Drill, baby, drill!! - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #376
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
why is there no massive public outcry (granted some do want this but it's not the vast majority it seemed to be then) for better cars that use less gas and/or alternative fuel sources?

because the oil companies were running the US government from 2001-2009.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #377
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
exactly. i mean, a dream job for me would be one where i can work from home or one where i can walk to it easily. i know it can't be that easy for everyone and there's people who don't want to live downtown, but there's definitely some middle ground between living across the street and living 50 miles away.
I pay a very high premium to be living where I am right now but I can walk to the office in about 25 minutes or get there in 10 by public transit.

I could have an extra vacation or two per year if I lived out in suburbia instead. This is even with gas and parking expenses. There is very little incentive for most people to make this sort of switch as long as gas is cheap - and it is cheap, despite North American whining.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #378
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Virgin (and I think Continental) have flown jets with 50 percent biodiesel.

My local train runs on electricity. How we get that electricity is another story for now.

My car is a hybrid (roughly 44 mpg), and I'm considering putting down a deposit on a Wheego Electric.
Wheego Electric Cars

Rather than thinking about it as winding down domestic oil production, let's think of it as increasing the use of other resources. It works.
I agree.

Some folks try to set up a false choice between oil exploration and green energy. Let's have both.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #379
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
But, they want more/wider roads because traffic is horrible.
"I mean, it takes me likes over an hour to get to work one way."
why should i pay for something i use? that's communism. let everyone else pay for it!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #380
Blue Crack Addict

Tony, now you have your life back

Mr. Hayward earned £1.045 million ($1.6 million) in 2009, a tally that rose to £4 million with bonuses.

Mr. Hayward is also entitled to his BP pension; as of Dec. 31, 2009, he had accrued £10.84 million in his pension account.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #381
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Mr. Hayward earned £1.045 million ($1.6 million) in 2009, a tally that rose to £4 million with bonuses.

Mr. Hayward is also entitled to his BP pension; as of Dec. 31, 2009, he had accrued £10.84 million in his pension account.
it's less scandalous than banking earnings, if we're honest.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #382
has a

Local Time: 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
it's less scandalous than banking earnings, if we're honest.
True. He got bonuses for following the US' pathetic regulations.

Banking people got bonuses for skirting laws and running their companies into the ground while accepting government bailout money.

I'd like to see them all strung up. Make them live on the equivalent of their employees' pensions and social security.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #383
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i can't seem to find any info on it other than this: Live: Shutting Down BP Stations All Over Central London | Greenpeace UK

greenpeace uk is shutting down uk bp stations. they're shutting off the fuel at the stations by using the emergency fuel switch, and then also removing the switch itself. this way, the fuel can't come back on until an engineer is called in to replace the switch.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #384
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:38 PM
let's hope those people get arrested
Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What I don't understand (and here's my RINO coming to the fore), why in the world does Conservatives of every ilk I'm talking about members of the Senate, Congress, the stupid Talking Heads ie Rush, Hannity.... actually covet the Oil Industry? They always talk how un American the Democrats are but they support an Industry that bank rolls country's and groups that want to destroy America. Talk about irony and it just drives me crazy. Am I wrong on thinking this way?

:edit: I do understand Big Oil does put a huge amount of $$$$$$$$$ into these peoples pockets but I think it's a matter of National Security.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #386
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBORCITYOBL View Post
What I don't understand (and here's my RINO coming to the fore), why in the world does Conservatives of every ilk I'm talking about members of the Senate, Congress, the stupid Talking Heads ie Rush, Hannity.... actually covet the Oil Industry? They always talk how un American the Democrats are but they support an Industry that bank rolls country's and groups that want to destroy America. Talk about irony and it just drives me crazy. Am I wrong on thinking this way?

:edit: I do understand Big Oil does put a huge amount of $$$$$$$$$ into these peoples pockets but I think it's a matter of National Security.
I posted a few pages back how the U.S. military is starting to embrace alternative fuels/electric vehicles. You'd think the neo-con talking heads would take this as a sign and realize that their thinking is behind the times even when it comes to the organization that they beat their chests over but actually never served in.

The world is moving past these idiots.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #387
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I think there are two reasons.

1. $$$, conservatives by definition aren't exactly big picture people, and any change will cost money.

2. And this is a problem for both the major political parties, the "just embrace the opposite of what the other party stands for" mentality.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #388
Blue Crack Supplier

i do find it deliciously entertaining that Tony "I Want My Life Back" Hayward is being shipped off to SIBERIA!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #389
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

It's politics, so naturally these issues tend to become black-and-white. Conservatives already tend to lean towards the status quo, and with the face of their opposition being the most extreme environmentalists, it's easy for them to simply desire to maintain oil's dominance over our energy.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #390
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Most ordinary people have little notion of the level of commitment it takes to run a concern as large as BP. The reality is that most people, and I include myself, wouldn't want to get up at 5 in the morning day after day, to sacrifice weekends and family time, etc. Similar applies to the banking industry. People rant and rave about well paid bankers but the reality is they simply would not be physically capable of pulling all nighters for several nights in succession and working 16-20 hour days as routine, as many traders and senior banking executives were in the late 2008 period during the worst of the credit crunch.

Couple this with the obvious blatant xenophobia of some of the US media reports (some forms of racism are still acceptable in America), and I don't blame him for comments like "I want my life back."