Drill, baby, drill!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most ordinary people have little notion of the level of commitment it takes to run a concern as large as BP. The reality is that most people, and I include myself, wouldn't want to get up at 5 in the morning day after day, to sacrifice weekends and family time, etc. Similar applies to the banking industry. People rant and rave about well paid bankers but the reality is they simply would not be physically capable of pulling all nighters for several nights in succession and working 16-20 hour days as routine, as many traders and senior banking executives were in the late 2008 period during the worst of the credit crunch.

You just described starting up and running your own small business, too. :wink: I know my wife deserves a big raise.

Execs and CEOs are overpaid, and it is because corporate boards allow it and shareholders have no fucking clue what they're voting for (if they even vote their shares).

Minimal accountability.

Couple this with the obvious blatant xenophobia of some of the US media reports (some forms of racism are still acceptable in America), and I don't blame him for comments like "I want my life back."

From what I understand this is a fairly common expression and is misunderstood by the American public. Understandable.

Not understandable: Being paid ridiculous sums as an international CEO and not knowing what people may misinterpret. That is your job.

When people die because of your shortcuts to save your company some money (if that's true and I believe it probably is), and you say you want your life back it's f'ing insensitive, to say the least. So I don't really care about the rest. It's about human beings and death and loss, not numbers. Tony didn't die or lose a family member.

When people die because of your shortcuts to save your company some money (if that's true and I believe it probably is), and you say you want your life back it's f'ing insensitive, to say the least. So I don't really care about the rest. It's about human beings and death and loss, not numbers. Tony didn't die or lose a family member.
agreed.

to be honest, to me he seemed to be truly sorry about what's happened at first. but then when it went on for so long and the oil kept gushing out, he got frustrated as if the media and the whole country should've just forgotten all about this. sorry you're being held accountable for your actions, dude.

Pictures here

Water & Oil - Vogue.it

yahoo.com

A new 24-page fashion spread in the September issue of Italian Vogue features model Kristen McMenamy wearing oil-soaked black feathered outfits, withering away on a beach. Famed photographer Steven Meisel shot the controversial Gulf disaster-inspired images of McMenamy caught in nets, spitting up oil, and flopping like a dying seal on rocks. But while the images are powerful and striking, we're left wondering whether they were done in good taste.

Without question the photographs are beautifully constructed, and overwhelmingly dark. They bring about a sense of urgency that makes you want to educate yourself, donate money, or help in clean up efforts. But we do question the intentions of Italian Vogue, and whether or not they wanted to make a poignant statement or merely hoped to get attention by being provocative. We reached out to Italian Vogue for comment, but have not heard back as of press time.

Thus far there is one piece of evidence that leads us to believe this project had a positive objective. The seaweed-style necklace on the cover of the issue (and in several other shots) is made by eco-designer Kathleen Nowak Tucci of My Sister's Art, and made from recycled inner tubes sourced from the Gulf Coast. She told New York magazine that she did not find Meisel's spread offensive. "I thought it was disturbing and thought-provoking and utterly fascinating in its interpretation of the struggle for survival," Tucci told New York via email. "It is controversial and interpretative, which is indicative of great artistic expression." Knowing that Vogue stylists actively chose to highlight an eco-friendly item from the Gulf makes us feel better about the statement being made.

Here is what the fashion world is saying about the provocative photo spread:

"Glamorizing this recent ecological and social disaster for the sake of "fashion" reduces the tragic event to nothing more than attention-grabbing newsstand fodder." - Refinery29

"It's at once beautiful and revolting, eye-catching and alienating. So what is it: ballsy fashion journalism rooted in reality, or just a sick glamorization of a traumatic event?" - New York magazine's The Cut

"While the irony of using clothing worth thousands of dollars that was probably flown halfway around the world for the shoot is not lost on us, we can’t help but think that if this isn’t art, we don’t know what is." - Styleite

"Context is everything, and instead of being moved emotionally, the only actions that seem right in reaction to this inappropriate spread which aims to shock and awe are a wrinkling of the nose and a rolling of the eyes." - Jezebel

"For fashion Meisel's photos don't give you much to take away, but as art the imagery is poignant and intense. And we like to occasionally be reminded that it's possible for fashion photography to be so." - Fashionising

"Who does this make you loathe more, BP or the fashion industry?" - Fast Company

mr_1ccd0d0ad2094d.jpg

ori_e68075ccbc6729.jpg

mr_6b24eada17f09e.jpg

mr_026170d22711bc.jpg

I have a feeling this will not be on the same level as the BP disaster.

Also, how often do these incidents happen?

Could these be targeted attacks?

^^Ya they are planned alright! By the oil industry lobby that pay our Congress to NOT regulate safety restrictions so they can cut corners and make more money. Just like all the mining accidents that seem to happen in rapid succession. They cut corners on safety to make more money. Really, it is that simple. Profits before people.

It's sickening.:angry::|

Back
Top Bottom