing I did was change out the 17 gallon tank for a 35 gallon tank. I only lost 4-5 inches of trunk space.
It was a manual 4 speed.

I got about 750 miles to the tank. Yes it took a little longer to fill the tank. But I figured I saved a lot of time not having to look for diesel stations, leave my route and get back in traffic.

I drove that car 400000 miles. I know I spent a lot less time in filling stations. My current car only goes about 260-290 miles on a tank.

I'd love to get 100 per gallon, or even 50.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #72
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
When the Iraq war started, I contacted 2 local gas station chains and asked what countries their oil came from. I was surprised that they both responded; one even gave me percentages. One company (Ashland Oil dba Super America ironically) bought all of their gas from Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq. The other company (Holiday) got all of their oil from Canada and a small percentage from Oklahoma and Texas. This prompted me to contact my Senators and Rep. to ask that we put "Country of Origin" labels on our gas pumps. It either was ignored, or then Senator Dayton responded that it was just not a realistic requirement. I read the response/nonresponses as we don't want protesting/rioting at gas stations where the oil comes from questionable countries.

PATHETIC. So much for informed consumers. Needless to say I try and get gas from Holiday. I should check again to see if the countries have changed.
agreed. as far as american chains go, i know valero says they get their gas from america. (though of course they could get 10% from america and the rest from the middle east.) another is sunoco. neither is in my area though, which bums me out. i definitely think we should keep consumers informed - after all, when you buy a $2 shirt from wal-mart, even that has a tag saying where it was made.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Citco gasoline is from oil produced in america.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #74
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Citco gasoline is from oil produced in america.
That's strange considering it's owned by PDVSA. I guess it's oil imported from Venezuela and refined in the US?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Venezuela is in America